WCI Job Board/Posting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WCI Job Board/Posting

Is there a WCI physician position posting board? If not have we thought about having one? Perhaps it would be most useful if only physicians and not recruiting firms could post. To make it not the generic postings, we could try to explain how this position fits the "WCI lifestyle" or something like that. It also might be neat to see if some of our frequent posters who have great positions have open positions in their practice they would like to share.

We often hear the stories of the primary care (or any other) physicians that are struggling under debt in HCOL with low paying positions but this may be a way to reach out to them other then the sound financial advice of WCI.

I would think in order to do that and it be "safe" then that job board would have to be private, with only verifiable physicians being about to access it. Can imagine if recruiters, or hospital administrators were to have access to the those job postings that it would muddy things up even more, both for those hiring and those searching? I think POF has a job board, but it acts more like a search engine IMO, as it pulls the same job postings that you find on Indeed, Simply hired, or some of the other general physician recruiter websites.

Comment

Im not sure you want to advertise the WCI lifestyle as a perk or quality to the recruiters as its pretty much not what people want. A bunch of prospects that are frugal, FI or soon to be, able, willing, and some planning to retire mid 40s. Not exactly comforting to those hiring.

Non WCI types are great for employment, debt, never FI, buy houses immediately, need to work just to cover monthly expenses. Those guys are perfect.  

Comment

I definitely agree that postings should only be by verifiable physicians, so I am not sure how we could do that.  I do not think anyone wants anymore generic postings etc.  I just thought it would be neat to have a way for physicians who are financially like minded to be able to say, "Hey, we have a job open and it actually is pretty great. It has loan repayment and the clinical time is not over burdened with administrators, etc".

I also do have a position open in our practice so that might be my other motivation.

Comment

We could certainly allow people to do that on the forums. I do have some advertisers who advertise jobs, one already and one coming on soon. But there's no reason both can't be done together or separately.
          Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

Im not sure you want to advertise the WCI lifestyle as a perk or quality to the recruiters as its pretty much not what people want. A bunch of prospects that are frugal, FI or soon to be, able, willing, and some planning to retire mid 40s. Not exactly comforting to those hiring.

Non WCI types are great for employment, debt, never FI, buy houses immediately, need to work just to cover monthly expenses. Those guys are perfect.

While the recruiters may not like it, I would love to have a partner who has a similar WCI mindset. Another reason to discourage recruiters and encourage real docs to post openings in their practice.

Comment

We could certainly allow people to do that on the forums. I do have some advertisers who advertise jobs, one already and one coming on soon. But there’s no reason both can’t be done together or separately.

Will they have their own "sub forum"? Will all the job postings be on one thread?

Comment

I think it would be better if they were just a subforum each with its own thread, no?
                Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

I think it would be better if they were just a subforum each with its own thread, no?

I think that would work, however when I come to the forum I look at the whole forum. I am not sure everyone would want to see a bunch of generic job postings at the top of the list all the time. That was why I was proposing making it personal or by physicians only. I could see the recruiters having a field day reposting daily.

Comment

Here is an example of a personal physician job posting, not written by a recruiter that I have in mind:

My group has a primary care position open taking care of mainly geriatric patients in skilled nursing facilities and assisted living facilities. We are looking for a physician trained either in internal medicine or family medicine. While geriatric experience would be ideal, an interest in geriatric patients is all that is required.  If you are a WCI enthusiast this job might be for you because:

1. Take advantage of geographic arbitrage - http://www.physicianonfire.com/geographicarbitrage/. We are located in central Washington state in a community of about 80,000 where there are endless outdoor activities. The compensation package is above average for this field of work. 

2. Loan repayment up to $120,000 by the medical group.

3. Extended sick leave or maternity leave of 60 days.

4. Enjoy living in a state without an income tax. 

While not unique to WCI enthusiasts, this position is also great for people with family commitments. The hours are more flexible then a rigid in-clinic schedule.  If you have a partner in medicine, our practice will help explore options for your partner.  If you are interested please feel free to message me on the forum.

Comment

I think POF has a job board, but it acts more like a search engine IMO, as it pulls the same job postings that you find on Indeed, Simply hired, or some of the other general physician recruiter websites.

True. My Job Board is Zip Recruiter based. I decided to post it because it actually pulls from physician specific sites (like Gaswork.com for anesthesiologist jobs) and defaults to your local zip code. Seemed better targeted than sites like Indeed or Monster, etc... where you get jobs for medical transcription, CNAs and other jobs that we're a little overqualified for among the results.

In my experience, the best jobs are filled by word-of-mouth, but that is specialty dependent.

Comment

In my experience, the best jobs are filled by word-of-mouth, but that is specialty dependent.

I guess that is what I was hoping we could have.  Physicians that regularly post here and talk about financial issues that can then say, "Hey I have a great job opportunity".

Comment

I also think it would be great for a WCI mentoring forum where instead of job postings it would be a directory of physicians who are willing to mentor students in finance as well as navigating the path to their specialty. It is somewhat difficult to find a mentor as a student, but it is EXTREMELY difficult to find a mentor who is willing to talk about their finances with you. As a medical student talking about potential income, or finance in general, seems to be taboo.

I know this forum basically functions as that but I was thinking more of a place where you can meet up with a physician who lives in your area or something.

I have been strongly considering starting a personal finance club at my school when I get there in August. I am genuinely worried I will be shunned for it though and viewed as "going into medicine for the wrong reasons."

Job postings would be cool. If I became an Emergency physician I'd totally move to salt lake and work in Dr. Dahle's group. Or if I went into radiology I'd love to work with vagabond, seems like he's raking it in wherever he is haha....there also seems to be anesthesiologists on here that are way happier than the ones on other forums so they must have better jobs too!!

Comment

I also think it would be great for a WCI mentoring forum where instead of job postings it would be a directory of physicians who are willing to mentor students in finance as well as navigating the path to their specialty. It is somewhat difficult to find a mentor as a student, but it is EXTREMELY difficult to find a mentor who is willing to talk about their finances with you. As a medical student talking about potential income, or finance in general, seems to be taboo.

I know this forum basically functions as that but I was thinking more of a place where you can meet up with a physician who lives in your area or something.

I have been strongly considering starting a personal finance club at my school when I get there in August. I am genuinely worried I will be shunned for it though and viewed as “going into medicine for the wrong reasons.”

Job postings would be cool. If I became an Emergency physician I’d totally move to salt lake and work in Dr. Dahle’s group. Or if I went into radiology I’d love to work with vagabond, seems like he’s raking it in wherever he is haha….there also seems to be anesthesiologists on here that are way happier than the ones on other forums so they must have better jobs too!!

Do it, and dont care about what those people think. If you're not paying attention to your finances in the current climate of medicine, you're committing malpractice against yourself.

Problem with dr forums is it seems to attract curmudgeonly types that have conflated venting and actual serious complaints and can no longer tell the difference to where theyre just awful to be around. I cant stand that sermo, lasted about a week there. This board is an anomaly.

Comment

If job postings were on the forums homepage, it'd be too muddled to bother with the forum. Have to be its own separate thing ie not noticeable to people not looking for a job.

Comment

Working...
                              X