We just had training for a new EHR, and I'm seriously considering quitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We just had training for a new EHR, and I'm seriously considering quitting

I don't know how it's possible to design a system that is the exact opposite of what is efficient and straightforward, but eClinicalWorks has accomplished that by focusing on what bureaucracies want: more data and more metrics.

The software is crap, the design is crap, and there's no way to do anything without dying a little, one click and one dropdown menu at a time. Barely any way to free text. Limited places to use macros. The software is cloud based and every click has noticeable lag. Each function is in 5 different places, and differently arranged and organized in each place. We're an FQHC so this is being done to capture more data to coax the government into giving us more grants. I'm thinking about calling up our CMO and asking for an explanation. I'm thinking about putting in my resignation.

I googled it. It’s number 3 in market share. So widely used. I used to be on EPIC (#1) - that was pretty sweet.

I now have to use Meditech, so you get absolutely no sympathy from me. It’s similar to a DOS based product from 15-20 years ago. Sigh

Comment

I actually think Meditech isn't bad at all. Of all the reasons I want to punch out, I surprisingly can think of at least a couple of dozen that come ahead of EMR issues.

Comment

I use ecw. It is very painful, I write some of my notes on home because my work computer laptop with their firewalls installed on them have a significant lag that makes writing notes painful. You can get ecw on your home laptop if you bring it into IT. My only other advice is to avoid the data metrics that involve a lot of clicking. I have been asking my patients if they fall as part of the fall screening for some reason. My office secretaries have been going through and clicking flu vaccine not available for us. I think that if you constantly promise to click on the things for the different metrics but always "forget" to, they will find someone else to do the clicking for you. Especially this stuff that is not pertinent to clinical care. I've just gotten in the habit of asking my patients if they have fallen or not. At least it carries over to the next visit, but then it involves more clicking if they have fallen since the last time they saw you.

Comment

Want to get rid of all the older docs without the age discrimination lawsuits? Just change EMRs.

Comment

Originally posted by legobikes View Post
            I don't know how it's possible to design a system that is the exact opposite of what is efficient and straightforward, but eClinicalWorks has accomplished that by focusing on what bureaucracies want: more data and more metrics.

The software is crap, the design is crap, and there's no way to do anything without dying a little, one click and one dropdown menu at a time. Barely any way to free text. Limited places to use macros. The software is cloud based and every click has noticeable lag. Each function is in 5 different places, and differently arranged and organized in each place. We're an FQHC so this is being done to capture more data to coax the government into giving us more grants. I'm thinking about calling up our CMO and asking for an explanation. I'm thinking about putting in my resignation.
            So, it’s really hard to tell from your post and you seem a little vague, do you like it?

Comment

The point of EMRs is not to help the clinical staff, or aid in clinical work, or patient care.... as you are finding out. They are mostly designed as monitoring devices for administration, where you supply the data entry work.

Even after the CMO/COO/CEO trashes your entire department and workflow, and you quit, you’ll soon be forgotten. If things get real bad they’ll even get a new administrator, new staff to replace everyone who bailed, and everyone will forget you ever existed and that things were once much better.

Do what’s best for you...

Comment

Originally posted by legobikes View Post

I feel ya.

You'll get used to it. Kinda like everything else--not saying it gets better, it just loses the acute suck factor.

I literally will not consider locums at any sites that don't use Epic. Not because I'm an Epic fanboy (quite the opposite), I just don't want to learn another system.

$$ = freedom!

Comment

I dictate a note in dragon into a free form area, put everything that is important in there and let some else do the box clicking, I don’t get paid enough to aggravate the tendonitis in my clicking finger

Comment

I'm sorry. Learning a new EMR sucks. Hang in there . . . Or peace out, if you're in a good spot to do so and it's really what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by nephron View Post
                      I use ecw. It is very painful, I write some of my notes on home because my work computer laptop with their firewalls installed on them have a significant lag that makes writing notes painful. You can get ecw on your home laptop if you bring it into IT. My only other advice is to avoid the data metrics that involve a lot of clicking. I have been asking my patients if they fall as part of the fall screening for some reason. My office secretaries have been going through and clicking flu vaccine not available for us. I think that if you constantly promise to click on the things for the different metrics but always "forget" to, they will find someone else to do the clicking for you. Especially this stuff that is not pertinent to clinical care. I've just gotten in the habit of asking my patients if they have fallen or not. At least it carries over to the next visit, but then it involves more clicking if they have fallen since the last time they saw you.

No way I'm bringing work home, but yeah I agree as they were going through the training I was thinking 'well that's another thing that I'm not going to do'. I was furious about how bad it was and I let them known it. It takes a hundred clicks to do anything, there's no place to free text, the simplest things are a series of dropdown menus, the system requires nurses/MAs to put in their initials and today's date for things as simple as filling out a PHQ, and to check a box that says 'vitals checked' after entering vitals. You can't fill a prescription without filling ALL the text fields, including duration in days. What? My mouse hand / forearm is getting tight just thinking about this mess. All the x buttons are tiny. Tabbing through rarely works as expected. Scrolling requires clicking to gain focus. And I'm worried about the lag, because that really breaks up flow.

You're right about just promising that you'll do it and just never delivering. In fact, that sounds an awful lot like what 'they' do to 'us'.

I seem to remember freaking out the last time they changed EMRs, so I guess I'm prone to it and will hold off on sending in that resignation. But I think I'll have to get real creative with third party mouse/macro software to make it remotely usable. Or I might leave. I know there's a perpetual shortage in the area.

Comment

legobikes
                        Don't worry. The admins responsible will simply explain that it is a change management issue and actually the new system works great. "The vast majority of the users appreciate the improvements. Some people just are resistant to change."

This is how the administrative project manager earns a nice bonus. You might even receive a thank you note for your suggestions. See? Great relations and communication skills with professional staff. Bonus up 10%.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                          legobikes
                          Don't worry. The admins responsible will simply explain that it is a change management issue and actually the new system works great. "The vast majority of the users appreciate the improvements. Some people just are resistant to change."

This is how the administrative project manager earns a nice bonus. You might even receive a thank you note for your suggestions. See? Great relations and communication skills with professional staff. Bonus up 10%.
                          This.

Comment

What about getting a scribe? Sounds like it would be money well spent

Comment

I think when we had a new EHR come out they gave us a $50 gift card for the movie theater chain for the dozen or so hours of training (which dwarfs the lost productivity). We were taxed on the value. This was in Jan 2020; needless to say unless you are a hardcore movie buff those cards did not get used. I wonder who got more money out of that deal, Uncle Sam or the average doc?

Comment

Working...
                              X