Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daughter headed to the semi-wild

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    For up to date info, trip reports, trail conditions, permitting and reservation requirements, general hike descriptions and so on, she should get familiar with the following websites. One is WA only, one is OR only, one is all of PNW. Each has a dedicated community of locals eager to help and support.

    PNW:
    http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=3

    OR:
    https://www.oregonhikers.org/forum/index.php

    WA:
    https://www.wta.org/



    ​​​​​​

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by Lordosis View Post

      Question:
      which bear is best?
      Pooh bear, when he shares his honey.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by Lordosis View Post

        Question:
        which bear is best?
        There are basically two schools of thought

        Comment


        • #49
          What. The answer is clearly koala. Just watch out for the chlamydia. No, that's not what I meant, you have a dirty mind.

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by Lordosis View Post

            Question:
            which bear is best?
            Let’s see who will get the reference first?

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by pulpsnatcher View Post
              25 five year old daughter is finishing grad school and has 2 months before she starts her job. She is traveling solo to the pacific northwest. She plans to go to national and state parks so this will take her in and out of cell service. I am looking for specific safety communication options should she have an emergency and no cell service. I have looked into Garmin devices but wanted to inquire about devices and plans. Thanks
              I have spent many many days hiking and peak bagging alone in the wilderness and plan to spend 5-6 straight weeks this summer hiking a noted trail out west.

              To answer your question about the device directly...Garmin inReach Explorer. Done.

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by Panscan View Post

                There are basically two schools of thought
                False! Black bear.

                Bears, beets, battlestar galactica.

                Comment


                • #53

                  Agree with Jaqen Haghar MD about the recommendation to look at Dixie's YouTube videos on HomemandeWanderlust. She's a young woman who has hiked thousands of miles, often alone and through remote territory.

                  This is her review of the Garmin InReach. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_26ZfBt1rw

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    FWIW.... Kid had an amazing adventure from southern Utah, California, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and Montana. She reports no real negative experiences. The Garmin device kept parents informed and content. She is finding it is much more alarming living in Atlanta, Ga than it ever was on the road. Again I say, eyes wide open.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Glad she did well. I agree that Atlanta GA is more dangerous then the wilderness. People are bad a judging risk. More kids have died from gun violence in Chicago then covid according to the NY post. A kid getting mauled by a bear is more likely to make the news then a kid getting shot these days.
                      https://nypost.com/2021/09/11/more-c...ed-from-covid/

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by pulpsnatcher View Post
                        She is finding it is much more alarming living in Atlanta, Ga than it ever was on the road..
                        I was in Atlanta yesterday and the traffic on I-85 and I-75 is more alarming than any alarming things I have seen in the wild west.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by pulpsnatcher View Post
                          FWIW.... Kid had an amazing adventure from southern Utah, California, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and Montana. She reports no real negative experiences. The Garmin device kept parents informed and content. She is finding it is much more alarming living in Atlanta, Ga than it ever was on the road. Again I say, eyes wide open.
                          She will be "daddy's little girl" until she is 40 or 50! Funny how it works. The torch is passes when she begins calling to check on you. Not just staying in touch, really checking."Dad, did you check on this or that?" Congrats. She made Dad proud. One of many. You can only hope for good fortune.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by nephron View Post
                            Glad she did well. I agree that Atlanta GA is more dangerous then the wilderness. People are bad a judging risk. More kids have died from gun violence in Chicago then covid according to the NY post. A kid getting mauled by a bear is more likely to make the news then a kid getting shot these days.
                            https://nypost.com/2021/09/11/more-c...ed-from-covid/
                            The latest episode of Crazy Money by Paul Ollinger was interesting. He talked with two residents of Atlanta about the city, its culture and crime, and the ongoing proposal from a wealthy suburb to secede from the city. Worth a listen.

                            https://paulollinger.com/buckhead-v-atlanta/

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              My wife did something like that in eastern WA state/western Montana, doing a big birding project before grad school. 2 months of EARLY AM trekking in areas with absolutely no cell phone and only a satellite phone with helicopter out as means of departure. Great experience, puts your day-to-day into perspective.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by Lordosis View Post

                                False! Black bear.

                                Bears, beets, battlestar galactica.
                                Identity theft is not a joke, Lordosis

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X