Daughter headed to the semi-wild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daughter headed to the semi-wild

25 five year old daughter is finishing grad school and has 2 months before she starts her job. She is traveling solo to the pacific northwest. She plans to go to national and state parks so this will take her in and out of cell service. I am looking for specific safety communication options should she have an emergency and no cell service. I have looked into Garmin devices but wanted to inquire about devices and plans. Thanks

A colleague has a daughter doing something similar and they got her a Garmin inReach Mini after doing a lot of research. They've been very happy with it.

Comment

What does your daughter think of your concern?

Reminds me of purchasing a medical alert pendant for elder parent who "forgot" to use the device.

Comment

Originally posted by Bev View Post

Reminds me of purchasing a medical alert pendant for elder parent who "forgot" to use the device.
        Hopefully the daughter shares the same concern if she is going to be hiking alone in remote areas. I would want someone to know my whereabouts in case something happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Bev View Post

She is aware of the world we live in....she is a rather calculated individual. While her first option would not be traveling solo, she is not going to let a 2 month adventure slip away just because the rest of us have to be accountable. I applaud her spirit, but as a parent I desire her eyes to be wide open. She plans to take pepper/bear spray.... any other ideas for communication or other ? Thanks for the help.

Comment

In the PNW, besides evil humans, the only other creatures I'd be concerned about are black bears and mountain lions. As far as I know, grizzly bears are concentrated in Montana, but of course grizzly bears don't recognize borders and may sparsely populate the PNW as well. I spend a lot of time in the forest, and have encountered plenty of black bears. It's a little bit heart stopping when you do, but none of the bears have ever wanted anything to do with me. As soon as they realize I am a human, they leave ASAP. And tell her don't purchase bear bells. Those are a tourist trap purchase, and they are worthless.

With mountain lions, being alone is a concern. They are very rare to ever be seen but you still have to maintain your due diligence because they are opportunist, and have been known to stalk solo hikers. I believe the Garmin InReach is a good plan

Comment

Also curious about mountain lion pertekshun - occasional sightings in our area and a couple rednecks told me they don't go into deep forest without a gun. Wondering about firearms, though I still go up in them hills and take naps.

Comment

Originally posted by pulpsnatcher View Post

She is aware of the world we live in....she is a rather calculated individual. While her first option would not be traveling solo, she is not going to let a 2 month adventure slip away just because the rest of us have to be accountable. I applaud her spirit, but as a parent I desire her eyes to be wide open. She plans to take pepper/bear spray.... any other ideas for communication or other ? Thanks for the help.
                If she's had her vaccines, then maybe Microsoft will be able to track her.

Otherwise bear spray and good situational awareness is probably the easiest thing to bring. Also have her check in whenever she gets reception about planned hikes/areas.

Comment

Girl hiking solo on the west coast. Reminds me of the Reese Witherspoon movie Wild.

Comment

Originally posted by pulpsnatcher View Post
                    25 five year old daughter is finishing grad school and has 2 months before she starts her job. She is traveling solo to the pacific northwest. She plans to go to national and state parks so this will take her in and out of cell service. I am looking for specific safety communication options should she have an emergency and no cell service. I have looked into Garmin devices but wanted to inquire about devices and plans. Thanks
                    OK, I don't mean to be judgmental here but a woman hiking alone for two months strikes me as higher risk than I would be comfortable with for my own daughter. Communications help with the broken leg scenario, but not the mountain lion (or evil human) attack scenario. Better by far to add a person to the trip. If no friends or family interested or available, I seriously suggest hiring a professional guide to go with her.

Comment

Solo hiking in cat country is generally a bad idea. But we've all done it.

Black bears are nothing, they will turn and run.

Cats will stalk you. Finding evidence of fresh cat scat on the trail is much more intimidating than finding fresh bear scat. Teach her not to run/jog and definitely bring bear spray.

There are grizzlies in the N Cascades (a confirmed sighting not far from Cascade Pass a few years ago) and the Selkirks, but very few. I've solo hiked in these areas and the Pasayten with minimal concern, but I do bring bear spray.

Sorry no advice on communication. I don't bring a phone into the wilderness.
                      Last edited by FIREshrink; 04-22-2021, 11:12 AM.

Comment

1. Make sure she has a plan and itinerary, and make sure its shared with at least you. I suspect there are ways to share extended itineraries with local parks/rangers/etc. If she needs permits those will be on record too.

2. I know climbers who use stuff like this when bouldering alone: https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topic...locator-beacon Outdoor gear lab has fantastic, in depth reviews. I wouldn't hesitate to buy anything they suggest.

Comment

A Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in 454 Casull would also be helpful. Tell her not to miss, though.

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post
                            A Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in 454 Casull would also be helpful. Tell her not to miss, though.
                            Tell me more. are these the lightest weight guns that would suffice?

It seems to me that even a cat on the hunt is going to be startled enough to back of with a loud bang - and striking the target is only a questionable bonus. Do you need big slugs or can you get by with a tiny pistol?

Comment

Originally posted by legobikes View Post

Tell me more. are these the lightest weight guns that would suffice?

It seems to me that even a cat on the hunt is going to be startled enough to back of with a loud bang - and striking the target is only a questionable bonus. Do you need big slugs or can you get by with a tiny pistol?

As far as grizzlies are concerned, look up the story about the two hunters who were mauled by a grizzly in Montana. Two grown men with high powered rifles, and they still got attacked. Most people have no idea how quickly those huge animals can move. Just like black bears, most grizzlies don't want anything to do with humans, but you better not surprise one with their babies or a fresh kill.

Mountain lions are just sneaky (and fast). You never really hear of hunters being attacked by mountain lions so I believe they would not like a loud bang.

Comment

Working...
                              X