Landline / VOIP phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landline / VOIP phone

Well, everyone has their cell phone plans but how many of us still have a home based phone.

For years I had Ma Bell POTS service and the basic costs kept rising to $45/month when I said enough is enough and switched to Vonage. It started out great and had a great international plan and slowly it zoomed from $20 to >$50, when I used the reason of moving houses as an excuse to cut it out.

For the past 1.5 years I have had basic phone line included with my high speed internet and the TV with my triple play Charter. Promotional price for 2 years. I suspect it will rise substantially this October and I want a plan of action on how to not let that happen.

I don't think I have watched any cable TV from spectrum in the past 1.5 years. I have free antenna TV, with an antenna positioned in the attic that receives all local channels. I have Netflix and some Indian IPTV. That is all I need. I don't think there is a good Internet / phone package and so I much go with high speed internet alone and pay a penalty but there is no point adding extras you don't use.

That leads me to the point- what do I do about a home phone. I think my wife would like some home phone for making calls other than with cell phone or for alarm company or when you don't want to give out your cellphone info to all. Which ones have the others on this forum used

Ooma, Voip1, Vonage etc.
    ATT
    Cable company phone
    Bare, with no home phone at all

Any pros and cons of any of them. I am leaning towards bare bones ooma from costco.

I think my grandma had a land line before she passed away 20 years ago.

Comment

I don't know why we keep our cable land line. I can't remember the last time I used it other than to field telemarketers. Though I've discovered a new hobby with telemarketers. I answer all telemarketers these days. I don't say anything, I take the phone to my piano, and then I play for them. Haven't made it through a whole song yet before the bigeminal deadline tone.

Comment

In 2009 it was cheaper for me to have a landline in addition to the internet and cable. But all I got was telemarketer calls. I never used it and just unplugged the phones. I have not had one since.

Before that I never had a landline in my apartments or in college.

Comment

I keep mine for emergencies and for call quality. It still worked when the cell tower and the internet went down which was nice but I agree it's expensive insurance.

Comment

I’ve had Ooma for years, costs <$6/mo (price depends on state), Ported old phone number to it as it’s been the same # for 25+ years. Backwired it into a phone jack so I can have a base station answering machine connected to another jack in the house which is more conveniently located (vs next to router) then have multiple handsets throughout the house.
            I have been very happy with it, clear sound, caller ID, long distance free.

Comment

We use Alexa as the "landline". My kids can call us or we can call them if we are out on a walk andneed something. My 4 yo has figured out how to use it to call my mom and my husband's father. They don't seem to mind his daily 7am phone calls ;-) But outside of that I see no reason for a landline.

Comment

Haven't had a landline in years.

Get a prepaid phone & leave it in the center of the house. If you want to fancy it up:

https://www.google.com/search?q=bluetooth+to+landline

Not sure how those would work with an alarm system. Check if they have an over the internet backup..
                $1 saved = >$1 earned. ✓

Comment

Originally posted by DocNextDoor View Post
                  I’ve had Ooma for years, costs <$6/mo (price depends on state), Ported old phone number to it as it’s been the same # for 25+ years. Backwired it into a phone jack so I can have a base station answering machine connected to another jack in the house which is more conveniently located (vs next to router) then have multiple handsets throughout the house.
                  I have been very happy with it, clear sound, caller ID, long distance free.
                  Yes, love OOMA. Six dollars a month. This is for local 911 fee. Live In older house with Jacks in all rooms. Very handy to have extra phone for minimum cost. Crystal clear sound and much better than cell phone for the hearing impaired, like myself.

Comment

No land line for many years. I just use my cellphone. When multiple tornados hit here in 2011 my verizon phone worked fine but ATT was out.

Comment

Just cell phones. Had our home phone number ported to DWs cell many years ago.

Oh how I miss yelling out, 'I'm not getting it, it's not for me!' when the house landline rings.

Comment

We did a google voice number and a doodad called obitalk that connects to the router and spits out a phone line jack. Cheap 911 add-on so you could call from any phone in house and it would know address. Given voip, if internet was out, so was it.

Comment

We ditched our landline several years ago and never missed it. Before that, we kept a landline for my in-laws to call and for the phone number to give whenever one was requested, but we never answered it (especially not for the in-laws).

Comment

Fun thread. I have a landline because cell quality at the house is poor and the WiFI calling drops often. I also have it so that my kid can call folks without using my cell (just too much on there for prying eyes).

Yeah, the cost adds up, but I save enough money by cutting my own hair that I can afford it.
                            Last edited by G; 05-05-2021, 08:38 PM.

Comment

We haven’t had a landline for years and have never used VOIP. To take advantage of the phone jacks throughout the house, we ported our original landline number to an additional line on our cellphone plan for $10/month. We have a PhoneLabs Dock-N-Talk device which Bluetooths the cell phone into the home jacks so we can use any connected phone on this cell phone line. Fairly convenient as we can answer this line anywhere in the house and a good number to use when we don’t want to give out our personal cell phone numbers.

Comment

Working...
                              X