No announcement yet.

M-F schedule vs Shift Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you like the clinic work, there is definately an advantage there in less stress and predictable schedule. 12 patients a day does not sound bad at all, i usually see 12-15 a day with 4-5 new patients that take at least 45 mins due to spirometry, cxr, 6 minute walk, etc and do not feel rushed.

Comment

My concern is that you felt burnout at 35 yo and looking to different gigs yet want flexibility and higher income and FIRE 55.  That’s a lot to squeeze in 20 yrs and burnout symptoms at this juncture.

Being from outpatient internal medicine I have a skewed opinion toward longevity over higher income intensity as a burnout risk.  Whatever position it is, you really should like your job — either current, or 9-5 or the new hospital gig.
      Click to expand…

You’re absolutely right in that I have to make sure I’m enjoying whatever it is that I’m doing.  I feel ready to work fairly hard over the next 5 years to really boost my savings while I’m still relatively young.  I’d like to be able to gradually pull back after that though.

So this is coming to you from a woman’s perspective ? I LOVE having a regular schedule at this time in my life. It allows for the greatest amount of family time, in my experience (and based on what you have described). If I didn’t have kids, if I was single, if my spouse had a flexible schedule, then sure-I’d consider shift work. But I like to spend my free time with my kids and my husband. I’m just part time right now and I have 3 days a week where I’m just at home with the baby. I am thankful to be able to do this but at the same time, it’s definitely not as good as when we’re all home together on the weekends. But maybe I just really like my husband more than is normal? I’m not sure. But I would not be happy if either of us was working weird hours and we didn’t get to spend our free time together. But as you can see from the different responses, this very much seems to be driven by personality and current life situation and life goals. Ultimately you know yourself best and can hopefully use that as a guide to what might be best for you. Good luck figuring it out!
      Click to expand…

I really appreciate your perspective.  I think you bring up a good point.  My current life situation is well suited to the shift work/random scheduling simply because I don’t have kids and my wife and I can be fairly flexible at this point.  That could change in the next year or so.  We are trying for a family.  I definitely see the merits of a M-F schedule for family time.  The hospitalist position I’m looking at wouldn’t be too bad in terms of weird hours.  The latest I’d be expected to work would be 7pm, but would definitely include weekends.

Well that's exciting! Lots of potential changes in your life in the next little while. It sounds like maybe doing both for now would give you a chance to see how you liked the positions. And then if/when you have kids, you would have a lot more information to decide what would work best for you in that stage of your life.

Comment

Just to throw out an entirely different idea - In January I signed on for all weekends.  My husband is a stay-at-home-dad, my kids are too young for school yet and we get to have a set schedule.  I'm off Mon-Wed for sure, work an occasional Thursday in the ED or in my Medical Director role. In Emergency Medicine I was already working every other weekend so this really wasn't a big change - and I get 8 weekends off per year to use for travel/holidays.  So far it has been working out really well, plus I was able to negotiate an hourly increase ($50/hour additional for every weekend hour worked) which has amounted to a substantial increase in my income.

If you don't like the opioid treatment center think about some "creative" scheduling as an option.  You likely won't be able to request M-F 8-5 as a hospitalist, but if you made a change to days or hours a lot of places are looking to fill those and may be able to work with you to set a schedule. d

Comment

I personally enjoy having lots of weekdays off.  There are less people at the gym, or the bank, or at Costco.  I do work some weekends and miss some sporting events and tournaments, but I feel I get to enough of them on my weekends off.  Even with kids in school, we do not have trouble taking a week off with the family 3-4 times a year.  I have also been able to get some backpacking/hiking trips in every year.  I have never had a "normal" work week, and I think it would wear me out working 5 days a week, every week.

Comment

Just to throw out an entirely different idea – In January I signed on for all weekends.  My husband is a stay-at-home-dad, my kids are too young for school yet and we get to have a set schedule.  I’m off Mon-Wed for sure, work an occasional Thursday in the ED or in my Medical Director role. In Emergency Medicine I was already working every other weekend so this really wasn’t a big change – and I get 8 weekends off per year to use for travel/holidays.  So far it has been working out really well, plus I was able to negotiate an hourly increase ($50/hour additional for every weekend hour worked) which has amounted to a substantial increase in my income.

If you don’t like the opioid treatment center think about some “creative” scheduling as an option.  You likely won’t be able to request M-F 8-5 as a hospitalist, but if you made a change to days or hours a lot of places are looking to fill those and may be able to work with you to set a schedule. d

That's a very interesting idea. Smart

Comment

I find M-F schedules annoying because you are off when everyone else is off, which sometimes causes bottleneck issues elsewhere.  I used to work a more consistent M-F schedule, but then I was basically fighting with everyone else that also have a regular schedule for things that happen outside of work, ie appointments, grocery shopping, going to the gym, TRAFFIC.

I now have a shift like schedule where no two weeks are the same.  I also only work 0.5-0.85, depending on the month’s needs.  Personally, I love it.  I don’t have to fight with everyone else when I need to get errands done or when I am trying to live my life.  I can schedule things during “off hours” and not feel rushed.  I can get a table at a nice restaurant during the week for lunch or dinner with a friend and not have to wait in line, make reservation a month ahead of time or feel like the wait staff is rushing us out once we are done eating.
              Click to expand…

That’s certainly something I’ve thought about too. Especially as it relates to travel. If you want to do a weekend get away, it would often end up needing to happen on a holiday weekend in which travel can be nuts and very stressful.  In years past we’ve been able to schedule trips right after a major holiday to avoid all the craziness.  I’ll never forget the first time we went to Yosemite the week after labor day and we saw the huge line of cars leaving the park and causing traffic jams for miles as they headed back towards SF.  We just happily drove right by them in the opposite direction.

But, if we end up with a kid or two the traveling will slow down for at least a couple years I’m sure so that won’t be as big of a deal initially.

The traveling part is certainly true. Before kids start school, you will have so much more traveling flexibility if only one partner has a fixed schedule. We were pretty active travelers when my kid was between 0-5 years old and we were able to really take advantage of the off season traveling, save money and get more for our dollar because we only had to travel around one person's schedule.

I also agree with the other perspective above that its dependent on your family's current life situation.  You have to make it work for all of you.  My partner has a very rigid work schedule, basically gone M-F from 730am-630pm daily and sometimes have OT or afterwork social hours to attend to.  If both of us worked M-F "regular" hours, our kid wouldn't see that much of either parent from M-F.  She would either be in daycare (until formal schooling) or school + after school care for at least 8-10 hours daily.  And considering kids need about 10-11hours of sleep, that's a lot of awake child rearing time that is not being done by us.

Comment

As a hospitalist for 9 years I prefer the shift work. My husband has a flexible schedule and we have 3 kids and it has been working for us. Even with the kids being available during some days (field trips, parties, award ceremonies) is beneficial. Plus the me time is priceless. My program is straight 7on/off. If you truly like hospitalist work better and you don't have kids consider looking at other options that suit your schedule preference...even if it means moving ( if your not tied to the area).

Comment

I suggest T-F. To ************************ with Mondays.

Comment

Working...
                  X