Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peleton Treadmill in a Locked Room Inaccessible to Children and Pets ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zaphod View Post

This seems incredibly dumb and why on earth?

I dont see how a peloton treadmill is any different from a physics standpoint than others, though I could see the treads providing slightly better traction at the turn, but otherwise they'll all suffer from this, have to safe.
    From watching that video, it seems like the deck is light enough that a kid can easily lift it up and get under. And if it gets turned on at that point, it's not going to end well. I've got a NordicTrack commercial treadmill, and it would be much harder for a kid to lift the deck up and get under it.

Comment

I've had a treadmill since I was pregnant (Kids now 16, 16 and 13). We had a child safety gate around ours at all times but I was running one time and a kid flipped over it, got a pretty good (but fairly small) rub-type burn on back even though I immediately pulled the emergency cord. We never left the emergency cord available to them (always took it off so it was disabled) and lots of chats about the safety of it. They all watched the one get the burn from it, it worked well to keep them away. I agree... this was a parenting issue although I am surprised at how easily it lifted up.

Comment

Originally posted by PHANTASOS View Post
        Better ideas about where to locate the Peleton:

https://twitter.com/clueheywood/stat...217920?lang=en
        That's like literally my all time favorite Twitter thread.

I read something about this particular treadmill having less safety features than other treadmills. But the other issue is that knives, guns,etc are obviously dangerous and most parents are smart enough to keep out of reach of children and teach them they are dangerous. We are considering buying a treadmill and it honestly never crossed my mind it could be dangerous in this way until I started reading about this particular one. So I guess I am just glad to have this brought to attention as I doubt I'm the only person that didn't know a kid could die on these things.

Comment

Originally posted by ENT Doc View Post
          Is the commission going to issue a warning over knives? Bleach?
          This is just another example of personal responsibility eroding away. Let the government fix my problems.

Comment

Originally posted by WorkingToFish View Post

This is just another example of personal responsibility eroding away. Let the government fix my problems.
            Opens the door to government picking winners and losers.

Peloton (PTON) – Peloton is calling a new advisory from the Consumer Product Safety Commission “inaccurate and misleading,” saying its treadmills are safe when safety recommendations are followed. The CPSC said that consumers with young children or pets should stop using the treadmills after its investigation of the death of a child turned up dozens of instances of injuries. The stock tumbled 6.7% in premarket trading.

Comment

The video is disturbing, but more so in the way that it appears the playroom includes the treadmill, and no parents are nearby. We have a treadmill at home, and if they children even enter the room when we are using it, they are sternly reminded to stay back. That being said, we typically use when they are sleeping or another parent is home.

We had a family friend whose child had a horrible degloving injury with a treadmill (non-Peloton). My husband knew about this before we had kids and is a fanatic about keeping the kids away. Treadmills can be dangerous, and I don't think this is just limited to the Peloton tread.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post

Opens the door to government picking winners and losers.
                This could not be understated enough and is already becoming a very real phenomenon.

Comment

Originally posted by AR View Post

From watching that video, it seems like the deck is light enough that a kid can easily lift it up and get under. And if it gets turned on at that point, it's not going to end well. I've got a NordicTrack commercial treadmill, and it would be much harder for a kid to lift the deck up and get under it.
                  Its not light, its simply a function of how powerful the motor is.

Comment

This isn't a Peloton issue. It just so happened on a Peloton branded treadmill. I have a Woodway treadmill which has a far bigger motor and probably weighs a good couple hundred pounds more than a Peloton. Also the deck is higher so even easier for a child to slip underneath it. Does this mean we should ban Woodways as well? It's unfortunate, but I can't blame Peloton. It was a byproduct of poor supervision, poor timing, and bad luck. You can't recall a treadmill due to that. When I was a kid I got a hold of a hedge trimmer and wanted to see if I could pull my finger out of it faster than it could turn on. Turns out I was slower than the trimmer, but thankfully only a laceration and not a stub of a finger. That doesn't mean hedge trimmers should be banned. It was my fault and I guess somewhat my parents because of lack of supervision. There were numerous safety features ignored on the treadmill - access to it, power cord, on/off switch, safety kill switch, likely an additional toggle switch underneath it if similar to a Woodway. None of those were utilized.

Comment

Originally posted by shady View Post
                      This isn't a Peloton issue. It just so happened on a Peloton branded treadmill. I have a Woodway treadmill which has a far bigger motor and probably weighs a good couple hundred pounds more than a Peloton. Also the deck is higher so even easier for a child to slip underneath it. Does this mean we should ban Woodways as well? It's unfortunate, but I can't blame Peloton. It was a byproduct of poor supervision, poor timing, and bad luck. You can't recall a treadmill due to that. When I was a kid I got a hold of a hedge trimmer and wanted to see if I could pull my finger out of it faster than it could turn on. Turns out I was slower than the trimmer, but thankfully only a laceration and not a stub of a finger. That doesn't mean hedge trimmers should be banned. It was my fault and I guess somewhat my parents because of lack of supervision. There were numerous safety features ignored on the treadmill - access to it, power cord, on/off switch, safety kill switch, likely an additional toggle switch underneath it if similar to a Woodway. None of those were utilized.
                      How old were you? If you were 6 shame on your parents, 16 shame on you...

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post

Remember that life long learning is a very good habit.
                        Book smarts or Street smarts. Not always together.

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post

I was only 5 or 6. Regardless of age I should have known better, but my inquisitive mind wasn't very intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by shady View Post

I was only 5 or 6. Regardless of age I should have known better, but my inquisitive mind wasn't very intelligent.
                            Having a 6 year old of my own I am amazed at how intelligent and stupid they can be.

Comment

https://www.cpsc.gov/Newsroom/News-R...Risk-of-Injury

Peleton is recalling treadmills. Maybe it was not just the parenting.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                                https://www.cpsc.gov/Newsroom/News-R...Risk-of-Injury

Peleton is recalling treadmills. Maybe it was not just the parenting.
                                The comapny can't blame the consumer. Non starter.

Would you all buy options in PTON to rise by the end of Sept though?? This is my real question!!

Comment

Working...
                                X