Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peleton Treadmill in a Locked Room Inaccessible to Children and Pets ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peleton Treadmill in a Locked Room Inaccessible to Children and Pets ?

"The agency, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, issued an “urgent warning” after reports of 38 injuries and one death linked to the machine, which was previously known as the Tread. The agency said those with small children at home should stop using the machine, warning that the Tread+ posed risks to children, including abrasions, fractures and even death."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/17/b...ild-death.html

It has a video that is a little eyeopening. On the opposite side, why was the safety key available to children?
    I agree with child proofing a house. However, I can think of a lot of things that are not toys as well. Do any kids ever play with a fob or car keys? Fine line between product safety and warnings vs issuing guidance to stop driving if you have small children. I say this only to question how far government should regulate or recommend personal homes.

Is the commission going to issue a warning over knives? Bleach?

Comment

Not sure that the Peloton Tread is any different or more dangerous than any other commercially available treadmill. Bicycles should be recalled, too. But guns in homes, no problem, they are perfectly safe. 😉

Comment

There is no such thing as child proofing. You can only slow them down. And for never as long as you think.

Quick example:. Our basement is finished but obviously has the unfinished section with the furnace and whatnot. There is a door and I put on a handle that uses one of those interior push button locks. I put the little prong key thing above the door on the molding. They must have noticed me getting the key one time. Then when I was occupied piled up some stuff to climb up on and used a toy lightsaber to knock it down. They went in and ate a bunch of extra Xmas cookies from the freezer before I caught them.

Now the key is up in the drop ceiling.

Comment

Mike Tyson’s daughter died in a treadmill accident.

Comment

It seems that treadmills could use a good car safety engineer. With today's tech to protect people inside and outside the vehicle it seems like a lot of low hanging fruit.

Comment

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission seems to be way more willing to take on industry than the medical devices side of the FDA. I can't believe this thing got approved:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/27/us/fd...ice/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by Dusn View Post
                The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission seems to be way more willing to take on industry than the medical devices side of the FDA. I can't believe this thing got approved:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/27/us/fd...ice/index.html
                Wow. I'd have bet that was an article from the Onion if I didn't know the source.

Comment

Peleton is charging $2500 for this treadmill. It has bluetooth built-in. How difficult would it be to allow the treadmill to turn on/off via bluetooth to a smartphone?

An owner can also buy smart wifi plugs that will automatically turn off a plugged in device after a set amount of time.

Comment

Better ideas about where to locate the Peleton:

https://twitter.com/clueheywood/stat...217920?lang=en

Comment

Originally posted by AR View Post

Wow. I'd have bet that was an article from the Onion if I didn't know the source.
                      Right!? I guess they're trying to compress vascular return but not the carotids? I'll have to read about that later

Comment

the video in that times article is disturbing. I can see why they want this product recalled.

Comment

Originally posted by braindoc View Post
                          the video in that times article is disturbing. I can see why they want this product recalled.
                          I just watched it with my wife, who was a child safety fanatic when the kids were little. We both agreed that, if anything, the parents should be “recalled”.

Comment

Originally posted by VagabondMD View Post

I just watched it with my wife, who was a child safety fanatic when the kids were little. We both agreed that, if anything, the parents should be “recalled”.
                            Absolutely bad parenting. It just looks way too easy to get sucked underneath that slat tread IMO. Wonder if belt treads have similar issues?

Comment

Originally posted by childay View Post

Right!? I guess they're trying to compress vascular return but not the carotids? I'll have to read about that later
                              This seems incredibly dumb and why on earth?

I dont see how a peloton treadmill is any different from a physics standpoint than others, though I could see the treads providing slightly better traction at the turn, but otherwise they'll all suffer from this, have to safe.

Comment

Working...
                              X