Electric toothbrushes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric toothbrushes

Since there are a few dentists on this forum and I could not find a past topic on it, I thought I would ask.

I have an old Oral-B electric toothbrush and the handle is probably a decade old. I think I had a 2-pack and one died completely. This one holds the charge for just two brushing ( barely) and hence I charge it after every use. Seems to do the job. We use manual toothbrushes for travel.

Costco has now two Phillips Sonicare on sale. A two pack Diamond Clean for $180 and a two pack Optimal clean for $70. I have read the reviews but am more confused after reading it. My questions are

1. Are the Diamond Clean brushes really that much better. It seems to have a ton of extra clean options but do they really matter. Th extra $110 is not a deal breaker but why pay for something that is just bells and whistles. Will the Optimal Clean do the job as well.

2. Is Phillips Sonicare better than Oral B or are they like the Honda and Toyota of this world with no substantial difference between them. If so, I can use the current handle till it dies and cannot do even one brushing and then buy another set on the next sale.

3. Is there any substantial difference in the way one brush head cleans versus the other, between brands and within the same brand. I change mine every 3 months or so.

Thanks

Not a dentist, but my partner and I bought the Phillips Sonicare DiamondClean Smart 9700 last year and we have been very satisfied with the purchase. Funny story. They actually sent us three brushes in white and three brushes in blue. Tried to contact support, they couldn't seem to understand that I didn't order six brushes (only two) and that I wanted to send the extras back. Customer service didn't respond to my last message so I just sold the extra four on Ebay for like $1000 lol.

From my limited research, it seems that you're spot on with the Sonicare vs. Oral B debate. Different dentists seem to have different preferences but you probably can't go wrong with either.

Anecdotally, since switching from a manual to the Diamond Clean, my dental hygienist has commented at both appointments on how much better my teeth and gums look without me ever mentioning that I switched brushes. Much less scraping with the metal probe, too.

I can't comment on whether the Diamond Clean is better than lower-end models, but if you found a good deal and plan to keep the handle for a very long time, I figured it was worth the purchase. Now I just have to switch out heads every month or two until the handle eventually dies. The brush came with a few different heads which all have different functions. Whitening, Gum Health, Deep Clean, etc., etc. The handle does vibrate differently depending on which head is attached and at what point in the cycle you're at. If you link the brush to an app on your phone, it tells you a different pattern and time to brush depending on which head is attached. Not sure if there's literature justifying these different settings or if it's more hoopla.

Comment

I noticed my dentist switched brands on display. I wonder if there might be any sales reps calling on my dentist? Who would think that would be possible?

Comment

toothbrushes are what you make of them. I use a more 'basic' oral B brand since that is what our office sells. I have some patients that are fantastic with a regular arm powered toothbrush. so to answer your question- if you like the advanced functions then buy the higher end one. yes there are differences between brush heads depending on stiffness of bristles, shape/ size of the head, etc.
        There are definitely sales reps that come to offices for tooth brushes.

Comment

We just got the Oral Bs from Costco because they were on sale a month or two ago. I don’t know anything about toothbrushes but I’m upset they don’t play old Justin Bieber songs for 2 minutes while I brush.

Comment

1. No, more expensive does not necessarily mean better. The extra modes are superfluous junk. Technique is more important than anything.

2. No difference. Pick what you like.

3. Nope. Keep changing every 3 months, you're doing fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
              I noticed my dentist switched brands on display. I wonder if there might be any sales reps calling on my dentist? Who would think that would be possible?
              I can't tell you how many times we've switched between being a Crest and Colgate office. Whoever's giving us the best deal that year gets our business.

For what it's worth, we sell both the Oral B and Sonicare brushes. Patients ask about them and I tell them to get them cheaper at Amazon or Costco. I'm a terrible salesman.

But I do highly recommend an electronic brush. Plaque indices are much improved compared to manual. Which one specifically is pretty inconsequential as long as it's used correctly.

Comment

Not much of a difference between the top end models and the others. The diamond clean or similar will just have more settings that you will not use. Also, in my opinion, Sonicare vs Oral-B is personal preference. Also, if you like the diamond clean brush heads, you can put them on the other brush.

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post
                  We just got the Oral Bs from Costco because they were on sale a month or two ago. I don’t know anything about toothbrushes but I’m upset they don’t play old Justin Bieber songs for 2 minutes while I brush.
                  That is a great idea! My kids might be leaning more towards Shawn Mendes, but same idea

Comment

Interesting. Thoughts about waterpik water flossing? Also on sale at costco...

Comment

Originally posted by dreammd View Post
                      Interesting. Thoughts about waterpik water flossing? Also on sale at costco...
                      Waterpiks are great! The patients in our practice that use them, typically, have very healthy gum tissue. Game changers around implants, bridges, braces, tipped teeth, etc

Comment

I couldn't use the waterpik, just too messy and disgusting. But I guess I should put an electronic brush on the shopping list...

Comment

My ginigival pockets were always 4mm plus for 17 years. Always brushed and flossed. The visit after I started intermittent fasting, the pockets went to sub 2mm and has remained the same ever since for 3 years. Sorry for beating a dead horse. Could be placebo.

Comment

Originally posted by burritos View Post
                            My ginigival pockets were always 4mm plus for 17 years. Always brushed and flossed. The visit after I started intermittent fasting, the pockets went to sub 2mm and has remained the same ever since for 3 years. Sorry for beating a dead horse. Could be placebo.
                            Beat that dead horse all you want! Perio disease is definitely related to overall health/inflammation/stress.

Comment

Originally posted by burritos View Post
                              Talking about your gingival pockets could be a niche pickup line.

Comment

Working...
                              X