No announcement yet.

Any (Olympic Freestyle) Wrestling Fans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any (Olympic Freestyle) Wrestling Fans?

I know POF wrestled in high school. He's probably a Gable Steveson fan. Anyone else?

I've got friends for football talk, but no one who would appreciate what happened in the Dake/Nolf match at the US Olympic trials. Nolf was a 3-time NCAA national champion, an awesome wrestler. I got ready to watch a battle, and then this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP3315Tqmf8

When you can tech a 3-time NCAA champ in 90 seconds, you are a bad man. Dake then finally dethroned Jordan Burroughs. He's reached a new level.
    Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried (many) bags for a lovely and gracious 59 yo Cyd Charisse. (RIP) Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

Wrestling for me is like hockey. Wrestled but never played hockey. I don’t go out of my way to watch it but when I start it’s hard to stop and I wonder why I don’t watch it more often. I’d be more inclined to have my kids wrestle if it weren’t for all the auricular hematomas I address and the nasty culture of cutting weight.

Comment

Originally posted by ENT Doc View Post
      Wrestling for me is like hockey. Wrestled but never played hockey. I don’t go out of my way to watch it but when I start it’s hard to stop and I wonder why I don’t watch it more often. I’d be more inclined to have my kids wrestle if it weren’t for all the auricular hematomas I address and the nasty culture of cutting weight.
      Cutting weight is the worst. I remember lunch breaks in a plastic suit sitting on a metal chair in the locker room shower with all the nozzles on max heat to create a steam room. Good times.

I try to catch the Big 10 tourney if I can, and the NCAAs, and this year, the Olympic trials. Plus, YouTube offers wrestling matches a la carte. I go down the occasional rabbit hole.
      Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried (many) bags for a lovely and gracious 59 yo Cyd Charisse. (RIP) Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

Comment

I watched part of the trials. I saw his two matches with Burroughs but I missed this one so thanks for sharing. Dake is a BAD man.

Here is a bracket from 16U Nationals 15 years ago. There is another BAD man in first in Kyle's weight group.

Cadet - 98 Results
        1st Place - David Taylor of Ohio
        2nd Place - Mark Rappo of Pennsylvania
        3rd Place - Kyle Dake of New York
        4th Place - Laddie Rupp of Oklahoma
        5th Place - Schuyler Swanton of Florida
        6th Place - Alan Waters of Missouri
        7th Place - BJ Futrell of Illinois
        8th Place - Josh Kriemier of Colorado
        1st Place Match
        David Taylor (Ohio) over Mark Rappo (Pennsylvania) Dec 3-0,4-0
        3rd Place Match
        Kyle Dake (New York) over Laddie Rupp (Oklahoma) Dec 1-1,1-5,3-1
        5th Place Match
        Schuyler Swanton (Florida) over Alan Waters (Missouri) Dec 2-0,2-3,5-3
        7th Place Match
        BJ Futrell (Illinois) over Josh Kriemier (Colorado) Dec 3-0,9-2

Comment

Taylor is amazing, but Dake went up a class his collegiate senior year (just to get Taylor, I think) and beat Taylor -- and Dake is a smaller guy. I was actually rooting for Taylor, but I have to give credit to Dake.

Comment

No doubt that Dake took on a big task when moving into David Taylor's weight class in college. All those guys are fun to follow. I used to travel a lot as a coach and official so I saw a lot of these guys on the mat when they were growing up in age group wrestling. David Taylor's dad was a Delta pilot so they used their free travel benefits to go to tournaments all over the country almost every weekend. The effort paid off and he, along with Dake, are now world champions. Hope they have the same success in this summer's Olympics.

Comment

I think Dake, Taylor, and Steveson will all win gold. Dake will have the biggest challenge (Sidakov)

Here is Sidakov versus Burroughs, 2018:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC9P-JUB1kw

Comment

Originally posted by Mid-60s View Post
                No doubt that Dake took on a big task when moving into David Taylor's weight class in college.
                Chasing Shute, if Shute was a Hodge trophy winner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BiC3OUNFqE

(Video from Vision Quest, underrated movie)

Comment

Saw Dan Gable lose his only match to Larry Owens at NCAA finals.
                  I admired Gable for mental toughness, it was unbelievable. Lost by 2.
                  https://youtu.be/t0_r3UI1OL4

Carl Sanderson is simply a beast. Went to Penn State and immediately turned them into a powerhouse. Greatest folkstyle/freestyle wrestler in my book.
                  https://intermatwrestle.com/articles/23469

My high school coach was an NCAA champ at Oklahoma and a teammate of Danny Hodge.
                  The team stopped to eat at a diner and a couple of truckers decided to razz and pick trouble. Outside a guy had a pair of pliers in his hand and popped Hodge upside the head. Coach barked “No!”. Hodge picked up the pliers, flattened the grip and handed them back.
                  https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.jiu...bare-hand/amp/
                  True story was confirmed by my college coach who was on the team.
                  My glory days ended with 2 state titles. Didn’t do squat in college. My kid was better but less titles. Competition improved.
                  My brother made a career of coaching hs wrestling and is in the state HOF.

Cutting weight was a way of life. Plastic on top of sweatsuits, last 3-5 lbs is water weight. That last 1/4 lb is holy ...hello. Was standard, crazy but everyone was bigger and stronger than the weigh-in weight.

Tidbit: Bogle was the big benefactor (his largest charity) of Blair Academy. National high school powerhouse that recruits nationally.

Comment

Originally posted by CM View Post

Chasing Shute, if Shute was a Hodge trophy winner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BiC3OUNFqE

(Video from Vision Quest, underrated movie)
                    Oh wow. That takes me back. Need to watch that as soon as possible.

Comment

Two state titles is an impressive feat.

Kids start wrestling as toddlers now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYXCinDD3BM

Comment

Originally posted by ENT Doc View Post

Oh wow. That takes me back. Need to watch that as soon as possible.
                        :-) Options below:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ull+movie+free

Comment

The pyramid narrows soooo fast. Club wrestling and performance training has overtaken the high school sport. No surprise. The difference from AAU basketball or travel teams for baseball is that there is no payoff.

Three or 4 time state champs hardly ever get a full ride and the workload is so intense a serious academic major is a reach. A lot of places you get a full ride IF you are an all American.

Troy Nickerson is an example. Wonderful kid that was smart and worked his tail off.
                          Hard to call him world class. Very very few are and there is no safety net.
                          https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Nickerson

Eligibility over? See you later. Non-revenue sport and low paying career. You got to love it.

Comment

I don't watch much wrestling but I thought that the eastern European / Turkish are the top people in world wrestling stage.

Comment

The Russians and Iranians are typically very good, and I have the impression that there are many good wrestlers from nations previously within the USSR.

Comment

Working...
                              X