Class reunions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Class reunions

Anyone recently go to their high school class reunion? I’m up for the big 30 soon, which I can’t believe.

Anyway, at the last 25 reunion, I felt like people just talked to the same people they talked to when in high school. It was more like a whole bunch of ‘clicks’ again. Reliving what it was like in high school. I didn’t see much of ‘oh hey, I didn’t know you or hang out with you while in high school, but how’s its going. Tell me about your life’.

I wasn’t the most popular or least popular in high school - sorta in the middle of the pack. But feel like folks should venture out and talk to others outside their old circles.

Anyone feel that way? I’m trying to see if at our next reunion, we could have more of ‘ice breakers’ and gently push people to talk to others they might not remember. Is that a bad idea? Are these generally meant to relive and try to keep the memories as they were. If you were at a reunion and someone suggested ‘ice breakers’ would you be offended?

Move on with your life, don't try to make up for feeling inadequate back then.

Comment

Pass. I am wondering if these are still much of a thing any more with social media, people being more mobile than in previous generations, and almost everyone going to college. Unless you have another reason for the trip (to visit family), it’s hard to imagine booking a flight and hotel for something like this.

Comment

No, I dont feel that way. Its a HS reunion not a professional conference. I wouldnt be going there to talk to randos, and though I did go to my 10 years as an excuse to visit friends/family, I dont go to these things.

I frankly have a hard time remembering all but the very core group of friends, things have happened. Unless I lived in my HS town, I think its a bit strange, I mean you do you, but cant fathom a reason to care about HS reunion. Isnt this what social media is for? Disclaimer I also dont have a facebook, etc...so Im def not normal.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaphod View Post
          No, I dont feel that way. Its a HS reunion not a professional conference. I wouldnt be going there to talk to randos, and though I did go to my 10 years as an excuse to visit friends/family, I dont go to these things.

I frankly have a hard time remembering all but the very core group of friends, things have happened. Unless I lived in my HS town, I think its a bit strange, I mean you do you, but cant fathom a reason to care about HS reunion. Isnt this what social media is for? Disclaimer I also dont have a facebook, etc...so Im def not normal.
          Yeah I live like 40 minutes away. And I’m getting invites and chats about the big 30. And I really don’t wanna go cause it feels like very shallow.

Comment

Never understood the point. Anyone I care to stay in touch with, I stay in touch with. Anyone I don't, well why would I want to see them again?

Feel like these kinds of things are made for/run by the people who peaked in high school

Comment

Originally posted by Panscan View Post
              Never understood the point. Anyone I care to stay in touch with, I stay in touch with. Anyone I don't, well why would I want to see them again?

Feel like these kinds of things are made for/run by the people who peaked in high school
              LOL

Comment

I dont talk to the majority of these people virtually or on facebook, so why would I want to talk to them in person. But I guess , these occasions are nice if you still have your hair or at a BMI of 20

Comment

I am grateful to gather with the group of people who helped me grow up. We grew up together. They know me in ways that even my husband does not know me.

Comment

I was our senior class president and I guess I dropped the ball and did not plan one for 10 years. I was a resident, just had a baby and was living out of state. A few people from my home town complained and I told them they can plan it if they want and no one did. I did not know that was in the job description when I ran for office haha. 20 years will be coming up soon but I feel the same way as others have said. I kept in touch with the few that I wanted to. I am curious about a couple of people I guess but not enough to reach out. I do not do facebook so that limits how much I know.

Comment

Originally posted by jz- View Post
                      I am grateful to gather with the group of people who helped me grow up. We grew up together. They know me in ways that even my husband does not know me.
                      Yeah, I'm not sure if my group of friends in high school "helped me grow up". Lol. Frankly I'm amazed that half of us were never arrested for the dumb crap we did. I'll hang out with them when I go back home but could care less about most of the people in high school.

Comment

I like my med school reunions but have never been to a high school reunion

Comment

Man, I love the reunions! I love seeing folks and catching up. I can barely keep in touch with my best friends, so it is a wonderful opportunity to catch up with those casual friends.

Super bummed that my med school reunion was a zoom last year, but it was neat seeing folks.

Also, not that I want to network, but more docs show up at my HS than med school reunion (refer to that HS selection thread).

Finally, at one of them, I set up a date that resulted in me smooching a gal that I had crushed on back in the day. (OK, so maybe this is the reason I'm so fond of reunions!)

Comment

Originally posted by G View Post
                            Man, I love the reunions! I love seeing folks and catching up. I can barely keep in touch with my best friends, so it is a wonderful opportunity to catch up with those casual friends.

Super bummed that my med school reunion was a zoom last year, but it was neat seeing folks.

Also, not that I want to network, but more docs show up at my HS than med school reunion (refer to that HS selection thread).

Finally, at one of them, I set up a date that resulted in me smooching a gal that I had crushed on back in the day. (OK, so maybe this is the reason I'm so fond of reunions!)
                            She is after your money now that you are a loaded doctor!

Comment

I haven't been interested since #10. And I quit going to high school football games about that time. My mom and her husband have reserved seats lol - but he was the football coach and later the superintendent, so I guess it makes more sense. Football is about as big a social event in our little town as it is in TX, though.
                              Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Working...
                              X