What's the worst job you've ever had?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the worst job you've ever had?

Worst job you've ever had? I worked in a wooden pallet recycling factory for a summer with some rough people. My neighbor owned the place and thought it would give me some perspective on why a college education and beyond was a good idea for me. Spent the summer being called "college boy" by the local ruffians and couldn't get out of there fast enough. The pay was pretty good though at the time.

I wouldn't say I've had an awful job. I've learned something from all of them.

Oil field: Learned that I could likely work longer using my mind and not my body. Lots of sketchy people but lots of good people. I'm actually surprised there aren't more injuries/deaths.

Farm: Learned that I could likely work longer using my mind and not my body. No matter how strong I can get, I'll never be stronger than even some of the smaller animals.

Red Lobster: Few downsides could outweigh all you could eat cheddar biscuits. I was pumped when I found out there was a restaurant softball league and I remember how excited I was for the first game. That excitement quickly left when I found out that particular Red Lobster sucked at softball. We got dominated by Red Robin and I never went back.

Comment

Every kid should do a little manual labor to learn the facts of life. To the question: In high school, delivering furniture sold as part of a “promotion” for buying cleaning products. It was pretty shady. My driving partner was seriously strung out on drugs most of the time, and we were not delivering to the nice side of town.

Comment

Busing tables and washing dishes at my parent's restaurant. Do it long enough and you start thinking "manual labor blows".

Comment

Lots of jobs. None terrible. Lots of manual labor jobs, mostly landscaping in the south east. Ran a lawn service with my brother in high school. Washed dishes in a Chinese restaurant, which sucked because almost no one in the kitchen could speak English and i felt very isolated. I bussed tables and parked cars in medical school for almost nothing.

Comment

Being a telemarketer for a summer.

There is no close 2nd place worst job for me. And I powerwashed hog buildings growing up. Manure was everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Tangler View Post
              Lots of jobs. None terrible. Lots of manual labor jobs, mostly landscaping in the south east. Ran a lawn service with my brother in high school. Washed dishes in a Chinese restaurant, which sucked because almost no one in the kitchen could speak English and i felt very isolated. I bussed tables and parked cars in medical school for almost nothing.
              It's ok they were all just talking behind your back.

Hopefully you got good eats. When the restaurant closed everyone would gather for a late dinner before going home.

Comment

I worked in a small sewer plant for a couple summers during highschool. I enjoyed the chemistry/nerdy part of it. I did not enjoy using a snow shovel to scrap crap off a sand pit. And the sludge tanks were particularly malodorous It did teach me to tolerate almost any smell which was useful in medical school and beyond.

Comment

Working in a fish and chips place. Sewing Leisure suits in an illegal basement factory.

Comment

Worked at a landfill/incinerator site 1 summer in college, helping town residents unload unwanted items into appropriate large roll off bins. You would get used to the smell within 30 minutes of arrival each day and it would take an hour to blow the soot out my nose after getting home. Still was a better job than the 3 weeks I worked at Burger King

Comment

Dairy farm hands down

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post
                        I worked in a small sewer plant for a couple summers during highschool. I enjoyed the chemistry/nerdy part of it. I did not enjoy using a snow shovel to scrap crap off a sand pit. And the sludge tanks were particularly malodorous It did teach me to tolerate almost any smell which was useful in medical school and beyond.
                        Probably a Mike Rowe approved job

Comment

Oh the memories....

I had a lawn mowing business in grade school which wasn't bad.

I think my worst job was recycling used bricks. I was paid $0.05 per brick to find the brick in a landfill, hammer off all the all mortar, and stack them on a pallet. Provided my own hammer in which the head was worn down at an angle at the end of the summer.

Installed siding on residential homes during college. Not too bad, although I was electrocuted, coded and brought back after falling off the scaffolding on my back giving me a precordial thump. I thought the electrical outlet was off that I was working on but the light bulb was just burned out. Good times.

My college roommate and I had a business we ran out of our dorm room selling sub sandwiches we made and a bunch of junk food. We bought stuff cheap at outlet stores and made about 50% profit. We even leased some vending machines and talked the university into letting us set them up around campus and they would take them over when we graduated. I don't think that would fly today. I was on my way to financial independence at an early age!

Comment

I worked on my grandpa’s small (couple hundred head between his home farm and the feed lot) cattle farm for a few weeks most summers. Moved sprinkler pipe, hauled hay, fed the animals twice a day, mucked stalls, etc. Woke up early every day and was asleep at night as soon as my head hit the pillow, usually around 8 pm. Never worked so hard in my life. I’ll never forgot the green snot you would blow for days after hauling hay. Taught me he value of an education and of hard work, and since I got to work with my grandpa it wasn’t bad.

By far my worst job, and probably worst of any job, was cold calling people as a telemarketer trying to sell them season tickets for the local metro ballet. I can still remember some of the spiel I used to give over the phone, and the name of the principal dancer, even 25 years later. Made $4.25/hour plus commission, which at first sounded great until you realized you had to sell ballet tickets to people who weren’t interested, for the most part, in ballet tickets. Our boss, a mid 20s woman, was dating the principal dancer, who was French. They used to spend a lot of the time during the evenings when we worked in her office with the door locked and the shutters drawn... It was bad enough as a soon to be high school senior for a summer job saving money for my senior trip, but there were also several middle aged people who worked there in the evenings, after coming from their day jobs.

I also washed dishes and prepared snacks and served meals at a SNF during my last year of undergrad before going to medical school. The only redeeming thing about that job was that I would think every day how I was earning enough to pay for another medical school application, or going towards an interview. I remember telling my boss I needed to quit. She was sad to lose me because I was probably the best worker she’d ever had in that position. She tried to convince me to stay for a $.25/hour raise but I told her I was moving away to go to med school and there was nothing she could do to convince me to stay.

Comment

Roofer.

Comment

Working...
                              X