Should I be miffed or flattered?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I be miffed or flattered?

A different financial planning firm has copied our front page picture (hot air balloons) and the saying we made up (Elevate Your Expectations). Is there such a thing as a copyright on a slogan? Or should I just feel complimented? It's a pretty big AUM firm, so I'm leaning toward "imitation, the sincerest form of flattery" but I can't help but feel somewhat irritated.
    Working to protect good doctors from bad advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Yes. (Mostly miffed, maybe actionable.)

Comment

Yes. (Mostly miffed, maybe actionable.)

just "Yes"?
      Working to protect good doctors from bad advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

In terms of creative work, would copyright infringement / plagiarism be considered the sincerest form of flattery? That's really annoying.

I would defer to the lawyers on this forum (I'm sure there are some), but if you can demonstrate any willful intent to misrepresent the firm as your's, or if any business was redirected to them due to something they did, I guess you could take legal recourse. Hard to prove that, so I guess I would just be annoyed and call it a day. Perhaps, take a jab at them (with a smile) at the next financial advisors weekly meeting at the local super-expensive winery (isn't that what financial advisors do every Friday?)

Comment

I'd document and lawyer up.  But that's just a random guy on the internet talkin all big.   

Comment

Perhaps, take a jab at them (with a smile) at the next financial advisors weekly meeting at the local super-expensive winery (isn’t that what financial advisors do every Friday?)

Hard to drink wine virtually   and the only advisors I communicate with are remote, as are 99% of the clients I hang out with. I don't feel like going to war, though.

Comment

Perhaps, take a jab at them (with a smile) at the next financial advisors weekly meeting at the local super-expensive winery (isn’t that what financial advisors do every Friday?) 
              Click to expand…

Hard to drink wine virtually   and the only advisors I communicate with are remote, as are 99% of the clients I hang out with. I don’t feel like going to war, though.

Not too hard

Perhaps you should buy them out. Or take them out for a glass of real wine. Or let the balloons float away and find a nice mountain view, or fields of Canadian Canola (they look yellow/gold!).

On a serious note, you can trademark certain layouts and designs, such as those balloons, text, layout, market sector, etc. Were those 100% your idea? Or was that a stock layout, image, design, text? If so, that may bit more difficult to differentiate. You may find other firms with a search like this, to see how unique such a slogan is in the wild.

Comment

Working...
              X