Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Subaru vs Honda?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Have a Subaru impreza and a honda civic. Wife likes the subaru, i like the civic.

    Comment


    • #17
      Currently driving a Honda Accord and college-aged daughter driving a Subaru Legacy. We were impressed with all of the safety features of the Legacy when we got it for her as a teenaged driver. (I’ll take the Accord for myself).

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by BruinBones View Post
        Currently driving a Honda Accord and college-aged daughter driving a Subaru Legacy. We were impressed with all of the safety features of the Legacy when we got it for her as a teenaged driver. (I’ll take the Accord for myself).
        Agree...the Subaru safety tech seems pretty slick which is most important for me especially since he will also be driving his 3 siblings.

        Comment


        • #19
          I also have to throw in a plug for the Subaru resale value. We just sold our 2016 Forester with 90k miles for a surprising $15,000. (If you need to sell a used car, run - do not walk - to Carvana. The whole process took literally 10 minutes and they paid us $2,500 over what the local dealer was offering. The guy didn’t even drive it. I’m not sure how they’re turning a profit but it worked out for us.)

          I had originally wanted to buy a gently used Outback but found that the 2-year-old models were going for 85-90% of a new one. Ended up buying new because it seemed worth the extra 10%. Anyway, they really hold their value something impressive.

          Comment


          • #20
            I have a 2019 Crosstrek that I've owned for a little over a year, and I previously owned an older Civic (that I only got rid of because of a blown head gasket). I test drove a 2019 Forester at the time I was looking for vehicles...I'm not a car person, so I do not know all of the technical terms for how to describe what exactly my experience has been. All I can say is that it felt like steering wheel was incredibly heavy, I felt like I had to grip the wheel just to get it to turn, parking and straightening the car out was difficult; I didn't like it at all. The Crosstrek drives a bit more like a sedan, but the steering wheel is a bit heavy as well. I genuinely can't stand the CVT. It changes gears all the time, randomly, while driving, it's very noticeable, and it just makes for a less enjoyable driving experience. (I did look at the CRV before buying...the CRV gained a CVT in 2015.) I'm not really sure how to describe this, but I think because it, like I think all Subarus, has a flat engine (rather than in-line), the baseline car movement is more noticeable when the car is idling (e.g., at a stoplight). I think that the suspension makes it feel like a bobblehead going down the road, particularly compared to my previous Civic, and I suppose I wouldn't be surprised if this is true of all SUVs. For all of the aforementioned reasons, I don't like the car.

            I like the outward (forward) visibility, and side and rear visibility is decent. I really like that it is more of a moderate-sized vehicle. It doesn't slip so noticeably on snowy/slushy roads like my Civic did (I think full time AWD vs FWD is the reason). I definitely feel like my car is safe on the road and have no regrets about selecting a car with a reliable reputation for longevity and safety, but I wouldn't buy it again.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by SpacemanSpiff12 View Post
              I also have to throw in a plug for the Subaru resale value. We just sold our 2016 Forester with 90k miles for a surprising $15,000. (If you need to sell a used car, run - do not walk - to Carvana. The whole process took literally 10 minutes and they paid us $2,500 over what the local dealer was offering. The guy didn’t even drive it. I’m not sure how they’re turning a profit but it worked out for us.)

              I had originally wanted to buy a gently used Outback but found that the 2-year-old models were going for 85-90% of a new one. Ended up buying new because it seemed worth the extra 10%. Anyway, they really hold their value something impressive.
              Yep...my brother sold his car to caravana and said the same thing.

              Yeah I’m finding that like toyota there isn’t a lot of money to be saved going used unless you go really high mileage. Can find lower mileage 2017-18 outback for 17-18k but can get a base model outback or forester in the low to mid 20s with full warranty. I just have a hard time buying a 16 year old(even though he is the model teenager...thank god) a brand new car. I’ve never even had a brand new car and I’m in my 40s and 8.5 years out of training!

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by redsand View Post
                I have a 2019 Crosstrek that I've owned for a little over a year, and I previously owned an older Civic (that I only got rid of because of a blown head gasket). I test drove a 2019 Forester at the time I was looking for vehicles...I'm not a car person, so I do not know all of the technical terms for how to describe what exactly my experience has been. All I can say is that it felt like steering wheel was incredibly heavy, I felt like I had to grip the wheel just to get it to turn, parking and straightening the car out was difficult; I didn't like it at all. The Crosstrek drives a bit more like a sedan, but the steering wheel is a bit heavy as well. I genuinely can't stand the CVT. It changes gears all the time, randomly, while driving, it's very noticeable, and it just makes for a less enjoyable driving experience. (I did look at the CRV before buying...the CRV gained a CVT in 2015.) I'm not really sure how to describe this, but I think because it, like I think all Subarus, has a flat engine (rather than in-line), the baseline car movement is more noticeable when the car is idling (e.g., at a stoplight). I think that the suspension makes it feel like a bobblehead going down the road, particularly compared to my previous Civic, and I suppose I wouldn't be surprised if this is true of all SUVs. For all of the aforementioned reasons, I don't like the car.

                I like the outward (forward) visibility, and side and rear visibility is decent. I really like that it is more of a moderate-sized vehicle. It doesn't slip so noticeably on snowy/slushy roads like my Civic did (I think full time AWD vs FWD is the reason). I definitely feel like my car is safe on the road and have no regrets about selecting a car with a reliable reputation for longevity and safety, but I wouldn't buy it again.
                Yeah I’m finding that CVT has caused a huge uproar on the Subaru forums. People in general(or at least the most vocal) seem to really hate it.

                Comment


                • #23
                  From what I've gleaned in the car zeitgeist, the cult love for Subara is on par with that of the Tesla. We rented an outback 3 years ago. We loved it. Not enough to buy it as we already had relatively new cars. But wife and I still long for it three years later. That's kind of weird. It's also uber popular in the LGBT community.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Honda for sure

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Live with snow and ice... TONS of Subies (Subarus) around here. Our 4th of july parade even brings out the tour of the old subies that still run, it's hilarious! (Although my favorite is the drill team made up of 65+ year old men in ski boots and flinging skis around like flag poles!). Everyone up here owns a Subaru. We had one until our family got too big. My mom owns one and my 16 year old daughter prefers driving her car over any of ours. However, Hondas are great cars too.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Lifelong Honda/Acura owner but must admit that I went to a Subaru Impreza on my most recent purchase. Liked styling more as well as Eyesight and automatic braking in reverse is a bonus when you have 4 children driving the vehicle. The CrossTrek is essentially the same vehicle as the Impreza just raised suspension. Very early in our Subaru ownership (18 months) but no issues and is a rock solid ride. Have always found Hondas incredibly reliable and trouble free.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          2013 Civic, 2008 Accord, 2019 CRV currently.
                          Gave the 2007 CRV with 250k miles to BIL. Still running fine.

                          The only Honda ever buried was a 2003 Civic that HS and Katrina (4th floor parking helps) and Austin. “Civi” was rear ended at a stop light and the rear frame bent about 45 degrees. No injuries. Insurance totaled but paid about $8k because of 90k mi and excellent condition. The mechanic sent pictures to the adjuster. Used as school commuter car and a hand me down for same to next sibling. RIP “Civi”.

                          What was the other one?

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            You can't beat a Honda!

                            Over the years, we have purchased quite a few and have been pleased with the reliability. We always drive cars until the wheels fall off. (1-Odyssey, 1CR-V, 3-Civics, 1 HR-V, 1Accord, 1Ridgeline)

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              I have an outback. Got it in 2016 new. I have not had any problems. I am in a pretty snowy area and it handles the weather well. Never had a honda to compare.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Thanks everyone! Sounds like I can’t go wrong with either. Guess I’ll just see which one gives me a better deal.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X