Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surge compensation

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Surge compensation

    Back in March/April the hospital reached out to us employed outpatient physicians to see who would be willing to help out if the worst happened and the hospital became overrun or too many hospitalists fell ill. We did some training and made some schedules but never saw the volumes that would cause us to be needed.

    Fast forward to December and they said and I paraphrase

    Hospital "hey you said you would help out. Well now it is getting bad again and here is a call schedule we will let you know the night before when we need you"

    Me- What is the compensation?

    Them- you will be paid fairly. We can figure it out later.

    Me- hmmmm

    I was also told they do not want to say because the hospitalists might get mad if it is more then they make. I could give two craps if it makes someone mad. I think I deserve to know ahead of time.

    Anyway there are a few of us that would like to help because we are concerned about the patients and healthcare in the community. But we do not want to be taken advantaged of which I suspect will happen.

    What is a fair rate for this kind of work?

    I am actually interested in doing it and feel that I can to some capacity. I realize some people would not touch this with a 10 foot pole and would not do it for any amount of money. But I am interested in what would be a fair rate.

    I would love ideas, comments, suggestions.

    Also trying to talk me out of it would be appreciated.

    Thanks!

  • #2
    I've had this happen pre-covid where out of good faith our group decided to cover services at another hospital a good drive away on the condition we would work out the financial details later as they needed coverage ASAP. BIG mistake! It did not end in our favor. Our only recourse was to quit or accept what was given to us. Anyway, you should make at least what a hospitalist does per hour, but I don't know the going rates are for that.

    Comment


    • #3
      Clearly you shouldn't "figure it out later"
      So you would be on call for a daytime shift, and they would call you the night before? Don't you have a clinic? Is this weekends?
      Are you hospital employee, I forget

      Comment


      • #4
        January is a long time from last March/April. The intent is not a negotiation, the intent is to gain clarity and a common agreement.
        Compensation needs to be decided for the good of the hospital and the good of the physicians. A fair number that is mutually beneficial in this difficult time.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by childay View Post
          Clearly you shouldn't "figure it out later"
          So you would be on call for a daytime shift, and they would call you the night before? Don't you have a clinic? Is this weekends?
          Are you hospital employee, I forget
          Clearly lol. I am demanding we figure this out first. But it seems like I care more then the other docs. Maybe they are more trusting then me. Maybe more gullible.

          Yes days only. 7am to 7pm. 10-12 patients but I am sure that will be depending

          Yeah it would cost me my office schedule for the day. This is what I am most upset about. I do not like the idea of last minute cancelling 20ish people. Then having a horrible next few days catching up.

          Weekend as well. No office schedule to deal with but my wife is not too keen on it. She is stuck home with the kids by herself more then she likes already.

          I am employed.

          Comment


          • #6
            Super unscientific but here’s this. (I promise no exploding genitalia)

            https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Salarie...w-York-City,NY

            Ranges from $120-170/hr for typical hospitalist salary in New York City. Negotiate up or down from around there I guess

            This is specifically locums which is $170/190 per hour days/night.

            https://www.locumtenens.com/hospital...rk/job-1044869

            Comment


            • #7
              youre doing a locums job AND losing your day of productivity that you have to make up (including wRVUs? in addition to the hassle to your own patients, who may have scheduled their own day off of work to see you only to be canceled at the last minute)- I for sure would not accept anything less than the rate locums are getting paid. Also remember the hospital is paying the locum company more than the locums are getting paid.

              If you work for the hospital I may be misreading the situation

              Comment


              • #8
                I would ask for my typical clinic pay that I'm missing plus I'd expect to be compensated more than the hospitalists. I'd definitely get everything in writing before I started.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Nysoz View Post
                  Super unscientific but here’s this. (I promise no exploding genitalia)

                  https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Salarie...w-York-City,NY

                  Ranges from $120-170/hr for typical hospitalist salary in New York City. Negotiate up or down from around there I guess

                  This is specifically locums which is $170/190 per hour days/night.

                  https://www.locumtenens.com/hospital...rk/job-1044869
                  Thanks for not tricking me into watching 80's action porn again!

                  Wow I thought hospitalists made more that that. My salary oscillates in the upper 200s so I figured they must make more then that.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    its NYC so probably going to be less than everywhere else in the country.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Panscan View Post
                      its NYC so probably going to be less than everywhere else in the country.
                      I am not in NYC but I used the site to look at my area.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Our local hospital system is enacting a similar surge plan and asking other employed docs to help out as well. Pay fluctuates based on the number of patients you’re seeing but pay per hour is roughly between $150-200/hr plus RVUs if you’re part of the healthcare system so I would expect something in that range. If you’re only rounding on 10 patients I would expect on the lower end but if I were being asked to bump and reschedule my daily panel of patients I would want on the upper end. Also, having done this recently, picking up only one shift at a time is brutal as subsequent shifts with the same patients are markedly easier than that first shift. Finally, as others are saying, definitely agree on compensation beforehand or expect to be disappointed after the fact.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Lordosis View Post
                          Back in March/April the hospital reached out to us employed outpatient physicians to see who would be willing to help out if the worst happened and the hospital became overrun or too many hospitalists fell ill. We did some training and made some schedules but never saw the volumes that would cause us to be needed.

                          Fast forward to December and they said and I paraphrase

                          Hospital "hey you said you would help out. Well now it is getting bad again and here is a call schedule we will let you know the night before when we need you"

                          Me- What is the compensation?

                          Them- you will be paid fairly. We can figure it out later.

                          Me- hmmmm

                          I was also told they do not want to say because the hospitalists might get mad if it is more then they make. I could give two craps if it makes someone mad. I think I deserve to know ahead of time.

                          Anyway there are a few of us that would like to help because we are concerned about the patients and healthcare in the community. But we do not want to be taken advantaged of which I suspect will happen.

                          What is a fair rate for this kind of work?

                          I am actually interested in doing it and feel that I can to some capacity. I realize some people would not touch this with a 10 foot pole and would not do it for any amount of money. But I am interested in what would be a fair rate.

                          I would love ideas, comments, suggestions.

                          Also trying to talk me out of it would be appreciated.

                          Thanks!
                          You should be paid emergency hazard rates, which should be substantially more than the Hospitalists that you are emergently covering with no notice. It should be in writing before you show up for any shift. Otherwise, I’d politely decline and never give it a 2nd thought.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            If memory serves, you have productivity incentives as well. One or two days would not hurt. If it stretches out, you need to balance your contract job. It needs to have limits, not only rates. Who would think admin would drag their feet with a low priority. Remember the merry go round for office support?
                            Maximum commitment and date certain.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              “I have a full day of clinic I have to cancel and I’m going to miss dinner with my family. I want to help, but I need to know I’m not losing money in the deal. It’s not reasonable to ask me to work without knowing pay - I’m sure you wouldn’t agree to that. Thanks”

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X