Now I understand why people get $1 meals at McDonalds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post

I do not think it depends on the person. $600 for a meal is a waste.
    Most of the time. But for my 25th my wife and I did a wonderful overnight stay at The Inn at Little Washington. Double that price, but a 5 star dinner plus great experience (intriguing and unique rooms, chef’s tour of the kitchen, afternoon tea, breakfast in the Japanese garden). Worth it.

Comment

Within driving distance of me is BlackBerry farm. Supposedly a lot of super famous people and politicians go there. One of these days I’ve got to try it out. Apparently 3 night minimum and rooms are like $2k a night but the food there is world class supposedly.

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post

I do not think it depends on the person. $600 for a meal is a waste.
        $500 would be my tops to dine with Warren Buffet in that auction thing. That includes round trip airfare.

Comment

Originally posted by burritos View Post
          I thought beef liver was cheap at whole foods. 5.99/lb. Plus they didn't have it in stock all the time. I've discovered the small mexican "mercados". $1.99 per pound of higado(beef liver) and they always seem to have a lot of it. They're literally giving away arguably the most nutritious part of the animal. Interesting tidbit. I was in an extra voracious mood for liver and had 2 servings this weekend. Later that afternoon my urine was fluorescent yellow. It was like gatorade or highlighter yellow. Answer(no not bilirubin). Riboflavin.
          You and the beef liver. We get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamban View Post
            Yesterday we decided to not cook or eat leftovers and decided to have a take out dinner. My spouse and daughter picked Panera bread.

I order a basic Caprese sandwich and a small soup. My wife wants a Med veggie sandwich and a small tomato soup. My daughter gets the Pick two and had Mac'Cheese and a soup. And the bill, with a $3 tip comes to $45. Freaking unbelievable. If I had ordered some somoothies or a bowl it might even have gone past a Benjamin. The sandwich and soup was not filling and we had to top it up with some stuff at home.

As a doc I can afford that nearly $50 bill for just 3 people. How do people who earn much less and have three or 4 kids afford to go places like Panera, which now costs as much as a restaurant meal. No wonder they go to McDonalds and Jack in the Box and get all those calories for under $10. A couple of Papa John's pizzas would have been less than half the price and fed double the number of people.
            totally agree. take out prices have gotten insane, especially if you're doing it on an app like uber eats. you cant get a reasonable meal at anywhere close to a reasonable price. $45 for Panera for 3? unacceptable.

Comment

fwiw at this point in my life i consume almost no fast food.

i occasionally order jimmy johns at work, that's really it.

i find the cult of Chik-fil-a to be absolutely absurd, although i do think their sammiches are awesome. the idea that they are "above it" in any way it just so silly. there is a chik-fil-a literally 2 blocks from my place and i have never visited it. if nothing else i am not going to sit in line for 20 min just for a fast food sandwich that is slightly above average.

McD's breakfast i will still grab once in a blue moon but honestly i haven't in well over a year. used to be my go to after, *ahem,* a late evening but precious few of those anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Nysoz View Post

I met Thomas Keller at a sushi restaurant in Atlanta, my co-resident was fan boying as much as I probably would with Elon Musk lol.
                That's awesome.

One can make the cogent argument that the VALUE for a Thomas Keller restaurant's full course meal makes sense, but the same cannot be said for Elon's company's stock price....

Comment

Originally posted by Nysoz View Post
                  Within driving distance of me is BlackBerry farm. Supposedly a lot of super famous people and politicians go there. One of these days I’ve got to try it out. Apparently 3 night minimum and rooms are like $2k a night but the food there is world class supposedly.
                  I will be like a fish out of water in a place like that. I can afford it, but it will be a waste of money.

I would rather book a $100 a night room at Holiday Inn or Hampton Inn in the Smokies, and use the time and money to explore that beautiful park.

Comment

When we feel unhealthy, we get a bucket of Jollibee fried chicken. It goes up a notch with beer.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheTodd View Post

Hard to say that a 600$ per person dinner is good on cost per quality. I just ate at french laundry and loved it. I have no regrets. But call it what it is, splurging on an over the top experience. It’s hard to call something like that value when I can get an equally filling and still delicious burrito for 9$ down the street (to be fair I am in California, on the east coast that was nonexistent).
                      You must not be a foodie then. Definitely worth it, and would go again in a heartbeat.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheTodd View Post

Hard to say that a 600$ per person dinner is good on cost per quality. I just ate at french laundry and loved it. I have no regrets. But call it what it is, splurging on an over the top experience. It’s hard to call something like that value when I can get an equally filling and still delicious burrito for 9$ down the street (to be fair I am in California, on the east coast that was nonexistent).
                        that is a terrible name for a restaurant...

Comment

• Originally posted by Lordosis View Post

My typical lunch I pack and bring in cost about 1-2% of my hourly wage.

The average nurse and staff in my office order in quite a bit and it is something like 50% of their hourly wage. I do not get it.

Same situation for me. I always bring in my lunch from home (often left overs or something about to expire) which probably costs me between $1 to $3 each day. But my staff order in Door Dash, Grub Hub etc everyday. Their bills are often $20 per person, which is more than most of their hourly wages that our hospital pays them.

Comment

• I flew in for the French Laundry. 100% worth it.

Comment

• I can’t believe nobody has mentioned Steak ‘N Shake - GOAT in my book.
                              Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Working...
                              X