No announcement yet.

Three-row midsize SUV Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wait you do not have any kids yet? I would hold off until you need the space.

If you really want to put the money towards making driving safer use it to move closer to your job/school. Bigger is not always better. Not only is it a more costly vehicle but it is more costly to maintain.

If you plan on kids you will have the rest of your life to drive around giant boats. Enjoy the smaller car.

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post
      If you plan on kids you will have the rest of your life to drive around giant boats. Enjoy the smaller car.
      Lol yeah no kids yet, but thinking ahead and father-in-law / wife are pretty convinced we need the larger vehicle now. As mentioned by others it is a gift and I'm not too keen on rocking the boat. Pun intended.

I will continue to drive the 2011 Subaru Forester to and from work. The SUV will primarily be for the wife and future kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Dicast View Post
        The Highlander did get totaled but my wife walked away pretty much unscathed. She rear-ended a F450..maybe doing 50 mph or so.
        Very glad to hear she walked away!

Comment

Originally posted by MillennialDoc View Post
          We are going to try to get pregnant within the next year or so. We are waiting to start trying after the transition to residency. We are planning to drive the new car for a while. I don't expect my wife or I will be sitting in the 3rd row often, so it doesn't have to be special. We just want space in case in-laws are visiting and we have car seats for our future children in the 2nd row captain's chairs etc.

Plus larger vehicles are generally safer overall. I.e: I would rather have an infant/children in the middle of a new SUV than a 10+ year old, smaller crossover in generally any accident scenario.

We will check out the Telluride and Pilot!
          My wife and I both have MDXes (2011 and 2014). We pretty much always keep our 3rd row down for extra cargo space. It's been a long time since I've tried to get into the 3rd row but I don't think your in-laws will like you putting them there.

Comment

We have a 2020 Ascent and have been happy with it. We purchased it after previously leasing a RDX. Consumer Reports was pretty critical of it. It’s interesting that the rankings have gotten worse since it was introduced. The only issue I’ve had are squealing brakes (I’m told there is a dealer service bulletin addressing it) and a replacement windshield for about $750ish because of the eyesight cameras and not wanting to use insurance.

If you go with the captain seats and have both occupied with car seats, there’s no easy access to the third row.

I had a previous career in the insurance world and Subarus including 2011s have always been safe. Frankly your FIL is puffing smoke, a 2021 Ascent or any model isn’t significantly safer than a 2011. The new technology with the auto braking, lane departure, etc helps to avoid accidents but there isn’t a significant difference in how the unibody structure absorbs an impact.

Comment

Originally posted by Dicast View Post
              We have a Honda Odyssey and really like it. Before that we had a 2016 I think Toyota Highlander. The Highlander did get totaled but my wife walked away pretty much unscathed. She rear-ended a F450..maybe doing 50 mph or so. I don't know that a Forester is that much more unsafe than a Highlander or similar sized vehicle but if they want to gift it to you I wouldn't argue.
              Yeah. I sheepishly admit to rear ending someone with my 2014 odyssey 2 year ago on the freeway. Nothing major, just body damage. Had it fixed. Still love it.

Comment

Yeah if you want something for hauling kids a minivan is the way to go. if you want a big A car because they in-laws will buy it for you then get the big A car.

But remember it will not protect you from missile attacks.

Comment

So just to recap:
                  you need a large SUV for 2 people and some number of imaginary children.

Why not wait until/if there are actual children? I'm so confused.

Comment

The wife wants a big SUV. End of the discussion.

Comment

No one here mentioned a lightly used Model X??? I'm not even really a Tesla guy...yet.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorbone View Post
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	momma-aint-happy.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	243721

Comment

Originally posted by doctorbone View Post
                          I thought it was the overbearing FIL?

Comment

Originally posted by wideopenspaces View Post

I thought it was the overbearing FIL?
                            I wish my FIL were so overbearing that he'd buy me a new SUV.

Comment

Originally posted by jhwkr542 View Post

I wish my FIL were so overbearing that he'd buy me a new SUV.
                              Are you sure about that? Imagine what else he'll want a say in . . .

Comment

Get a seven seat Tesla model Y once you:
                                1. Pay off student loans; and
                                2. Have a kid

Comment

Working...
                                X