No announcement yet.

Three-row midsize SUV Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three-row midsize SUV Recommendations?

(4th yr medical student)

Wife and I are looking to purchase a new three-row midsize SUV. Wife’s parents are gifting money for the vehicle. Father-in-law was a first bystander to a scene of a car crash and unfortunately the passengers passed away. He would like us to be in a larger safer vehicle. Currently we are driving a 2011 Subaru Forester.

We test drove the 2021 Subaru Ascent Touring and 2021 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Platinum. We really liked the Subaru Ascent. Any other make and models you would recommend we check out? Safety is our highest priority. Budget max of $50-60k (2 years of $15k gifts from both inlaws).

We absolutely love our 2019 Honda Pilot. Very family friendly. Even mid-level packages have some nice pluses (remote start, leather, Apple Car play, USB ports in the back, etc).

We drove a ton of cars (though not the Subaru) including the Highlander, 4 Runner, VW Atlas, Ford Explorer and settled on the Pilot. Been very happy thus far but have only owned it for a couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by MillennialDoc View Post
      (4th yr medical student)

Wife and I are looking to purchase a new three-row midsize SUV. Wife’s parents are gifting money for the vehicle. Father-in-law was a first bystander to a scene of a car crash and unfortunately the passengers passed away. He would like us to be in a larger safer vehicle. Currently we are driving a 2011 Subaru Forester.

We test drove the 2021 Subaru Ascent Touring and 2021 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Platinum. We really liked the Subaru Ascent. Any other make and models you would recommend we check out? Safety is our highest priority. Budget max of $50-60k (2 years of $15k gifts from both inlaws).
      didnt know a 9yo SUV was unsafe and would lead to the imminent death of you, your spouse, and future children.

maybe you could use some of your med student knowledge and explain cognitive biases to them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cognitive_biases

personally i would say, hold onto the money, well come to you when we need it. thank you for your concern.

even better, take the money, and say since its a gift we are saving/investing it and will decide whats best.

Comment

This is the wrong place to ask for specific car advice, as the consensus around these parts is mostly "drive your beater into the ground for 20 years or else you're commiting financial suicide." For better or worse.
        ​​​

Comment

Originally posted by MillennialDoc View Post
          (4th yr medical student)

How many passengers are going to be there? Kids/ any parents and in-laws also to fit into the vehicle? Why 3 rows of seats?

Comment

Honda Pilot or Acura MDX would fit the criteria of 3 rows. A Honda odyssey minivan would be more practical if you have small kids. And it is a true 8 seater.

Comment

Just to answer your specific question, we just bought a Kia Telluride in October and my wife absolutely loves it. Would highly recommend to anyone shopping in that size class.

Comment

How much leg room you need in that 3rd seat and how often? The cars you mention get pretty tight in the 3rd row.

Comment

We have a highlander , it was a good purchase , but I am sure you know it is not an investment. We got the bench seat in the 2nd row , in case you need to fit another kid in there. the third row is only good for those who are vertically challenged. Happy with the safety features, lane assist and adaptive breaking.

Comment

We are going to try to get pregnant within the next year or so. We are waiting to start trying after the transition to residency. We are planning to drive the new car for a while. I don't expect my wife or I will be sitting in the 3rd row often, so it doesn't have to be special. We just want space in case in-laws are visiting and we have car seats for our future children in the 2nd row captain's chairs etc.

Plus larger vehicles are generally safer overall. I.e: I would rather have an infant/children in the middle of a new SUV than a 10+ year old, smaller crossover in generally any accident scenario.

We will check out the Telluride and Pilot!

Comment

We had an Acura MDX for ten years or so, when the kids were young. It was a very durable, comfortable car, drove well, fit up to eight people and even six on a 14-hour road trip (though I do not recommend this!).

Comment

Originally posted by Kamban View Post
                        Honda Pilot or Acura MDX would fit the criteria of 3 rows. A Honda odyssey minivan would be more practical if you have small kids. And it is a true 8 seater.
                        Our Honda odyssey is my personal favorite car. My kids love riding in it too.

Comment

The 2022 MDX looks very nice/luxurious. Some of the advanced safety features require an additional tech package which I think is outside of our budget. Acura isn't the only company to price safety features in a bundled premium package. I wish this was not the case for the safety of all drivers on the road.

Comment

We have a Honda Odyssey and really like it. Before that we had a 2016 I think Toyota Highlander. The Highlander did get totaled but my wife walked away pretty much unscathed. She rear-ended a F450..maybe doing 50 mph or so. I don't know that a Forester is that much more unsafe than a Highlander or similar sized vehicle but if they want to gift it to you I wouldn't argue.

Comment

You can't beat a Honda. I would look at the Pilot or the Odyssey.

Comment

Working...
                              X