X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wideopenspaces
    Psychiatrist
    • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Kamban

If I were you I would only sell 50% of it to cover the original vest. I would leave the 50% gained to see how it rides in the future.
    I can't handle it!!!!! ;-)
    But he will vest more stock every 6 months moving forward so I *could* keep some of that. The problem is that we are getting so much stock in the next couple years that even if we only kept half of it, it would make up too big of a chunk of our overall portfolio and I'm not comfortable with that. If he leaves current employer in 2 years, we might keep 50-100k of the last portion that vests but only if it stresses me out less by then.

Comment

• Tom Kazansky
      • Dec 2017

Originally posted by wideopenspaces

I can't handle it!!!!! ;-)
      But he will vest more stock every 6 months moving forward so I *could* keep some of that. The problem is that we are getting so much stock in the next couple years that even if we only kept half of it, it would make up too big of a chunk of our overall portfolio and I'm not comfortable with that. If he leaves current employer in 2 years, we might keep 50-100k of the last portion that vests but only if it stresses me out less by then.

RSUs?

Comment

• Max Power
        • Mar 2020

Indexing is not nearly as bad as it once was... the ER fees are much more reasonable than the dreaded mutual fund fees, minimums, etc or the early ETFs with much higher ERs... kinda like the nasty 1-3+ percent robbery way most 401ks still are functioning, lol. Modern DIY index low ER funds like VTI and VOO and IVV and ITOT in the cash accounts or IRAs are the fine option for the masses who "never liked stocks" or "don't have time" or don't have the stomach for it, though.

Likewise, trading also got a ton better with lower cost and now free trades on stocks, options, funds, etc. It has gotten tremendously more profitable for me and others who do it (like to trade but not doing huge quantities... so those $6-$12 trade fees really did become problematic).

...I still see indexing as accepting the average IQ, average income, average BMI, etc and taking that as your own. It is a fine choice... you could do worse, but it is just not too difficult to do better. I do indexing with a portion of my portfolio... although for my "indexing," I mostly sell weekly or monthly calls on SPY. The index funds popular here on this forum are fine but mostly mutual funds with no action available or index ETFs with snail volume for selling calls.

In the end, with the individual stocks, it depends on personality type. Most people can't help but tinker. We are a puny and fickle folk. They make a choice and then over-analyze it, don't buy it, maybe change it, change again. They can't take the volatility and just give up and eternally refer to it as "gambling." Pro and novice traders and funds eat them for lunch since it's a zero sum game. They should just index. Trading and picking is a confidence thing as much as a logic thing. They marry their stocks or funds and hold onto losers or ride winners up-up and then back down to a lower price. They apply analysis and logic and then freak out or have a tantrum when what happened last year or last quarter or what "should" happen doesn't. A lot of the best traders (and entrepreneurs) have above average - not elite - smarts... they just have elite cojones. Again, not for most folks.
        Last edited by Max Power; 12-10-2020, 11:05 AM.

Comment

• PedsCCM
          • Jul 2019

How do you get rid of individual stocks if you pick winners? I used a small bit of my portfolio to buy Delta, Southwest, Boeing and Airbus in April, May and June when the overall stock market was recovering but the airlines were lagging behind. I got lucky and they went up. But now what? These are all in a taxable account. I suppose I can flush them as a part of my normal charitable giving, but how else do you deal with winners if you're not at all confident that the trend will continue for 20+ more years?

Comment

• Max Power
            • Mar 2020

My husband's amazon stock vests in 6 days and I've literally been counting it down for months. I hate it, even if it's doubled since he got it. We will immediately sell, pay taxes, and invest the rest in index funds in our taxable account. Individual stocks are not for me. Too anxiety provoking. I don't know how people sleep at night investing in single stocks!
            Sleep well. Looks like it's not your problem to worry about?

Comment

• Max Power
              • Mar 2020

Originally posted by PedsCCM
              How do you get rid of individual stocks if you pick winners? I used a small bit of my portfolio to buy Delta, Southwest, Boeing and Airbus in April, May and June when the overall stock market was recovering but the airlines were lagging behind. I got lucky and they went up. But now what? These are all in a taxable account. I suppose I can flush them as a part of my normal charitable giving, but how else do you deal with winners if you're not at all confident that the trend will continue for 20+ more years?
              You sell when you like the profit and/or have potential from better buys on your watchlist than present holdings.

Never focus on the taxes. You want 50% gains with 50% taxes over 5% gains with 5% taxes.

Make money first and foremost. Let the accountant sort it out later. Tip him well.

Comment

• Random1
                • Jul 2020

I would wait if you can to make the gains a long term capital gain vs short term at least for tax purposes.

Comment

• wideopenspaces
                  Psychiatrist
                  • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Max Power
                  Hahaha I do all the investment/saving/spending decision making in the house! Of course I talk it over with him but I'm pretty sure all he hears is "blah, blah, blah."

Comment

• wideopenspaces
                    Psychiatrist
                    • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Tom Kazansky

RSUs?
                    Yeppers. We're just now getting to the time period where the amount of shares and vesting frequency increases significantly and. . . I don't like it. We just never planned to have individual stock so I'm still kinda trying to figure out how to handle it. I don't want 500k of a 1M portfolio in 1 stock!

Comment

• jacoavlu
                      • Mar 2018

Originally posted by Max Power
                      can I unlike a post? I realize by quoting this maybe I’m not helping. But, wtf is your point?

Comment

• Tom Kazansky
                        • Dec 2017

Yeppers. We're just now getting to the time period where the amount of shares and vesting frequency increases significantly and. . . I don't like it. We just never planned to have individual stock so I'm still kinda trying to figure out how to handle it. I don't want 500k of a 1M portfolio in 1 stock!
                        What I've found most helpful with RSUs has been to ask myself if the amount that vested was in cash instead of stock, would I buy the same amount of company shares?

Comment

• xraygoggles
                          Physician
                          • Oct 2018

If I were you, I would hold for one year to get LTCG, then sell if you don't think they can keep growing after this recovery.
                          Or, you can also sell now, take the STCG hit and be happy you were lucky/skillful. But I would only do that if I really needed the $ for a large purchase, or I had a better investment opportunity with potentially higher return than the tax hit difference (STCG v LTCG).

Comment

• Balance1969
                            Attorney
                            • Jun 2020

Agree with xraygoggles and Random1. Hold for a year to minimize LTCG.

As an aside, I think odds are they will continue to improve with the vaccine and lotsa peeps aching to travel for relief from cabin fever. Last time I checked (recently), some air travel related stocks were still halfway from where they were before the virus. Keep in mind, this is speculation and I have as much of an idea as a dancing monkey as to where anything is actually going to go.

Comment

• Turf Doc
                              Med Student
                              • Jan 2020

Max Power, how is it easy to beat the index? All data shows it's insanely difficult to do over a long enough time horizon. Can you point to me some people who have done that on average over 30 years? And if not, how could you expect Dr. Joe Schmo to do it?

Comment

• EntrepreneurMD
                                Banned
                                • Jun 2019

Grace Groner, who was not a financial professional is a good example. We've discussed her on this site before. Outperformed index with stock. Time frame is well over 30 years.

Comment

Working...