Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coffee snobs -- pour over vs Mochamaster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffee snobs -- pour over vs Mochamaster?

I'm debating this year between a Chemex pour over system or the Mochamaster that several people recommended on the last coffee thread. What do you all recommend? What do you like about your coffee routine?

- I'm the only coffee drinker in my house.
    - I'm typically up at least a hour before my family. I like the idea of the morning ritual of pour over, but there are always those mornings that are rushed. What do pour-over people do on those days?
    - I'm also looking at the Chemex machine. Has anyone tried that?

Thanks in advance.

i use a simple like hario or wave for pour over but honestly i use it like 1x/mo. never got into chemex.

honestly, they are different devices. so its just if you want to take the time.

cant hurt to have a few options: pour over, automatic, french, aero, moka.......

Comment

This won't be very popular by most...Maxwell House instant at 7 cents a cup...it is an acquired taste...simple...easy...less caffeine per serving...what's not to like...

Comment

Originally posted by Bev View Post
        This won't be very popular by most...Maxwell House instant at 7 cents a cup...it is an acquired taste...simple...easy...less caffeine per serving...what's not to like...
        be gone heathen!

Comment

I got the moccamaster after I did something dumb and ruined my prior coffeemaker. Also have a pour over setup/French press/moka pot but the moccamaster is faster/easier/less hassle. It’s a great machine and not absurdly expensive.

Comment

All I can say is that I love my Moccamaster! I would not have the patiences to do pour over but I want good coffee.

Comment

Aeropress. Game changer.

Comment

To be clear, I'm unfamiliar with mochamaster. Pour over doesn't take that long (5 min active, at most), and I've been doing it holding a baby, a lot recently.

I have a kalita wave 185, I only make 1-2 cups at a time, since I've been trying to drink less caffeine.

Comment

Originally posted by Bev View Post
                  I am only one step better with foldgers k cups.

Comment

Folgers and Mr. Coffee.
                    i think Starbucks was in shock the one time I had to order there. One coffee, Black.
                    It seemed like a really strange special order. Do we have that? What was the tip jar for? Just pour it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                      Folgers and Mr. Coffee.
                      i think Starbucks was in shock the one time I had to order there. One coffee, Black.
                      It seemed like a really strange special order. Do we have that? What was the tip jar for? Just pour it.
                      Yeah my wife yells at me for ordering boring coffee. I can count on one hand the amount of times I have been to a Starbucks.

I do love a good cup of coffee and it is something I could get into when I have more time. Check back in 5-10 years.

Comment

I bought a Chemex a few years ago and there is no looking back. It takes a lot of the harshness out of the coffee which is great for me (GERD). I enjoy the low tech nature of it as well. I picked up several hundred of the Chemex filters and even with an extended power/gas outage, I can still make delicious coffee if I can boil water. Give it a shot! You will not regret it.

Comment

danesgod TXDoc21
                          If I do pour over, I assume I would have to buy one of the kettles with a small opening for pour control?

Comment

Used to drink 2-3 cups of coffee a day. As of 2 years I now I drink nothing all day. My cognition hasn't changed. I pee less, but surprisingly not by much.

Comment

I do pour over with digital kettles. From experience, the Oxo Adjustable Temperature kettle and Fellow Stagg EKG are my favorite. The Mocamaster and Chemex brew too much coffee for one person. Based strictly on taste, a low tech method is the Abid dripper which is a combination of French press immersion and can be used as a pour over as well. For 1-2 person pour over, a smaller device like the Kinto Slow Coffee dripper is more suitable.

Comment

Working...
                              X