Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recommend calling Wade Blasingame

Comment

Dog lover of the top magnitude here but I would certainly carry pepper spray and, if needed, bear spray, if legal. As much as I might want to apply it to the owner, it would go right in the face of the dog chasing me (the 2nd time - the 1st time, I wouldn’t be prepared.) Spraying the owner might get you in jail. Protecting yourself from an off-leash, uncontrolled animal in a park that posts the rules is different. And the dog might learn to not approach me in the future (if the owner is stupid enough to continue to walk there). I’m mean enough that I would be fully prepared for the opportunity the 2nd time, just to teach a lesson and protect others. Much easier - and safer - than waiting for animal control..”just leave us alone”, my arse. Good grief.

Honestly, I thought I had a sweet Aussie until an employee’s daughter leaned down into his face while he was laying down with a treat and he nipped her. I learned his nature then - don’t invade his space if he doesn’t know you. He’s still a sweetheart - if he knows you - but I am very careful in public and always warn people who come up to pet him. Know your dog and act accordingly. A dog is an animal, not a child you can punish by banishing for a few hours. A dog - or any pet - is the owner’s responsibility for life.
      Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

I would have reacted the same. Those idiot owners don't know that I could have a severe allergy. Or some chocolate coated macadamia nuts, grapes, etc... Or a jagged screwdriver. If they don't care about others, are they sure I care about them or their pets?

​​​Ask them, if they care for their dogs so much, would they let a child of theirs go running behind strangers untethered?

Better yet don't ask them. Keep spray or a siren / air horn on you.
        $1 saved = >$1 earned. ✓

Comment

Originally posted by SLC OB View Post
          As an owner of a German Shepherd, who is well trained with voice control, will heal next to me while other dogs are pulling on their lease to get to her, always "off lease" but has an electric collar on that I can use, I would be mortified if my dog ran after you once let alone multiple times. Very irresponsible of the owner. Sorry you are dealing with this.
          SLC OB , which electric collar did you get? I have a 8 month GSD and we currently use a regular collar as well as a pinch collar depending on what we do. I am thinking of getting an electric one just to prevent unwanted behaviour early on, before it gets established.

As they say, an ounce of prevention ....

Comment

Originally posted by Kamban View Post

SLC OB , which electric collar did you get?
            I’m not SLC OB, but we use the “mini Educator ET-300” for our rescued adult pitbull based on our behavior trainer’s recommendation. Works well, and transmitter works up to a 1/2 mile.

Comment

SLC OB , which electric collar did you get? I have a 8 month GSD and we currently use a regular collar as well as a pinch collar depending on what we do. I am thinking of getting an electric one just to prevent unwanted behaviour early on, before it gets established.

My GSD did not become aggressive until he was 2 yo. The more training and socialization your dog receives while young the better.
              Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried (many) bags for a lovely and gracious 59 yo Cyd Charisse. (RIP) Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

Comment

I use a tri-tronics, as that was recommended when our pup went off to boarding school. The problem is that when it isn't on him, he is suddenly deaf and blind.

Comment

Kamban We've had a few... this one:
                  https://www.amazon.com/SportDOG-Bran.../dp/B00BIUAYA2
                  And a different one (maybe a $40 one from Amazon).
                  Both seem to work similar and if I hadn't lost the remote for the first one, bought the second and then found the remote, I would have been fine with the cheaper one.
                  Just make sure you have the beep options... use the beep like "this is your warning" then zap if they are not doing what you want. They will then figure out if you call, they don't come, one beep and they come running! Rarely, I will also call and if no response, then zap. Makes them be more responsive.
                  @G Only time mines is deaf/blind is without collar and a beer in the yard! . She will tree them and stand there barking. I have to walk out and grab her collar to get her to come back in. That is when I hope they are not cubs with a Momma Bear nearby.

Comment

“Only time mines is deaf/blind is without collar and a beer in the yard!”

Would you please post a picture?

Comment

Another vote for pepper or bear spray.

Comment

Working...
                      X