Daylight savings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shant View Post

The only state norther of me is Alaska. But you are right that the desirability is local. Here daylight savings will mean getting some daylight instead of zero. Going to work and leaving work in the dark is a special state of misery.
    The only way to fix this is to get to FI and say your working hours will be 10-3 at most

Comment

• I thought you were going to tell me to move to Florida...

Comment

• I'd be happy if people would call it by it's correct name, which is daylight SAVING time. No "s." I'd also be happy to stay on DST year round, even though I live in Minnesota and the sun would rise after 8am in December, to me it's worth it for light in the evening in December. Sunrise on December 20th is currently 7:47am, 8:47 isn't going to make any difference to me or my kids. We're still going to school in the dark.

Comment

• Originally posted by JB14 View Post
          I'd be happy if people would call it by it's correct name, which is daylight SAVING time. No "s." I'd also be happy to stay on DST year round, even though I live in Minnesota and the sun would rise after 8am in December, to me it's worth it for light in the evening in December. Sunrise on December 20th is currently 7:47am, 8:47 isn't going to make any difference to me or my kids. We're still going to school in the dark.
          It's a pretty stupid name either way..

Comment

• Originally posted by JB14 View Post
            I'd be happy if people would call it by it's correct name, which is daylight SAVING time. No "s." I'd also be happy to stay on DST year round, even though I live in Minnesota and the sun would rise after 8am in December, to me it's worth it for light in the evening in December. Sunrise on December 20th is currently 7:47am, 8:47 isn't going to make any difference to me or my kids. We're still going to school in the dark.
            i'm sure this won't change your mind but we're not talking about after-8am sunrises. We're talking after-9am sunrises november through February. FWIW sleep health experts would rather we keep standard time year-round. The reason is it aligns better with our body sleep rhythm.

Comment

• Originally posted by JBME View Post

i'm sure this won't change your mind but we're not talking about after-8am sunrises. We're talking after-9am sunrises november through February. FWIW sleep health experts would rather we keep standard time year-round. The reason is it aligns better with our body sleep rhythm.
              this won’t happen in very many places outside of Alaska. Our latest sunrise in MInneapolis would be 8:47 if we stayed on DST year round.

Comment

• Latest would be 8:51 and it would be later than 830 from around November 28 to February 4.

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/usa/...h=11&year=2021

Comment

• Latest here 8:54. People forget is not just a function of latitude but also where you are located (how far east or west) within your particular time zone.

Anyway it passed the Senate, though not with any intentionality.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...vote-accident/

Comment

• Originally posted by FIREshrink View Post
                    Latest here 8:54. People forget is not just a function of latitude but also where you are located (how far east or west) within your particular time zone.

Anyway it passed the Senate, though not with any intentionality.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...vote-accident/
                    This is a no win debate. Time zones are based on the sun.
                    Globally, latitude would need to be the basis of adjustment. A graph is needed. GPS calculates what time it is based on longitude and latitude. No such thing as a one hour adjustment. Why have a standard? Everyone wants their own. Easy.
                    The world revolves upon me and the sun.
                    Sarcastic of course, but it’s based upon science and human nature. Too bad it wouldn’t work. This seems to follow popular problem solving methods.

Comment

• I voted "I like DST" and I'm in favor of it becoming permanent -- no more changing the clocks after next year's spring forward if legislation passes!

Comment

• I don't care whether it's DST or standard time, just dislike changing clocks twice per year. This is especially painful with young kids, who have no concept of what this means and will still wake up at the same time. If legislators can't agree whether it's DST or standard time, they should just flip a coin. Anything is better than changing clocks twice yearly.

Comment

• Originally posted by L View Post
                          I don't care whether it's DST or standard time, just dislike changing clocks twice per year. This is especially painful with young kids, who have no concept of what this means and will still wake up at the same time. If legislators can't agree whether it's DST or standard time, they should just flip a coin. Anything is better than changing clocks twice yearly.
                          Agreed. It always feels like the rug is being pulled out from under me when the time changes, kids or no kids. I am hopeful this will be the year we finally get rid of this nonsense that costs us a bunch of money and literally kills people for no reason.

https://www.inc.com/jessica-stillman...asily-fix.html

Comment

• I guess permanent standard Time would be better than changing twice a year. But not by much in my opinion. I really do enjoy the late Summer nights and there's little point to having the sun come up at 4:30 in the morning. I can and probably would adjust my work schedule an hour earlier if this was the case but unfortunately I have no control over kids activities and school. And the rest of society that follows "business hours"

Comment

Working...
                            X