Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kamban
    • Aug 2016

Originally posted by Lordosis

I could care less about that. But I hate heading home and it is already dark. It is nice to be able to go outside after dinner. For a couple of months it is light enough for me to get something done outside after I get the kids to bed.
    For me it is more about having sunlight when I work in the office. I have large windows next to my desk and between 10Am-2PM there is bright sunshine streaming into the room. There is nothing better to lift your spirits than to have warm sunshine on your back when you sit/stand next to the windows.

Today it is a balmy 74F outside with a projected high of 77F. A beautiful stroll in our back parking lot soaking up the hot sunshine. Glad I am not in MN or Alaska.

Comment

• Lordosis
      Family Physician
      • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Lithium

I still enjoy my bike ride in the dark at 35 degrees (usually closer to 40), but I’m not picking up the kids. Just the hour of podcast time is worth it.
      That is great you can still do it! I am jealous. I am resigned to just ride here and there until I can pick it up consistently again in the spring.

I actually have to pay attention to my workouts so I cannot listen to something else. So I am taking a big hit on audio time.

Comment

• Lordosis
        Family Physician
        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Kamban

For me it is more about having sunlight when I work in the office. I have large windows next to my desk and between 10Am-2PM there is bright sunshine streaming into the room. There is nothing better to lift your spirits than to have warm sunshine on your back when you sit/stand next to the windows.

Today it is a balmy 74F outside with a projected high of 77F. A beautiful stroll in our back parking lot soaking up the hot sunshine. Glad I am not in MN or Alaska.
        I have a tiny window that gets afternoon light. But my office is right next to the side emergency exit and I but outside for a breather whenever I get a hot minute!

Comment

• childay
          Physician
          • Jan 2016

Originally posted by TheDangerZone

Yeah, it’s interesting. I thought about this post as I drove in for surgery this morning with the sun coming up and how it put me in a good mood feeling energized for the day ahead. I don’t do much outdoors at night after dinner or after the kids are in bed. Different strokes I guess.

Are you a morning person at baseline? I’m not and any little boost helps.
          I'm with you. Not a morning person

Comment

• jfoxcpacfp
            • Jan 2016

It sounds like some of you should move to Arizona or Hawaii. Or do what my contrary son and his family do and pretend it's DST all year round.
            My passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors 270-247-6087 to schedule CPA and Financial Planning initial introductions for Fox CPA and Wrenne Financial Planning, my affiliate firm. We charge Flat Fees for both CPA & Fee-Only Financial Planning.

Comment

• Lordosis
              Family Physician
              • Feb 2019

Originally posted by jfoxcpacfp
              It sounds like some of you should move to Arizona or Hawaii. Or do what my contrary son and his family do and pretend it's DST all year round.
              You can pretend anything you want but if you work "business hours" or have kids in school that is what sets your time.

I could wake up at 2 am and go to bed at 6 pm and pretend it was light out way into the evening but I have to function in society and no one is going to want to come see me in the office at 3am.

Comment

• StarTrekDoc
                • Jan 2017

Some like Standard time a lot more to allow for daylight in the mornings with kids drop off and going to school -- makes sense with the K-6 families.

I think most others prefer some time after regular work hours.

My solar production during peak hours takes a huge hit with standard time

Comment

• jfoxcpacfp
                  • Jan 2016

You can pretend anything you want but if you work "business hours" or have kids in school that is what sets your time.

I could wake up at 2 am and go to bed at 6 pm and pretend it was light out way into the evening but I have to function in society and no one is going to want to come see me in the office at 3am.
                  Somehow they have made it work for 6 yrs and they have kids now ages 3 - 14. Posted on their FB pg:
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	AF558E13-EF8A-414E-A714-16F641A9B946.jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.8 KB ID:	301864
                  My passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors 270-247-6087 to schedule CPA and Financial Planning initial introductions for Fox CPA and Wrenne Financial Planning, my affiliate firm. We charge Flat Fees for both CPA & Fee-Only Financial Planning.

Comment

• artemis
                    Physician (Pathologist)
                    • Dec 2016

What scares me is that there are people out there who honestly believe that switching back and forth from DST and ST changes the actual amount of daylight (rather than just when that daylight falls with regards to our clock).

Comment

• Lordosis
                      Family Physician
                      • Feb 2019

Originally posted by artemis
                      What scares me is that there are people out there who honestly believe that switching back and forth from DST and ST changes the actual amount of daylight (rather than just when that daylight falls with regards to our clock).
                      Do they correlate with people who think unicorns are extinct?

Comment

• artemis
                        Physician (Pathologist)
                        • Dec 2016

Do they correlate with people who think unicorns are extinct?
                        Good question. I think it probably correlated better who people who think the Sun moves around the Earth. It's amazing how little astronomy (or science in general) even the average person knows. When it comes to the below average...

Comment

• FIREshrink
                          • Jan 2017

Originally posted by JB14
                          I just wish people would call it by its correct name. It's Daylight SAVING Time, not Savings. I also hate it when people call it Aldi's, Meijer's, Fred Meyer's, Barnes and Noble's, etc.
                          Is Freddy's any better for you?

Comment

• TheDangerZone
                            Physician
                            • Dec 2018

Originally posted by FIREshrink

Is Freddy's any better for you?
                            I really enjoy when my physician friends ask me my opinion on Lasiks.

Comment

• Kamban
                              • Aug 2016

Originally posted by TheDangerZone

I really enjoy when my physician friends ask me my opinion on Lasiks.
                              Just let them know that it will make them pee a lot.

Just kidding, I know you mean the eyes.

As as aside, we now have pharmaceutical and trade names that have no correlation to the drug and are unpronounceable in many cases. But Hoechst marketed this loop diuretic as Lasix - an abbreviated form of Lasts Six hours. Pure genius.

It is called furosemide (generic pharm name) in USA but in the rest of the world it is frusemide.

Comment

• StarTrekDoc
                                • Jan 2017

Lyme's disease

Comment

Working...