No announcement yet.

Daylight savings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I live in Arizona, what is this “daylight savings time” that you’re all talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by Tim

Not to hijack the thread, my spouse always keeps her stuff about 10–15 minutes ahead. Never understood and sometimes it throws me off. Anyone keep clocks ahead?
      Yep I've been doing that since college and never changed.

Comment

Originally posted by Bmac View Post
        Well, as a counterpoint, I really would prefer not to have sunrise at nearly 9 am in late December, for a variety of reasons. And it is pretty awesome having sunset at nearly 9:30 pm in the summer. But I guess if I had to choose, I’d stay in standard time rather than DST year round (in PNW).
        You could always do what my non-conformist son and his family does - just live in DST all year long and never change your clocks. We have to do a little bit of mental math when coordinating schedules but it seems to suit them quite well.
        Working to protect good doctors from bad advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

It's nice if you have an overnight shift and you leap forward on that night. Stinks if it's the other way.

Comment

I have a complete reversal. I now look forward to the skip ahead weekend. It means a week of the kids "sleeping in"

Comment

Originally posted by burritos View Post
              It's nice if you have an overnight shift and you leap forward on that night. Stinks if it's the other way.
              When I made the junior call schedule in residency I made sure I was on for the “spring forward” weekend and off for the “fall back” one.

Comment

Daylight savings time all year would be better. Apparently, if we had year round DST, there would be more people getting out and exercising, possibly leading to better health, and more people shopping, eating out etc, leading to improvements in the economy.

Comment

Time is just a flat circle.

I don't really care either way. It did come into play when I was on an overnight shift as a radiology resident on Halloween, which was coupled with Epic downtime (which was a blessing in disguise). 14 hour shift becomes a 15 hour shift in a city that likes to party... never a good thing. The epic downtime meant that clinicians had to fill out paper orders for imaging, which many of the interns didn't know how to do.

Comment

Originally posted by jfoxcpacfp View Post
                    DST was created when we were highly weighted toward an agrarian model, right?
                    DST was started in the early 1900s, a time when more people worked in agriculture but it was started in cities. Ostensibly to decrease energy utilization by artificial lighting in the evening. It went mainstream during WW1 in Germany and Austria as part of measures to conserve war resources. Farmers have generally been against DST because their day is set by the sun and animals regardless of what the clock says so why confuse things.

As a gardener, I always liked it as it gave me more time in the yard after work. Not a morning person particularly and even if I were I wouldn't have seen myself out doing yard work at 5 am before going to work. On the prairies it was crazy to have the sun coming up at 4 am without DST. Now that I am retired, it's less of an issue. Personally, I'm with JBME - let's have DST year round. Our provincial government has approved this change but it is contingent on neighboring jurisdictions (Quebec and NY) also making the change.

Oh and as an obstetrician, I always seemed to get that 'fall back' shift. Just like twins born in separate years, having a second twin being born 'earlier' than the first was always a cool goal. Much less disruptive than separate years, which was never the goal of any sane person.

Comment

For AZ if I remember correctly the Navajo nation doesn’t observe DST so it’s really hard to understand what time it is if you live in northeast Arizona! Fortunately few people do

Comment

Daylight Saving Time is a bit more interesting than I would have thought. Potential effects on energy usage, consumption, crime, accidents, and health have been studied. Results cut both ways. Depends on where your policy priorities are.

Comment

Originally posted by burritos View Post
                          I had the pleasure of working over night on fall back night this year. There's few things more demoralizing than being in the ED and going to see a patient at 1:59am and when you come back it's 1:03am.

Comment

My dogs do not understand time changes

Comment

Originally posted by Hatton View Post
                              My dogs do not understand time changes
                              Yep, Beau knows when it’s time for dinner, [email protected] what the stove clock says..
                              Working to protect good doctors from bad advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Working...
                              X