Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations on a home rowing machine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations on a home rowing machine?

Hey WCI,

I am a huge fan of rowing. I've never been competitive or anything like that, but used the rowing machine at the gym regularly and love kayaking.

My gym is now closed due to COVID, and I have not been doing much exercising anymore either. I have been thinking of getting a home rowing machine. They look to be around 1-2k, and some of the connected ones also have monthly membership fees. Anyone have any of these like the ergatta, hydrow, or Nordic track connected machines or just a regular ol rower?

The main reason I'm considering getting a connected one is just that I am hoping it would motivate me to do more, but ofc there is the additional monthly cost to consider. similar to getting a Peloton, I just much prefer rowing to biking.
    DMD '21. Perio '24.

I have this one (link below), currently $225 on amazon. The most important thing is having the discipline to use it often. Bells and whistles...that's your choice.

https://www.amazon.com/Sunny-Health-...&ts_id=3407791

Comment

Concept2. No question, full stop.

There are plenty of online motivation/challenges that are free. For example, there is a holiday challenge 26 Nov-24 Dec where you row to raise dollars for charity.

In the past, Rogue has had a black friday deal, but I seem to remember seeing something about not doing it this year. If there is an indoor regatta near you--doubtful, right?--they will sell them for cheap as a fundraiser.

I put around 500-750k/yr on mine, a combo of relaxed/sprint/torture/mellow/goal. It is fun seeing the meters rack up.

Comment

I'm not a rower but r/homegym loves the Concept2 rower.

Comment

Originally posted by RocketBooster View Post
          I have this one (link below), currently $225 on amazon. The most important thing is having the discipline to use it often. Bells and whistles...that's your choice.

https://www.amazon.com/Sunny-Health-...&ts_id=3407791
          Hey I got the same one! Cheap but does the trick. I have had it for a few years. I used it consistently for a few months then nothing for months on and off. Great workout but trying to get it into the daily groove is hard. I refuse to wake up any earlier baby up at 5 and last kid is asleep by 930ish and by then I am beat. But it is waiting for things to settle down and free time to flow my way again.

Moral of the story: don't spend a lot of money unless you are really sure you will use it.

Comment

Originally posted by G View Post
            Concept2. No question, full stop.
            +1

Comment

I'm jealous. I wish I had room for a rower.

Comment

I have not been back to the gym since this Covid stuff began. I’ve been able to bring most of my workout routine home, but the machine I absolutely miss the most is the Concept2 rower.

Comment

Did a search on the concept 2 rower. Now it's plastered over my yahoo homepage.

Comment

Originally posted by burritos View Post
                    I'm jealous. I wish I had room for a rower.
                    can stand up against or hang from wall when not in use.

Comment

I just forced my wife to buy me the ergatta for Christmas for the exact reasons you mentioned. I need something to motivate me and to give me some more interest with a game or an instructor class. I can't do the mind numbing elliptical anymore. And the style of the ergatta is too much to handle. And you can get a referral bonus in the form of 3 free months of subscription. let me know if you want mine.

Comment

Originally posted by HandFellow View Post
                        I just forced my wife to buy me the ergatta for Christmas for the exact reasons you mentioned. I need something to motivate me and to give me some more interest with a game or an instructor class. I can't do the mind numbing elliptical anymore. And the style of the ergatta is too much to handle. And you can get a referral bonus in the form of 3 free months of subscription. let me know if you want mine.
                        wait so did you not like the ergatta or you do like it? or are you saying I can have your referral code.
                        DMD '21. Perio '24.

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post
                          I'm not a rower but r/homegym loves the Concept2 rower.
                          Is it not out of stock now and the basic $700 machine is now being sold for $1599 by people wanting to make a quirk buck. Even the maker has upped the price and asked people to be on wait list.

Took a leaf out of the Peleton bike sale who doubled prices in order to light the fire of ganbusting sales.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamban View Post

Is it not out of stock now and the basic $700 machine is now being sold for $1599 by people wanting to make a quirk buck. Even the maker has upped the price and asked people to be on wait list.

Took a leaf out of the Peleton bike sale who doubled prices in order to light the fire of ganbusting sales.
                            I'm not sure since I haven't been trying to find one but that doesn't surprise me. Putting together some decent weightlifting equipment has been pretty difficult and I've had to stay on top of it to catch equipment drops. Unfortunately, there are A LOT of resellers currently in the fitness equipment arena.

Comment

Originally posted by jacoavlu View Post

can stand up against or hang from wall when not in use.
                              Yeah I have a 400 sq foot apartment. I am still sure I can fit in a rower as its not filled with furniture - only 1 sofa and a plastic foldable table in there. You can push up most rowers so its not a huge deal.

Now that I looked it up, my gym had a Concept2 that I used to use so they are good machines that I am used to.
                              DMD '21. Perio '24.

Comment

Working...
                              X