Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone eat liver(beef)?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by pierre View Post

    https://grasslandbeef.com/beef-kidney

    I've got some sitting in my freezer waiting for me to eat it. I also recommend the liverwurst.
    They ship it to you with dried ice? I might have to try it. The video almost brought a tear to my eye. Maybe it was the music. Thanks.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by burritos View Post

      They ship it to you with dried ice? I might have to try it. Thanks.
      It comes in a styrofoam cooler with ice packs. Everything has always been frozen solid when I open it. Have to order a decent amount to make the $10 handling fee worth it.

      They also have 15% discount codes pretty fequently if you sign up for the newsletter. Various podcasts also have affiliate discounts such as ben greenfield
      ​​​

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by pierre View Post

        It comes in a styrofoam cooler with ice packs. Everything has always been frozen solid when I open it. Have to order a decent amount to make the $10 handling fee worth it.

        They also have 15% discount codes pretty fequently if you sign up for the newsletter. Various podcasts also have affiliate discounts such as ben greenfield
        ​​​
        I've heard of Ben Greenfield, though never listened to him unless he was a guest on Carni code. Have you tried adrenal glands? If you google cooking it, there are no hits.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by burritos View Post

          I've heard of Ben Greenfield, though never listened to him unless he was a guest on Carni code. Have you tried adrenal glands? If you google cooking it, there are no hits.
          He's kinda hit or miss, but overall I like his podcast. Haven't tried adrenal glands yet. Since I don't cook enough organs I also take a dessicated beef organ supplement, but it doesn't have adrenal gland in it either.

          Comment


          • #35
            Does Pate could as liver? I like me some pate spread with well-pickled sweet peppers or pickels. I used to eat liver & onion as a kid, haven't done it since leaving home.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by pierre View Post

              It comes in a styrofoam cooler with ice packs. Everything has always been frozen solid when I open it. Have to order a decent amount to make the $10 handling fee worth it.

              They also have 15% discount codes pretty fequently if you sign up for the newsletter. Various podcasts also have affiliate discounts such as ben greenfield
              ​​​
              Thanks put in an order. Got some bison adrenals and beef kidneys. Also a bunch rib eyes and tri tips for the kids.

              Comment


              • #37
                We used to have liver yearly on my brother’s birthday, as he insisted that it was his favorite food. We kids all knew it wasn’t his favorite but he enjoyed watching us have to eat it. It wasn’t until we were adults that he finally admitted this. hmm..maybe I’ll ship him some for his birthday next month. As any good sister would....

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by pierre View Post

                  He's kinda hit or miss, but overall I like his podcast. Haven't tried adrenal glands yet. Since I don't cook enough organs I also take a dessicated beef organ supplement, but it doesn't have adrenal gland in it either.
                  Seems like both pierre and burritos have drunk the same kool aid/listened to the same podcasts/read the same blogs. In a nutshell, what is the reason you both believe eating organ meat is the key to a long life, along with intermittent fasting, and I'm guessing coconut oil and vinegar but minimal to no grains and dairy... Probably also going sledding without a t shirt, plus vigorous HIIT most days...

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by FIREshrink View Post

                    Seems like both pierre and burritos have drunk the same kool aid/listened to the same podcasts/read the same blogs. In a nutshell, what is the reason you both believe eating organ meat is the key to a long life, along with intermittent fasting, and I'm guessing coconut oil and vinegar but minimal to no grains and dairy... Probably also going sledding without a t shirt, plus vigorous HIIT most days...
                    I feel/perform the best when I do these things. And my body composition is better.

                    I eat a lot of dairy. No problem with coconut oil or apple cider vinegar, but they aren’t staples in my diet. I do like to sprint, but once every week or so is enough for me.

                    What is your idea of the optimal life regarding diet and exercise?

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by FIREshrink View Post

                      Seems like both pierre and burritos have drunk the same kool aid/listened to the same podcasts/read the same blogs. In a nutshell, what is the reason you both believe eating organ meat is the key to a long life, along with intermittent fasting, and I'm guessing coconut oil and vinegar but minimal to no grains and dairy... Probably also going sledding without a t shirt, plus vigorous HIIT most days...
                      Guilty as charged. Apologies for proselytizing. It annoys my wife and likely annoys the majority on the board. Though she's finally adding an insulin level on her next set of labs. . Yes it's fringe and challenges a lot of medical dogma, but calling it kool aid implies it's false and has no merit. I try curb promoting it, but it's like when a "born again" finds Jesus, or Allah, or whatever. I enjoy exercising the cognitive muscle. Being challenged by people smarter than me(most of the people here) I find refreshing. I don't do coconut oil(for the MCTs). I don't take metformin. I still eat grain and seed oil though I try to curb it(have a family). But yes I do fasting. I do eat organ meat regularly. Used to be vegetarian and juiced a lot of green stuff, but my midriff started to get a little bigger. Thanks to this board : https://forum.whitecoatinvestor.com/...hanged-my-life and my subsequent rabbit hole dive I'm back to high school weight and almost back to high school pull up max count. If I get increased longevity, great. But honestly, I'm just trying to square off the mortality curve.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by pierre View Post

                        I feel/perform the best when I do these things. And my body composition is better.

                        I eat a lot of dairy. No problem with coconut oil or apple cider vinegar, but they aren’t staples in my diet. I do like to sprint, but once every week or so is enough for me.

                        What is your idea of the optimal life regarding diet and exercise?
                        I think like most things nobody knows, but I’m willing to admit it and try not to be too dogmatic. The use of the term “kool aid” simply implies that a lot of the belief surpasses the data... kind of like a cult. We all have those Cross Fit friends, right?? That said:

                        I try to eat mostly salmon, herring, sardines, chicken, very little grain fed beef and lamb.
                        I eat lots of vegetables, preferably organic, home grown in the summer.
                        I am not afraid of grains but prefer whole grains: muesli is my current addiction. Rolled or steel cut oats. I also really like legumes/lentils. As an Asian American white rice is a staple but when I’m in a cutting phase, like now, I mostly stay away. I know I can gain weight more easily if I eat a lot of bread, pasta, rice. I don’t like potatoes at all.
                        I love nuts and eat tons of them, especially peanuts, almonds, and walnuts
                        I drink very little alcohol but not afraid of it.
                        We use tons of olive oil and a good amount of canola oil. Some butter but mostly in sweets so not much at all. I eat olives when I can sneak them past my family, who hates them.
                        I’m not a proponent of coconut oil. I also don’t like coconut that much, so it’s pretty easy to avoid.
                        I minimize sugars but my daughter bakes a lot which makes it harder.
                        I don’t think organ meats are a fountain of youth, nor do I think they’re particularly bad. I find it curious that folks are buying ground up liver extract and such, if there’s anything modern nutrition research tells us it’s that whole foods /= nutritional extracts
                        I simply don’t believe that vinegar in small quantities makes any difference at all. It doesn’t pass the smell test (ba da boom)
                        Probably my greatest weakness is dairy. I only drink filtered 2% milk but wonder if 2% grass milk would be better over all. I love ice cream but go long stretches without it. I love cheese. I like plain yogurt and low sugar Chobani.
                        I run and do sprints/HIIT as well as tempo runs and mile repeats. I lift heavy (Starting Strength) modified for a runner/hiker and being close to 50. I backpack and hike and ski and play soccer.
                        I haven’t found the proven benefits of cold exposure to be worth going nuts about, nor have I figured out how cold I need to be for how long, so I haven’t bothered. Every now and then I go running when it’s raining, does that count?

                        I don’t think any one of these things makes a huge difference. Added up they probably improve quality of life quite substantially. Looking at populations with longevity like 7th Day Adventists and Okinawans and so forth, eating lots of unprocessed whole foods and minimal sugars and red meat seem to be all they have in common. but their lifestyles are so different than ours. more walking, less computer use, different community structures, different genetics... it’s easy to overgeneralize.

                        i did read obesity code and some of Lifespan and i do enjoy reading nutritional research, but there is a lot of dogma and not nearly as much hard science. i enjoy learning from you and burritos and others but don’t want to quit having a shave ice next time I’m in Hawaii!

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          https://www.livescience.com/snakes-g...and-toads.html
                          We aren't snakes, orcas, lions, or wolves. But sometimes nature has wisdom that transcends an RCT?

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Somewhat of a tangent. Apparently Canadians butter getting harder, and it’s thought to be a result of the cows diet, specifically increased palmitic acid. Goes to show that what your food eats matters.

                            https://www.npr.org/2021/02/24/97101...of-hard-butter

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by pierre View Post
                              Somewhat of a tangent. Apparently Canadians butter getting harder, and it’s thought to be a result of the cows diet, specifically increased palmitic acid. Goes to show that what your food eats matters.

                              https://www.npr.org/2021/02/24/97101...of-hard-butter
                              Got my spleen and liver delivered today. Also got a bunch of steaks for the kids. Thanks for the head up.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X