My first big-time dental procedure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first big-time dental procedure

...Although maybe it doesn't qualify as a major procedure. I've had a few fillings, but now my baby tooth is giving out and it's due for extraction. I was originally entertaining the idea of just having it taken out, no implant, but everyone acted like I'm crazy and I've been convinced otherwise due to possibility of migration and changes in bite (although I wonder what is the likelihood). It's in the 2nd premolar position so barely affects my smile.

So I guess I'll be ponying up some cash. The OMFS told me they'll need to do a sinus lift because there's not enough bone for the implant to grab otherwise, using cadaver bone. Gross!

I know there are some dentists on the forum, just wondering if these charges seem reasonable, and what I might be in for, for the crown?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	949
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	235415

All that looks reasonable to me, maybe except for the PPE charge. I personally don't do that, but to each their own.

Keep in mind this is only half of the procedure though. Your general dentist will then restore the implant with an abutment and crown after the OMFS gives clearance, typically 4 months or so. So you'll have a charge for that as well.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see that you already knew about the crown. I'd expect about another $1500-$2k for that.

Comment

I just got a letter from my insurance yesterday warning me that I should not incur any PPE charges and if I do I should report the entity. I thought it very strange.

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post
        I just got a letter from my insurance yesterday warning me that I should not incur any PPE charges and if I do I should report the entity. I thought it very strange.
        So the insurance doesn't want to pay for PPE? So the charge will be passed onto the patient right?

Comment

OMS here. Looks like a good deal to me. So he’s doing the sinus graft for free (or he’s just charging $300 for the bone)? What a nice guy/gal! For comparison, at my office it would be $1900 for the implant, $200-350 for the extraction, $500 for the sinus graft, and $40 for an X-ray. And here I thought we had the least expensive dental implants around. Also, I don’t charge for PPE but I know some offices have started doing that due to the increased costs with Covid.

Comment

Maybe he's trying to make it less unpalatable since I was hedging on whether I wanted an implant at all. They had originally given me a quote without the sinus lift and then left it the same once it was known I'd need the lift, I think. His nurse when she contacted me said Dr. So and so was "kind enough to not charge you for that" which seems a little much to come from your own staff, but I appreciate it all the same.

Pulling the trigger..

Comment

You'll be glad you chose implant over other things.

I'd never have the balls to charge for PPE.

My staff will also mention if I don't no-charge a procedure that I generally would, though we don't charge for a lot of what we could and never mention that. Even assuming no extra material, that surgeon is gifting you his time and skill. More likely it is costing him/her some material and staff time that is effectively them transferring money from their pocket to yours.

Confession: If I'm trying to re-build some rapport with a difficult person, I might imply that I'm gifting a procedure that I wouldn't generally charge for. If somebody REALLY, REALLY pisses me off, I charge for all the codes. Shrug.
              Last edited by Molar Mechanic; 10-29-2020, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by legobikes View Post
                Maybe he's trying to make it less unpalatable since I was hedging on whether I wanted an implant at all. They had originally given me a quote without the sinus lift and then left it the same once it was known I'd need the lift, I think. His nurse when she contacted me said Dr. So and so was "kind enough to not charge you for that" which seems a little much to come from your own staff, but I appreciate it all the same.

Pulling the trigger..
                Hahaha yes, I could see that. We do have our staff let people know when we do stuff for free, but it’s better when done more tactfully than that.

Comment

Those fees are very reasonable. My fees are significantly higher for every code listed. The sinus procedure is likely a very minor “bump” based on the no fee and vertical approach. I would expect to pay a similar amount to get the implant restored as you did for the surgery.

You are making the right choice and I believe will be very happy you chose to fill the space with an implant.

Comment

Originally posted by legobikes View Post
                    ...Although maybe it doesn't qualify as a major procedure. I've had a few fillings, but now my baby tooth is giving out and it's due for extraction. I was originally entertaining the idea of just having it taken out, no implant, but everyone acted like I'm crazy and I've been convinced otherwise due to possibility of migration and changes in bite (although I wonder what is the likelihood). It's in the 2nd premolar position so barely affects my smile.

So I guess I'll be ponying up some cash. The OMFS told me they'll need to do a sinus lift because there's not enough bone for the implant to grab otherwise, using cadaver bone. Gross!

I know there are some dentists on the forum, just wondering if these charges seem reasonable, and what I might be in for, for the crown?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Clipboard01.jpg Views:	120 Size:	42.6 KB ID:	235415
                    Already had my extraction, thankfully no graft (seems gross, even though I've done it to others, lol). Its definitely the right thing to do. They will definitely migrate.

Have priced this in Cali and KY, and while KY is about a 1/3rd of the cost and very reasonable.

Your price however looks amazing, some parts look free.

Comment

Very good value assuming they're not in a kitchen or on a billboard advertising specials

Comment

Oral surgeon here. That's a heckuva deal. I charge around $2500 for an implant and $650 for a bone graft. $300 for a bone graft is pretty low when it can cost over $200 just to purchase the stuff, depending on what type of graft. This vertical sinus lift can often be done with Versah burs or Platelet Rich Fibrin (not PRP) which costs very little. I charge about $700 for that.
                        We charge a COVID/PPE fee of $20. But only for procedures, not for consultations and follow-ups, although we use most of the same PPE then.
                        I don't see sedation listed. You're gonna let someone drill a rod into your head under local?

Comment

Originally posted by toofy View Post
                          Oral surgeon here. That's a heckuva deal. I charge around $2500 for an implant and $650 for a bone graft. $300 for a bone graft is pretty low when it can cost over $200 just to purchase the stuff, depending on what type of graft. This vertical sinus lift can often be done with Versah burs or Platelet Rich Fibrin (not PRP) which costs very little. I charge about $700 for that.
                          We charge a COVID/PPE fee of $20. But only for procedures, not for consultations and follow-ups, although we use most of the same PPE then.
                          I don't see sedation listed. You're gonna let someone drill a rod into your head under local?
                          Interested in your comments about sedation? I’m sure you place way more implants than I do. And I do not do any sedation, so take that into account with my comments.
                          I do not find implant placement to be something I would generally recommend sedation for, unless you are fairly nervous/apprehensive. The sinus bump may not be super pleasant for a second, but otherwise everything is so precise and atraumatic. I am obviously not the one in the chair, but I find patients are very comfortable and are often surprised at how smooth of an appt it is.

Comment

Sounds like you are pretty comfortable with the procedure. I almost always get nitrous. Part because it is fun! The other part because I have dentist issues (when I was growing up, my dentist would decide to keep drilling when the novocaine wore off).

Comment

Originally posted by RDB View Post

Interested in your comments about sedation? I’m sure you place way more implants than I do. And I do not do any sedation, so take that into account with my comments.
                              I do not find implant placement to be something I would generally recommend sedation for, unless you are fairly nervous/apprehensive. The sinus bump may not be super pleasant for a second, but otherwise everything is so precise and atraumatic. I am obviously not the one in the chair, but I find patients are very comfortable and are often surprised at how smooth of an appt it is.
                              I think its entirely unnecessary, I mean its super easy to get the jaws numb, deeply for a long time. Anxiety, etc...could be an issue, but its def not a problem for the procedure side of things. Just did step one myself with a nasty extraction under local and it was downright pleasant.

Comment

Working...
                              X