Poll: How much did you / spouse spend on engagement ring?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ENT Doc
    Physician
    • Jan 2017

This poll needs to be controlled for diamond cost inflation and have $ bands, since most (disturbingly not all) could select the <$40k option.

Comment

• jbmitt
      Spouse
      • Jul 2017

Went the Tiffany route. The ring got bigger and more expensive because I waited too long. Something about the tastes of residents vs. attending physicians.

I realize I could have gotten more bling if I had not gone for the brand name. It’s what she wanted, I believe it when she says she won’t upgrade. I anticipate that eventually some lucky gentleman will get it passed down to give to our daughter.

Comment

• childay
        Physician
        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by ENT Doc
        This poll needs to be controlled for diamond cost inflation and have $ bands, since most (disturbingly not all) could select the <$40k option.
        Look bro this poll is very #science trust me

Comment

• HikingDO
          Physician
          • Mar 2017

$7000 25 years ago, wife loved it then and still does, so it was worth it.

Comment

• dennis
            • Apr 2019

$2,250 41 yrs ago. Resident at the time and was the most I could afford and still have some left over to go on a honeymoon. Wife still treasures it.

Comment

• Tangler
              • Aug 2018

7 k 10 years ago. Eloped and had no wedding cost. I was young attending.

Comment

• doctorbone
                • Apr 2020

15k and still married. This was before I found WCI and Bogleheads

Comment

• Tim
                  • Sep 2018

Originally posted by Tangler
                  7 k 10 years ago. Eloped and had no wedding cost. I was young attending.
                  In a financial forum, I really can’t pass up the chance for a snarky comment. I would not suggest a cost/benefit analysis, but at least plug in something for a marriage license and hidden maintenance costs.

36 years ago, they didn’t have internet. Took her to a shopping center jewelry store. Pick one out. Think we spent about $2-$3k. I picked out the stone upgrade 5 years later. Gave her a carrot wrapped up for Christmas. She didn’t get it. Been in the doghouse over 30 years for that one. The biggest problem was she really really didn’t want to leave her ring for the resetting the stone. The only time that ring comes off was child birth.

Long ago (prior to PETA), I got her a mink coat. NEVER been worn! Still in the closet. Weddings have costs. Some just don’t have benefits.

When BlueNile goes from $2.2-$35k for 1-1.5k, ego comes in. The latter is probably like my mink coat choice. Pretty ignorant. No one in Texas needs a mink coat, or a $35k stone.

Generational stuff here. The was a time that an engagement ring was a “need”, probably not getting married without it.
                  Curious how many “parents” don’t have an engagement ring.

Comment

• CM
                    • Jan 2017

A little less than $20,000 online. It's very pretty.
                    Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried (many) bags for a lovely and gracious 59 yo Cyd Charisse. (RIP) Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

Comment

• TheDangerZone
                      Physician
                      • Dec 2018

12k, I was a medical student. Put half of it on a zero interest payment plan and paid it off a few months after starting residency. She was worth it and I have no regrets. She is a minimalist and very thrifty, but she loves her ring.

She just told me yesterday she learned she could save 30 cents removing the tomato from her chick fil a grilled chicken sandwich. It made the sandwich soggy anyway.

Comment

• southerndoc
                        Emergency Physician
                        • Jul 2018

Originally posted by G

1) Sorry to hear about that--hope it works out for the best, whichever direction that is.
                        2) What does a 70k ring entail? Is it something that is worn all the time, such as when getting groceries or raking up leaves? Is it dangerous to walk home after a show?
                        She wears it all the time (except for chances where it will get damaged -- so no to raking leaves). The insurance for it is $900/year because our homeowner's insurance won't cover it. Large center stone Harry Winston micropave engagement ring.

Thanks to those that wished everything works out. It's a work in progress. We both have our issues.

Comment

• MoneyMoth
                          • Nov 2019

$39K and still married

I knew as I was purchasing it that it's silly to spend that much on an engagement ring but it does bring back fond memories of the shopping process, the proposal, etc every time I look at it. I hope and think it does for my (frugal) wife too. (As a joke, I also purchased a $32 CZ ring and actually proposed with it. It was only after she said yes that I told her I was kidding and had the real ring in my other hand. Turns out the joke is on me, she couldn't tell the difference in quality. Could've saved a bundle...)

I did split the charge amongst 5 credit cards (3 AA cards, 1 United card, 1 SPG card) to hit signup bonuses on all the cards for a ton of points to apply towards the honeymoon. I'm pretty sure the Tiffany's sales associate thought I was on the verge of bankruptcy upon whipping out so many cards.

In many ways, it also helped to put a very early stop to the thought of "keeping up with the Jones". I was shopping around on 5th Avenue feeling rather full of myself as a brand new attending with a budget of up to $50K to spend on an engagement ring. Obviously, the shopping experience and stores were quite swanky. I sat down at Harry Winston to look at a few rings when I overheard a young-looking couple behind me say "Oh that's rather plain looking. Do you have anything nicer and more expensive?" The ring they were considering was $200K.

Comment

$0. Family ring. She likes it. She’ll probably get a headlight when the house is paid off, but we’re >10y away from that.

Comment

• bean1970
                              Physician
                              • Jul 2017

$0 we got married while on vacation in vegas spontaneous decision . no engagement been married 23 years

Comment

Working...