Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll: How much did you / spouse spend on engagement ring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll: How much did you / spouse spend on engagement ring?

Should be interesting
    Anonymous
    Marriage is for suckers!
    6.41%
    <$100
    8.97%
    <$500
    2.56%
    <$1000
    7.69%
    <$2500
    8.97%
    <$5000
    24.36%
    <$10,000
    15.38%
    <$20,000
    17.95%
    <$40,000
    6.41%
    >$40,000 bling bling
    1.28%

0. engagement rings make no sense to us.

Comment

Originally posted by Peds View Post
      +1. We have them because we had some family rings.

And I bought a $12 ring for myself before an interview when I was moving because of "spouses job."

Comment

$1000 for the setting, for the first ring. My father’s sister, who was like a grandmother to me and a widow, gave me her ring for the diamond. We had it reset for my wife.

If I discuss the second ring/upgrade, years later, I will be shamed out of this community. I do not remember the exact price, but I am certain that it was not over $40k.

Comment

Originally posted by Peds View Post
          Same

Comment

I went all out (>$70k). Now teetering on filing for divorce, I realize how ridiculous that was to spend so much money on an engagement ring.

Comment

I would love to see a data plot cost of engagement ring vs age difference in couple.

Comment

$20 Amazon for my ring (vs the $350 same ring at the jeweler)

My recommendation would be to buy the diamond online. You can get that $20k in store ring for $10k. My wife's diamond was <$20k from online store while the same stone was $56k in the store. Such a scam.

Think we're gonna get man made for earrings.

Comment

How will anyone know it's from Tiffany's unless you tell them? That seems a little tacky.

And unless you give her the ring while your shopping at Costco, she will probably think of that experience, not the location you bought the ring

Comment

Originally posted by southerndoc View Post
                    I went all out (>$70k). Now teetering on filing for divorce, I realize how ridiculous that was to spend so much money on an engagement ring.
                    Oh my word - hope everything works out. Sorry to hear that.
                    Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

So I’m an old fogey. My 2nd (and current, for 25 yrs and until one of us kicks the bucket) engagement ring is very special. What he bought in 1995 for $12k is...quite valuable today. And I must admit it’s fun to get compliments on my “unusual” ring from strangers. Hubs got a bigger kick out of designing and buying a unique ring than I did - it was a matter of personal pride for him. He frequently asks if new acquaintances noticed my ring. I totally get it.

For the record, he’s 16 yrs older, a still-going-strong 79 y.o. workaholic (just got home and told me he spent the whole day on the tractor). He used to do a lot of business in NYC so we went to a trusted jeweler in the Diamond District to get it all worked out. I was a naive 35-y.o. and trusted him to handle it all - I was pretty intimidated. It’s a very special memory we still talk about.

I believe it’s not about the price but the whole once-in-a-lifetime experience. (Ok, twice for me, but my 1st husband’s father picked out the ring and it just wasn’t quite the same.)

Again, this perspective from a BOOMER, which I doubt many of you will relate to. But I bet some of your parents have interesting stories!
                      Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Originally posted by southerndoc View Post
                        1) Sorry to hear about that--hope it works out for the best, whichever direction that is.
                        2) What does a 70k ring entail? Is it something that is worn all the time, such as when getting groceries or raking up leaves? Is it dangerous to walk home after a show?

Comment

Spent $3k on my wife's engagement set. I've got a run of the mill cheap gold band from Costco. She hasn't ever mentioned upgrading and I've never brought it up. Besides, I think there's other things she would rather have than a fancier ring.

Comment

Another $0. Over the years have given her a few nice (and very reasonably priced) rings but didn't feel the need for an engagement ring. Or anything but inexpensive wedding bands. Far more practical uses for the money.

Comment

Originally posted by ACN View Post
                              $20 Amazon for my ring (vs the $350 same ring at the jeweler)

My recommendation would be to buy the diamond online. You can get that $20k in store ring for $10k. My wife's diamond was <$20k from online store while the same stone was $56k in the store. Such a scam.

Think we're gonna get man made for earrings.
                              My husband keeps telling me he wants me to make his ashes into a diamond. . . And then wear it ;-) It's the only thing I can think about when I hear "man made diamond"

Can't remember how much my husband spent, something like $1200? He was still in college and that was half his savings! I do love my ring and I wear that or a $50 gold band from Amazon to work. Patients make less creepy comments when they see a ring, for some reason.

Comment

Working...
                              X