Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone children of immigrants, or immigrant themselves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a third year resident I was "staffing" a Neurology Intern on an ED rotation - who had 6-7 years experience as an attending anesthesiologist in Pakistan prior to coming over!  I had nothing to add to his evaluation or skill set!

Comment

Father came to US from Taiwan in 1970 and we joined him in 1972. I was about 4 years old. He started out as a lab tech/phlebotomist since he could not practice his prior occupation which was dentistry. We all squeezed into a studio apartment in downtown Los Angeles. But he jumped into real estate and did very well. Despite amassing a large empire, he still lives very humbly.

My father-in-law also immigrated as well and retired as a computer analyst. He and his relatives invested in individual stocks and despite our concerns, they somehow did very well. But he also lives a very humble life.

Regarding guilt, it is more often when we take them out to fancy restaurants that they feel guilty and order the cheapest items. The "all you can eat" buffets are their favorites (agh those sticky floors!). We get a nice smile if we pull out a coupon or Groupon. Overall, since they grew up in periods of scarcity, they are most satisfied in quantity over quality and obtaining the best bargain.

As for myself, I have experienced living in poverty when we first came to the US to the other extreme of unlimited spending as a spoiled teenager.  But ultimately accumulating luxury items just means more clutter and things to ultimately throw away. When you have children of your own, there becomes new responsibilities and one of which is to set a good example. Thus, we try to not to spoil them which often equates to our limiting our purchases. With the children's extracurriculars there really is very little time to spend on luxuries anyway.

Comment

I immigrated from Italy when I was 18 to go to college here. Never looked back, best decision I have made in my life. I was lucky to get a full ride scholarship for undergrad in exchange for my artistic talent which the college badly needed at the time. It was a long and winding road to med school. My parents were low level clerks in Italy and I am always amazed at how  much they were able to give me and keep nothing for themselves. I gross in 2 weeks more than they made in one year combined. I am proud to call myself an American now. My colleagues at work all make fun of me because I am the dude going around with guns sticking out of my shirt driving a lifted truck (instead of singing opera while driving a Vespa...). I love this country and the fact that the American Dream still exists. Contrary to where I moved from, hard work is truly rewarded. Now that my parents are retired I have moved them here to be with us and enjoy what they never had access to before. Truly a dream come true for me.

Comment

I'm a child of immigrants who came to the U.S. in the 1960s-1970s. I hope to instill the immigrant mentality of hard work and appreciation of their native culture in my children and grandchildren, as my parents did to me.

-WSP

Comment

Working...
          X