Healthiest Diet Is:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FunkDoc83 View Post
    Man I wish I liked seafood, but I grew up with some terrible tasting fish and I just can’t get into seafood.
    I also hate fish and seafood. I can do shrimp and that's it. But we aren't big meat eaters in general so no big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by drmka26 View Post

1.5 hours....with...ONE...patient??? That sounds like a nightmare.
      Thank you for reminding me how much I disliked clinics as a resident.
      Hahaha. I spend 90 minutes with most new intakes since I have the time. I find if I put in the time up front to really get someone's history and get a feel for who they are, how they function, etc things are much easier to manage down the road.

Comment

I respect everyone's decision to consume the nutrition they choose to.

I have followed a whole food plant based lifestyle for the past almost 3 years now and can honestly say I have a hard time imagining myself seeing nutrition and health in a different way again.

Here is a decent overview of WFPB (just scratches the surface):
        https://www.goleafside.com/science-wfpb-diet-benefits/

just as side note, there is a strong Italian heritage in my family and, though we did americanize the food somewhat, I grew up eating a diet very simular to the Mediterranean Diet and I wish I had investigated and discovered WFPB (or simular) sooner in my life.

I am in no way attempting to be polarizing, everyone nutritional chooses are their own. I am just offering my perspective.

Comment

I’m a vegetarian. But unfortunately, as I get older, beans, lentils, peppers, garlic and onions give me the worst bloating and reflux. It’s now more of a question of what can I eat, rather than what I want to eat.

Comment

I've been vegetarian for a year now, primarily for the health benefits. Considering I was a hardcore steak lover, giving up meat has been surprisingly easy. I must admit, I do miss salmon and the occasional sushi. Based on this, maybe I need to reintroduce fish into the diet. Soy-Maple Glazed Salmon Nom Nom Nom!
            I should have been a pair of ragged claws. Scuttling across the floors of silent seas.

Comment

Started intermittent fasting and lost 15 lbs over 6 months. I sip black coffee starting at 7. Once I get past 10:30 it’s easy to wait until 12 to 1 to eat lunch. There in s only so much that can be eaten in 8 hrs, as long as the items are healthy.

plus, the benefits are there if one slacks off on the weekends, but still not to hard to restrict to 12 hours.

Comment

Seriously its cook your own food, make it mostly vegetables and little meats or sweets. Don't stuff yourself. There's nothing to be dialed in. Everyone knows in what way their food intake is imbalanced.

Comment

There are lots of people who make a great case for increasing protein from red meat in your diet. I believe eating red meat is alot healthier than eating a boneless skinless chicken breast or pork chop. And I feel great with the increased meat I've been eating.

​​​​​​Also, ruminant animals provide lots of fertilizer to make good soil to grow your vegetables. I don't think we will be able to outsmart mother nature. People on the carnivore end of the spectrum seem to favor regenerative agriculture. The vegan end of the spectrum seems to want to make food intellectual property. There's a happy middle in there somewhere.

​​​

Comment

Geez, you guys are crazy.

So don’t spend money. Save save save. Give up spending
                    Don’t buy a new car. Get a used one. Don’t get the flashy car.
                    Don’t buy the big house. Get a small one. Don’t buy a doctor’s house
                    Don’t eat red meat. Eat vegetables.
                    Don’t sit on the couch all day. Exercise.

Take all the fun out of living large and eating greasy meat!
                    Sounds like a very boring life.....

What about the misses? Don’t touch her?

Comment

We are a group of doctors. We are very good about telling people what they should do even if we do not do it ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by STATscans View Post
                        Geez, you guys are crazy.

So don’t spend money. Save save save. Give up spending
                        Don’t buy a new car. Get a used one. Don’t get the flashy car.
                        Don’t eat red meat. Eat vegetables.

Take all the fun out of living large and eating greasy meat!
                        Sounds like a very boring life.....

Yes eating greasy meat and sitting on the couch all day is a real blast. Do that enough and your “missus” will make sure you don’t touch her

Comment

So don’t spend money.
                          We spend a lot.(unfortunately)
                          Save save save.
                          Could save more, but it's objectively enough.(not subjectively)
                          Give up spending
                          Wish I could save more, but wife likes to spend and since she works hard as heck(like 95% on this board), she can spend whatever the f she wants.
                          Don’t buy a new car.
                          Got a y for my wife.
                          Get a used one. Don’t get the flashy car.
                          Got a used honda odyssey for the family.
                          In laws live with us as free childcare so got a 6 br.
                          Don’t eat red meat.
                          I try to feed my kids either a new york strip or a rib eye steak for breakfast at least once a week. Skillet pan fried high medium 5 min each side slathered with a thick pad of butter each side. Salt, pepper, and garlic salt both sides. After I'm don't frying it up, I pour the fat grease on the steak and serve it to my kids. Whatever they don't eat, I gobble up. In general eat as much meat as I can possibly stomach.
                          Eat vegetables.
                          We're members of a CSA. I don't know what they're delivering to us, but I cut it up and add it to my salad.
                          Yup, big fan of this.
                          Since keto and IF my skin is smooth for the first time in our relationship. Also, I stopped snoring. This helps, I think.

Comment

The healthiest diet is: Definitely not the one I eat!

But, in my opinion it’s probably a diet that closely represents our evolutionary past. Humans have been around for something like 5 million years and for the vast majority of that time we were tribal, nomadic people with a hunter/gatherer type of life. So, our bodies are certainly best adapted to foods like that. A diet in which we were eating 100% natural, non processed foods for sure. Sugar would definitely not be part of it except for that found naturally in fruits. Most likely meat was not part of the every day diet as there would have been no way to have meat with every meal. We would have eaten mostly vegetables, fruits, nuts, some grains in later times when we settled down and started farming. Meat would have been a smaller percentage of our intake. What percentage? No one knows but maybe something like 80% vegetarian 20% carnivorous? It seems reasonable to believe that fish would have been a big part of that meat portion given the relative ease with which early humans could have gotten it compared to say hunting bison, boar, deer, etc. So, this diet that they are describing as super heart healthy kind of fits that pattern in my opinion though olive oil would not have been readily available for much of human history (it is a highly processed food as well).

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Spouse View Post
                              I've been vegetarian for a year now, primarily for the health benefits. Considering I was a hardcore steak lover, giving up meat has been surprisingly easy. I must admit, I do miss salmon and the occasional sushi. Based on this, maybe I need to reintroduce fish into the diet. Soy-Maple Glazed Salmon Nom Nom Nom!
                              I always try to remind people that it doesn't have to be all or nothing with vegetarianism or veganism. You can eat a vegetarian diet for 80% of your meals and still allow yourself to have a steak or chicken 20% of the time and you’ll probably have all the same health benefits as the strict diet gives. If everyone cut back on their meat intake by even 60% we would see huge reductions in greenhouse gas emissions as well as all the public health benefits. I think it’s a terrible mistake that everyone treats being “a vegetarian” as some sort of strict religion and that you must choose all meat or no meat as your only options in life.
                              Most Americans eat horrifically bad food though. It’s mostly industrial farmed meats, refined sugars, and highly processed carbs for every single meal. If instead we could get people to mostly eliminate the refined sugars, eat whole food sources of carbs, and eat less meat, but make sure it’s high quality and sustainably farmed, we would see enormous changes in the health of our population. It’s also important to remember that there’s not enough land mass on the planet earth to provide all humans with the same diet as Americans enjoy. And that is because it takes so much land and resources to grow all the industrial farmed meat we consume. I have no problem with meat consumption, but the level at which we do it is unsustainable and horrifically bad for the planet.

Comment

Originally posted by hightower View Post

I always try to remind people that it doesn't have to be all or nothing with vegetarianism or veganism. You can eat a vegetarian diet for 80% of your meals and still allow yourself to have a steak or chicken 20% of the time and you’ll probably have all the same health benefits as the strict diet gives. If everyone cut back on their meat intake by even 60% we would see huge reductions in greenhouse gas emissions as well as all the public health benefits. I think it’s a terrible mistake that everyone treats being “a vegetarian” as some sort of strict religion and that you must choose all meat or no meat as your only options in life.
                                Most Americans eat horrifically bad food though. It’s mostly industrial farmed meats, refined sugars, and highly processed carbs for every single meal. If instead we could get people to mostly eliminate the refined sugars, eat whole food sources of carbs, and eat less meat, but make sure it’s high quality and sustainably farmed, we would see enormous changes in the health of our population. It’s also important to remember that there’s not enough land mass on the planet earth to provide all humans with the same diet as Americans enjoy. And that is because it takes so much land and resources to grow all the industrial farmed meat we consume. I have no problem with meat consumption, but the level at which we do it is unsustainable and horrifically bad for the planet.
                                As Oscar (from The Office) says, the problem with debating is we all get entrenched in our own views.

I'll disagree on the climate change part related to beef consumption. Mother nature wants animals and plants together. There was actually a life cycle analysis of green houses gases done on at white oak pastures. The same company also did one for the impossible burger. Turns out eating one grass fed regeneratively grown burger offsets the emissions (net negative) that it takes to produce an impossible burger (net positive).

There is already more than enough food produced to feed the world. Distribution and political challenges are the problem causing people to go hungry.

Sacred Cow is a good book detailing this discussion.

I agree with your other points.

Comment

Working...
                                X