Healthiest Diet Is:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Healthiest Diet Is:

There is a new review in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology regarding recommended diet:

A Pesco-Mediterranean diet of plants, nuts, extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO) and seafood, along with intermittent fasting, has strong cardioprotective evidence, according to a state-of-the-art review published Sept. 14 in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology.

James H. O'Keefe, MD, et al., review the cumulative evidence regarding diet and health, incorporating data from clinical trials of the Mediterranean diet and recommendations from recent guidelines, to support the hypothesis that a Pesco-Mediterranean diet is ideal for optimizing cardiovascular health.

"Many epidemiological studies and randomized clinical trials indicate this traditional Mediterranean diet is associated with lower risks for all-cause and [cardiovascular disease] mortality, coronary heart disease, metabolic syndrome, diabetes, cognitive decline, neurodegenerative diseases (including Alzheimer's disease), depression, overall cancer mortality, and breast and colorectal cancers," write the authors of the review.

The review outlines why seafood is a key component to the Mediterranean diet; the health benefits of Mediterranean, vegetarian and Pesco-vegetarian diets; other components of the Mediterranean Diet, including EVOO, nuts and legumes; and intermittent fasting/time-restricted eating.

"For millennia, the traditional Mediterranean diet has been based predominantly on fresh whole foods, such as vegetables, fruits, nuts, and olive, with fish from the sea," write the authors of the review. "This style of eating bestows a range of health benefits, especially with respect to long-term cardiovascular health and longevity. The Pesco-Mediterranean diet with daily time-restricted eating (window of 8- to 12-hours) and emphasis on consuming fish and seafood as the principle source of animal protein, is proposed as an ideal cardioprotective diet."

Last edited by CM; 09-20-2020, 08:25 AM.
    Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried (many) bags for a lovely and gracious 59 yo Cyd Charisse. (RIP) Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

Fortunately, coffee is acceptable. :-)
    Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried (many) bags for a lovely and gracious 59 yo Cyd Charisse. (RIP) Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

Comment

Man I wish I liked seafood, but I grew up with some terrible tasting fish and I just can’t get into seafood.

Comment

Thanks, this is one of the best reviews of the topic I have seen. And it is written simply enough that I can share this with my family.

Comment

I was going to post to the forum but I'll just tag along here.

I tried IF this week, just for the heck of it.Sixteen hour fasting each day. I don't need to lose weight per se my BMI is 23 and I run and lift so its an ok training weight.

I am definitely not losing weight. It's possible I'm gaining weight. After sixteen hours I am so hungry that I eat a large lunch. About an hour late I'm still hungry so I eat a large snack. This basically continues until dinner, when I start to gorge myself because I'm afraid I won't have anything to eat for sixteen hours and I'll be hungry. So I eat more than usual for dinner.

I also find that I'm eating more carbs. It seems to fill me up in a way that fats and proteins don't. I'm also eating fewer vegetables because I'm so hungry and know that if I eat a lot of vegetables I will be even hungrier in the sixteen hour fast.

Basically it reminds me of the way I eat after breaking my Yom Kippur fast, just cannot get full.

For those who are doing IF, do you have this experience? If so how did you manage it? Does it go away over time?

Comment

Originally posted by FunkDoc83 View Post
            Man I wish I liked seafood, but I grew up with some terrible tasting fish and I just can’t get into seafood.
            Salmon is delicious. Give it another chance.

I hated beans as a kid, but want beans in every salad now.

Comment

Originally posted by FIREshrink View Post

I tried IF this week, just for the heck of it.Sixteen hour fasting each day. I don't need to lose weight per se my BMI is 23 and I run and lift so its an ok training weight.

I am definitely not losing weight. It's possible I'm gaining weight. After sixteen hours I am so hungry that I eat a large lunch. About an hour late I'm still hungry so I eat a large snack. This basically continues until dinner, when I start to gorge myself because I'm afraid I won't have anything to eat for sixteen hours and I'll be hungry. So I eat more than usual for dinner.

I also find that I'm eating more carbs. It seems to fill me up in a way that fats and proteins don't. I'm also eating fewer vegetables because I'm so hungry and know that if I eat a lot of vegetables I will be even hungrier in the sixteen hour fast.

Basically it reminds me of the way I eat after breaking my Yom Kippur fast, just cannot get full.

For those who are doing IF, do you have this experience? If so how did you manage it? Does it go away over time?
              I haven't tried the fast because I rise at 5:30 and sprint to work without breakfast, then return home after 6 in most cases. I don't eat dinner then because if I do I'll just collapse before I can exercise. Therefore, I have a non-fat cappuccino for breakfast, a decent packed lunch at noon, then nothing til 8 pm usually.

I don't think I'd have the problem you're describing though, because salads and vegetables are very filling for me. I do put nuts in my salads and use extra virgin olive oil (with balsamic vinegar) for dressing, both are fatty and filling.

Comment

Good article. I have been a lacto-ovo vegetarian for many years. I do eat fish maybe 2-3 X /year.

Comment

I love salads but no matter how big, literally an hour later I am hungry. I tend to have a pretty fast metabolism, even at my age.

To counteract the hunger I've been drinking a lot of water and some tea. This led to a difficult situation in clinic last week when I spent an hour and a half with a new patient and had to pee the whole time ....

Comment

Try putting nuts and seeds on your salad

Comment

My salads have chicken tuna almonds walnuts, lots of olive oil, chickpeas and beans... Without some carbs I do not stay full. I have to add at least a PB and banana sandwich or plate of noodles.

Comment

Are you trying to cut fat or just want to know you can through the method? That is the one assumption of the diet, not making up those calories during the eating window. I did 16/8 for years and mostly maintained. The lifestyle and discipline were enough for me. These last few weeks I've been narrowing to a 24 hour fast, or only eating dinner. I find with that extra hour or two I lose my appetite and by the time I eat I don't want to consume very much. This week I'd eat Korean stew, have some whiskey, and be fine. Only one night did I find myself back in the kitchen after dinner, so yesterday I grazed and am getting back to the window today. I have a couple friends who swear by multi-day fasts but I'm not prepared for the psychological element of that. I can't imagine falling asleep hungry. Also, I do use intra-workout supplements and when I start feeling weak / nauseous I drink broth.

Comment

Most days I fast for 20+ hours since I just eat after I get home from work. Occasionally I get a hunger pang in the morning, but it's usually gone after 15 minutes. Try drinking some water and just waiting so you can train your body to learn it's going to be okay.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyche View Post
                            I have a couple friends who swear by multi-day fasts but I'm not prepared for the psychological element of that. I can't imagine falling asleep hungry.
                            I watched a couple of podcast interviews with David Sinclair and other longevity researchers. While it's apparently true that fasting has remarkable beneficial effects in just about every organism tested, what struck me was the severity of the fasts employed in the experiments.

IIRC, mice were subjected to either 24 hr or 48 hr fasting on a regular basis. Sounds strict, but potentially manageable, correct? Until the scientist reported that the mouse loses 20% of its body wt after either a 24 or 48 hr fast (can't remember which), and the mouse would be dead after a 72 hour fast.

Even if we extrapolate mammalian data to humans and assume a benefit, how long would we have to fast to achieve the benefit? Long enough to lose 20% of our body wt on a recurring basis?

Comment

Always nice when the diet you feel best eating anyway is validated.

I do worry about the effects of overfishing.

Comment

Working...
                              X