Music in the office

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brains428 View Post
    Lordosis Here is every MTV VMA performance from this year. It should get you caught up with the kids.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyZPhBKIKHY

I watched most of it. An aside- maybe the pandemic will bring back the music video as a way to get to know artists since concerts aren't happening.
    I made it to 8 seconds in...

Comment

Our lab tech/phlebotomist was playing rap uncensored, we did not let that last very long.

Comment

There's very few places in public that one can escape music. I dislike having music in the office, sometimes the nurses play the radio but keep it down. The chiropractor down the hall plays awful muzak, but only occasionally.

On the other hand, I play a lot of music in my personal office. A lot of it is loud and sonically abrasive, or traditional music which most people would just classify as weird or distracting or unpleasant if they are not used to it. But no one can hear it unless they walk by my office door.

Playing right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LorgFUthR4E
        Last edited by legobikes; 09-16-2020, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaqen Haghar MD View Post

It’s interesting how the term classic rock is a moving target. The term came about in the 1980s... Growing up, classic rock meant late 60s-1970s music... CCR, Journey, Kansas, Steve Miller.... I hate that stuff. The stuff from the 80s, then 90s was new, hip, and totally different.

Now, when I check into a hotel, the classic rock station is playing Madonna and Bon Jovi, and heavy metal bands.

I guess classic rock just means, whatever was playing 30-40 years ago, from today.
          This just occurred to me like, last year.

When I started hearing Nirvana on the classic rock stations, I knew I was officially considered "old".

I hate a quiet OR. But I leave it up to the surgeon or nurses to pick the station. Some abuse the noise level, but most play it at a good level where we can still function and hear each other normally. Most go with what would be PG enough for the whole room.

Comment

One of the things I miss about no longer being on nights (and the only person in the pharmacy) is the freedom to play whatever music I like.
            Even now I do still frequently set my iPad up, but I'll usually pull up some low-fi hip-hop at a low volume... 95% instrumental, basically just chill jazz with a bit of a beat behind it.
            No one seems to object.

Comment

This just makes me glad I don't have to sit in a common area all day. But I'd wear my noise canceling headphones if I had to. I would not want to listen to other people's music all day.

Comment

The OR is basically my office, so I listen to music all the time. Christian rock or hip hop, classical, rock, soundtracks, Disney hits, country, etc.

Comment

If I had to listen to Christian rock, Christmas music, or country at any audible volume it would take me about five minutes to go postal.

Comment

i do not listen to much music, it's odd my dad is the same way.

i think for someone to set up a speaker and play music at work is at best fairly presumptuous.

agree w/ what Tim said earlier that the default should be "not allowed" unless there is clear consensus that everyone positively desires the music to be playing.

and i think when you bring in something like religious music the answer on that should basically always be "no." most likely those people listening to "christian rock" (whatever that is exactly) would presumably not be open to religious music from another tradition being played in their work space.

Comment

OR’s bring out different tastes, some unexpected.
                      One particular group found a special place in the minds of particular age group of females.
                      High school, college, residency interview question, playlists, fellowship, next fellowship, trip to Vegas for two fellows as a gift and two attendings making it a five “girl” trip to Vegas and a late 70’s yr old Dept chair singing karaoke.
                      Basically a singalong that a surgeon father can’t help know if two teen daughters made it a household item and he had to take them to several concerts. You don’t need to be a singer and you don’t need to know the words.
                      https://youtu.be/4fndeDfaWCg
                      Backstreet Boys has over 817,000,000 views on one song. Still hanging around making money. Someone is a fan, some in healthcare.

Comment

MAs have soft music playing from their phones (not sure if it is streaming or what). It makes them happy, doesn't bother me, and patients can't hear it as it is behind closed doors. Does not effect their production at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Lithium View Post
                          If I had to listen to Christian rock, Christmas music, or country at any audible volume it would take me about five minutes to go postal.
                          How about Nickelback

Comment

I am always listening to some kind of music. In the office it can be good in common areas especially since many are noisy and cheaply made so that you can hear other rooms way too easy. Obviously, it should be something benign or unavoidable, like todays hits or easy listening. It should be background.

In the OR its much more what I'd like to listen to, but even then, I mostly chill it out since I realize very few people like some of the things I really like. Every now and then for slight enjoyment I'll put it on my jams, but mostly a more approachable widely varying version, though I do listen to a fairly wide variety.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaphod View Post
                              I am always listening to some kind of music. In the office it can be good in common areas especially since many are noisy and cheaply made so that you can hear other rooms way too easy. Obviously, it should be something benign or unavoidable, like todays hits or easy listening. It should be background.

In the OR its much more what I'd like to listen to, but even then, I mostly chill it out since I realize very few people like some of the things I really like. Every now and then for slight enjoyment I'll put it on my jams, but mostly a more approachable widely varying version, though I do listen to a fairly wide variety.
                              Surgeon is captain of the ship in the OR so listen to what you enjoy. You don’t get to take a break from the case or surf your phone (here’s looking at you anesthesia ).

But seriously, I don’t get too extreme such as heavy metal, expletive music, EDM, etc. One CRNA hated my workout playlist (I need some energy at the end of a long day), and another CRNA was surprised by the Spotify “kid’s birthday playlist”, which is actually quite upbeat.

Comment

Originally posted by endo4jc View Post

Surgeon is captain of the ship in the OR so listen to what you enjoy. You don’t get to take a break from the case or surf your phone (here’s looking at you anesthesia ).

But seriously, I don’t get too extreme such as heavy metal, expletive music, EDM, etc. One CRNA hated my workout playlist (I need some energy at the end of a long day), and another CRNA was surprised by the Spotify “kid’s birthday playlist”, which is actually quite upbeat.
                                While my tastes are broad, its only occasionally enjoyable to play music most people dont know or enjoy at all. I do like plenty of stuff people can take even if they dont know it.

Im pretty sure my tastes file under extreme in many cases, love screamo. My broader playlist will only sprinkle it in, with a bit for everyone, because I like other things as well, but very little that would be radio stuffs.

Comment

Working...
                                X