Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The good and bad of your house

I'll start.
    The favorite part of my house is my walk out basement. I turn it into a man cave and an entertainment room with all of my gadgets and equipments. I get a lot of joy and pride whenever I'm in my basement.
    One thing I regret the most about my house is that it's on a corner lot. I thought I would like it initially because it has nice curb appeal and decent yard but now I hate it for the lack of privacy. I like to host party and invite people over and I want to have a private back yard where I can entertain folks outdoor. I have a deck but no place for outdoor entertainment.

Mine is at the end of the neighborhood which has only one entrance. It's much quieter vs the front of the neighborhood with a busy road. Very little car traffic in front of my home except from the other neighbors next to me. Home is big enough where I have my own dedicated office where my workstation is located. Neighborhood is very walkable which I do daily with the wife.

The neighborhood was built by one developer. For some unknown reason there is no sewer and all the homes are on septic which I find bizarre. It also lacks fiber internet which is now available in the newer neighborhoods in my area.

Comment

Originally posted by GIMD View Post
      I'll start.
      I have a deck but no place for outdoor entertainment.
      tall hedges or a nice privacy fence?

Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Good: Bought it cheap as new build construction in a relatively new subdivision. House was about 60% annual salary so was able to renovate ensuite bathroom the way I wanted it right away. As more houses have been built, property value has gone up. HOA fees only $120/year. More than enough space for us and to have occasional family/friends visit and stay with us.

Bad: Builder grade materials have started to show after a couple years as the house has settled. Roof isn't conducive for solar and the breaker box is on the outside of the house opposite the garage so figuring out charging for EV was a pain in the butt. Kinda rural area so only 1 internet company which isn't fun to complain about since there's no other option.

Comment

Good: Good school district, not about to collapse, great for walkability, close to lots of activities

Bad: Taxes; nature, age, prior poor upkeep by previous owners, and wife’s demands make it an asset diverting excessive funds that would otherwise be going to college savings and retirement

Comment

Good: Walkable neighborhood. Very friendly. Planned community with strict architecture guidelines and landscaping. Great floor plan. Lots of upgrades over old house. Really love the master closets. 3 car garage.
            Bad: Do not like the kitchen tile. Too lazy to change it. Whole house surround sound. I never use this. 2 ovens. I do not need this. Hard to park in garage from an alley.

Comment

Good: Great community with great neighbors. It's affordable but nicer than any house I figured I'd live in growing up. Great school district. We both enjoy it and see ourselves here for a long time (which will positively affect our future financial flexibility).

Bad: Taxes somewhat high for a LCOL area but overall not bad. I'd prefer if I could walk outside and barely see the next closest house but we can't all get what we want and that would likely come with too many tradeoffs for us.

Comment

Good: heated garage in a cold climate- all else is just details , gas fireplace, full basement

Bad: smaller yard and dark kitchen

Comment

The good: Being surrounded by nature (we live on a 5 acre plot of land with a pond and we are surrounded by my in-laws 60 acre horse farm). No neighbors except family and we cant even see their house from ours. Plenty of space for gardening galore (which could even turn into a business in the future). Location is not as rural as you might guess. We’re actually only about 20 minutes from downtown. So we get the best of both worlds in my view.

The bad: The house is too big. And since it was built by someone else, it isn’t exactly “us” in terms of style/overall looks. The kitchen and master bath leave much to be desired compared to our previous house. But the outside makes up for it. The other con is taxes. They are high for the area. But our mortgage is very reasonable and we just refinanced to 2.8% fixed for 30 years so, eventually the taxes wont seem too bad.

Comment

Good: guest apt upstairs with separate entrance, kitchen, etc., hubs developed neighborhood and there is only 1 other house here (great for walking Beau). Not by design but hubs got bored with it and moved on to other projects (you’d have to know him to understand that!)

Bad: electric not gas in kitchen, not enough storage space in kitchen, outside kitchen we no longer use (I think there is a theme here)
                    Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

I feel like these threads pop up every month or so, no?

Most bad: Even though I am debt free, this serf still owes money to The Man. Forever.

Comment

https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/fo...big-dumb-house

https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/fo...enient-happier

Comment

Good: we own several acres around the property , which limits neighbors. House is paid for.

Bad: we are at the life cycle of the house where the big items keeps failing, appliances , roof etc

Comment

Originally posted by GIMD View Post
                            I'll start.
                            The favorite part of my house is my walk out basement. I turn it into a man cave and an entertainment room with all of my gadgets and equipments. I get a lot of joy and pride whenever I'm in my basement.
                            One thing I regret the most about my house is that it's on a corner lot. I thought I would like it initially because it has nice curb appeal and decent yard but now I hate it for the lack of privacy. I like to host party and invite people over and I want to have a private back yard where I can entertain folks outdoor. I have a deck but no place for outdoor entertainment.
                            Good: cheap, paid off, decent location , everything is close by,lot of kids in neighborhood
                            Good neighbors , easy to maintain

bad: small backyard , smaller house, not enough space for entertaining , street is crowded with parked cars

Comment

A fence will probably devalue our house. I'm searing for some good options for tall nice hedges.

Originally posted by jfoxcpacfp View Post
                              tall hedges or a nice privacy fence?

I see some familiar themes popping up. Potential homeowners take heed.

Comment

Working...
                              X