Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CM
    replied
    Clubbing in LA (in the 1980s) with friends who were scratching out a living in the local industry (mainly dancers trying to be actors and singers).

Leave a comment:

• HandFellow
    replied
    Don't let people in the thread tell you that you can't afford a vacation.  You know what you can afford.

I can't imagine trying to fly across an ocean with my kids.  We've done part of an ocean, Hawaii, and while miserable for a day or two, it is a great thing.

Best vacation is me and my wife, alone, exploring new cities in Europe.  I'm not an adventurous person in terms of hiking and wildlife and skiing, so that might not be your thing.  And I can't imagine doing it in the winter.  Having lived in Europe in the winter, I know how brutal cold it can be.

For family, a beach vacation is the best.  Doesn't have to be Hawaii or anything special.  Just a beach and a pool and the kids are happy, and it doesn't break the bank.  Like going to Disney.  What a fraud.

As per the cost, there are lots of things to do to get the cost down.  I have started churning cards and it has saved me thousands of dollars on vacations and it makes the planning even more fun.

Leave a comment:

• socaintexas
    replied
    I agree with a Disney cruise. We are going on our 11th in November.  We always go off peak season and the cost is a little more than a non-Disney cruise but much less money and stress than Disney world. My kids are 7. We also have an RV and spend many weekends and short holidays at the local lake about 7 miles from our house. It feels like a getaway but we can still run home and check on the animals. As the girls get older I imagine we will have to change things up but this has worked great for us!

Leave a comment:

• uptoolate
    replied
    As a resident working crazy hours at Baragwanath Hospital in Soweto then had two weeks off to spend in Capetown and along the Garden Route.  Was young, starved and overworked and everything just seemed so much sweeter than it might otherwise have.  Cost was next to nothing. Flight from Jo'burg to Capetown and then very inexpensive everything because the COL was very low to begin with and the Rand wasn't worth much so exchange rate was awesome.  Would do it again in a heartbeat.  If only I could find a time machine.

Leave a comment:

• The White Coat Investor
    replied
    Heli-skiing this Winter was certainly one of my more memorable trips.

Leave a comment:

• PDAllen-EA
    replied
    Flew to Detroit and rented a car. Caught a Tigers game.

Drove to Cleveland, caught an Indians game.

Drove to Pittsburgh, caught a double-header.

Drove to Boston, caught a game at Fenway.

Drove to New York, caught a Yankees game.

Drove to DC, caught a Nationals game.

Drove home.

I week, 6 ball parks, 7 games. Ten years ago and the kids still talk about it.  

Leave a comment:

• mitchelleipper
    replied
    Hi there, Last year I visited to Hawaii and that was th most memorable trip for me. I will surely go there next time.

Leave a comment:

• sealsmith217
    replied
    We did a 10 day Land + Cruise package to Alaska before we had kids and my wife and I had a lot of fun. It was during the month of August when the weather in Alaska is usually best. Some people say Alaska is where old people visit when they retire but I found visiting it at the age of 30 was quite enjoyable. The outdoor wildlife, Mt. Denali, salmon bake, whale watching, glaciers, etc. were a once in a lifetime experience.

Leave a comment:

• Kamban
    replied

Im an attending now, wife will soon be out of fellowship. Just kept the resident_1 name since I joined when the forum first apeared.

What is most difficult is flights with 3 kids under 6yo.

My mistake. I apologize.

As to 3 kids under 6, I cannot answer it fully but I have one kid who was under six when we traveled. She had her first flight to Boston at 6 months and had multiple trips within USA by the time she was five. Her 1st long distance trip was at age 4 to India via Dubai, that was 14 hours flying time and a 4 hour layover in Dubai ( that could have ended in a nightmare when she suddenly ran to an elevator, got in and pressed the button before we could react and we watched in horror as the elevator descended down. We were hoping against hope that she would not run out when the elevator door opened and there was no other elevator nearby for me to go down nor a stairs. Luckily she stood there and the elevator came up after a minute   .)

She has had multiple international trips from age 5 starting with Peru and mist recently Kenya and Tanzania and South India. Young children get bored with long flights and ears pop during take off that they may not be able to handle. I would do road trips in USA, short 3-4 hour flights within USA or maybe a 6-7 hour flight to one destination.

Wait till the youngest is 5+ before you take long trips abroad. Children are disinterested in culture - our greatest trip which was to Russia was my daughter's bottom of the pile trip. She hated the magnificent churches and castles that blew us away visually.  Most children will rather swim in a swimming pool of the hotel than the calm bay or the beach and they would rather jump from the diving board of the roof top pool than admire the beautiful Parthenon just a mile away.  But the family time is well worth it.

If you have close relatives and friends who have similar aged children, similar tastes and can afford the trip, group trips can be more fun for the children as well as the adults.

Leave a comment:

• GXA
    replied
    One of many trips to the great outdoors.  Hiking in the US and Canadian Rockies, backpacking in the Yukon, hiking in Alaska, family trips to the grand canyon, southern Utah, Death Valley, Smoky Mountains/Pisgah forest.  Heading to Costa Rica with the family soon.

Leave a comment:

• HLM
    replied
    We have had been lucky to have a number of amazing vacations that have ranged from spendy to cheap.

Our most expensive trip was to Italy. We spent two weeks there in the summer a few years ago and it cost us about $20,000 for flight, lodging and what we spent while there. We all had an amazing time and we all still talk about it fondly. We also all fantasize about going back someday. We went with another family who are good friends of ours. We made sure to allow the kids (age range was 5-12 at the time) limitless pizza and gelato in exchange for complaint free walking which we did tons of. We also made sure to limit outings to boring grown up places to just one per/day and allowed for plenty of time for the kids to just goof around together.

We've also had a lot fun in Hawaii on Oahu and the Big Island. We tend to just veg out while there though. We live in the gray Pacific Northwest so just seeing sunshine in the winter is pretty exciting for us. As others have mentioned, really getting adventurous in Hawaii with young kids would probably be hard or unsafe. One tip--if you can swing taking your in-laws with you, that can be a great way to have both fun veg out family time and alone couples time while the grandparent hang out with the kids. Hawaii is a place we will definitely return to again and again.

But we've also had tons of vacations to small, scenic towns near where we live that we were able to drive to and weren't terribly expensive and we all loved those trips too. Our kids also absolutely love going to Idaho where we have good friends. We've never done anything particularly extravagant while there but traveling to hang out with people you really can enjoy being with and relax around is priceless.

Also, if you find a family that you can travel with that you really enjoy and can travel stress free with, you can swap free babysitting. When our kids were little and we'd travel with friends, we'd each get a night to go out as a couple while the other couple held down the fort with all the kids.

Leave a comment:

• RDB
    replied
    We travel 2-3 times per year, almost always beach. We have 3 year old boys and a 1 year old girl. Our favorite with kids so far has been renting a house on the beach in San Diego with another family. Houses work well over hotels for us, even though my wife still likes the amenities of hotels/resorts. We love Hawaii and plan to go there often, but an 8 hour flight is a little much for us with our kids ages. I think it would be a great spot with kids, but as others have said, you will not likely be able to do some of the adventurous stuff, but it will still be a great vacation.

Leave a comment:

• Arkad
    replied
    Rent an RV and travel to some great places in the States. Traveling with kids in an RV is great. You can pull over at any rest stop or Walmart when you get tired and go to sleep. You can drive as much or as little on any day.  There are tons of places to see and you can do them at your own pace and driving longer distances with kids in an RV is much better than a car. It's not Europe but it is pretty inexpensive and there is a lot to see and do without having to get on a plane. We have traveled with kids in Europe and elsewhere but the RV trips were great too.

Leave a comment:

• hightower
    replied
    National Parks are always our go to.  My favorites so far have been Yosemite, Glacier, Mt. Rainier, Olympic, Hawaii Volcanoes.  I can't really comment on the kids though (don't have any).  We do a lot of backpacking so these are excellent places for that.  But all national parks have great educational opportunities at the visitor centers, ranger programs, family friendly activities like biking, canoes, nature trails, etc.

Leave a comment:

• FIREshrink
    replied
    top trips

- 2 week 10th anniversary cruise on Celebrity. We splurged on two cabins so we could have some privacy, us in 1 cabin, kids in the other (adjoining). great great memories. We have done 4 cruises and they are very relaxing.

- many, many camping trips every summer all over our beautiful part of the country. 2 nights, 7 nights, everywhere in between. We enjoy tent camping for a week as much as a week on a cruise ship. It's nice to be able to appreciate both experiences.

- we have a special place we go to every summer for 1 week which is off the grid for the most part, and isolated enough that you cannot drive there and hiking there takes 3 days. You can float plane or take a boat. But they have a restaurant and a bakery, a cabin with a kitchenette. It's great.

- Hawaii is special to us because family is from there. I have gone dozens of times. There's no place like home.

- we did some great international trips with the kids when they were very young but they don't remember them and we stopped pushing the issue as we realized it was too much trouble, not enough bang for the buck or effort. They're older now and we're starting to explore major US cities (NYC, DC, SF) and will probably head back to Europe in a couple years.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X