Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adventure
    replied
    We lived in a state during the time marijuana was discussed, voted upon, and legalized.

I found it interesting to observe the cultural shift in a society when something so taboo is suddenly allowed.

More specifically, many "medical" items are typically more expensive than standard items. However, this isn't the case with "medical" marijuana - people want the card so because it costs less than non-medical weed.

Leave a comment:

• adventure
    replied

olyethylene glycol, kerosene, and paraffin. Acute renal toxicity after ingestion of Lava light liquid.

So, if you search all the publications for the first author of that paper, you get quite a humorous list of topics ...

Everything from eels to mushrooms to rock concerts to lava lamps to adventures in the Amazon. And that's just page one!

Leave a comment:

• PhysicianOnFIRE
    replied

Now that you mention it, I seem to remember having a patient on an ethanol drip after he drank his lava lamp when I was an intern.

Guy probably drank the lamp after smoking too much weed.
    Click to expand…

Drank his lava lamp? weird
    Click to expand…

whats in a lava lamp anyways?

Polyethylene glycol, kerosene, and paraffin.

Acute renal toxicity after ingestion of Lava light liquid.

Leave a comment:

• G
    replied

Now that you mention it, I seem to remember having a patient on an ethanol drip after he drank his lava lamp when I was an intern.

Guy probably drank the lamp after smoking too much weed.  ?

Yes, we had ethanol drips when I was a resident, but those VA memories when I was a student...wow.  I'll never forget that ornery vietnam vet with uncontrolled IDDM who presented with DKA and nec fasc.  Started off on the medicine service (DKA) before coming to me on surgery (nec fasc) in the middle of the night.  Honest to God, my intern went to the store and bought dry ice and we froze his leg until the OR started running in the morning.  As they say, the standard of care is local, right?

Leave a comment:

• G
    replied
    Triad, can you write me a prescription for willow bark?  This thread is giving me a headache. 

Leave a comment:

• triad
    replied

Click to expand…

whats in a lava lamp anyways?

Leave a comment:

• triad
    replied

That is a VERY misleading headline.
    Click to expand…

haha, didn’t even think about that!  sorry, didn’t mean to offend you, WCI

Do physicians believe that MM can be used to treat chronic pain?  There is an opioid crisis in this country now and if people could deal with it with pot instead of oxycodone there would be significant benefits to society.  Lots of OD’s on oxy, none in the history of time on pot.

I’m not a huge conspiracy theorist but clearly the pharmaceuticals have an interest in seeing pot stay illegal.  So a financial connection would be to short big pharma when it looks like pot will be legalized nationally
    Click to expand…

I take exception to the no od with pot in the history of time.  I’ve seen a number of children overdosed on marijuana, but have not yet needed to admit any to PICU as others have. Also plenty of patients who are so addicted that they can’t stop smoking despite the fact that they need to be admitted every month for cyclical vomiting.  I consider that overdose too.  POC testing for THC level could be good play money investment.  Big Pharma losing would be a black swan kind of scenario…super unlikely, but enormous possible profit.  Big Tobacco might be a good long for nationalization, they have the money and network to profit on pot…yeah, the irony is explicit coming from a doc.
    Click to expand…

sorry, I meant fatal overdose.   would you agree that opiods cause significantly more fatalities then pot (zero as far as i know).
    Click to expand…

Absolutely, more fatalities with alcohol (car crash) and opiates (respiratory failure).
    Click to expand…

so its safer then some medical alternatives by a few factors of magnitude but its not a real medicine?
    Click to expand…

I don’t recall saying that its not a real medicine, but yeah, I’ll say it now:  marijuana is not a real medicine.  Just like eating willow bark or foxglove isn’t considered taking medicine.  There are components of marijuana that have the potential of being medicine (e.g. CBD)–if the FDA changed the schedule, perhaps we could actually study it.  Of course, with the stream of bluster coming out of DC, I’m not holding my breath.

And re-reading this thread about Big Pharma and then PoF’s post made me chuckle…I recall when I was rotating at the VA, a methanol overdose being treated with Vodka from the local grocery store…he did just fine, but now we have a super expensive drug which is the standard of care.  Big Pharma will be just fine….

Just because you don't know how to prescribe it doesn't mean its not real medicine   I've had a few patients self-medicate with a margarita before an appointment with me.

Leave a comment:

• Zaphod
    replied

Leave a comment:

• PhysicianOnFIRE
    replied

Guy probably drank the lamp after smoking too much weed.  :P

Leave a comment:

• G
    replied

Click to expand…

Do physicians believe that MM can be used to treat chronic pain?  There is an opioid crisis in this country now and if people could deal with it with pot instead of oxycodone there would be significant benefits to society.  Lots of OD’s on oxy, none in the history of time on pot.

I’m not a huge conspiracy theorist but clearly the pharmaceuticals have an interest in seeing pot stay illegal.  So a financial connection would be to short big pharma when it looks like pot will be legalized nationally
    Click to expand…

I take exception to the no od with pot in the history of time.  I’ve seen a number of children overdosed on marijuana, but have not yet needed to admit any to PICU as others have. Also plenty of patients who are so addicted that they can’t stop smoking despite the fact that they need to be admitted every month for cyclical vomiting.  I consider that overdose too.  POC testing for THC level could be good play money investment.  Big Pharma losing would be a black swan kind of scenario…super unlikely, but enormous possible profit.  Big Tobacco might be a good long for nationalization, they have the money and network to profit on pot…yeah, the irony is explicit coming from a doc.
    Click to expand…

sorry, I meant fatal overdose.   would you agree that opiods cause significantly more fatalities then pot (zero as far as i know).
    Click to expand…

Absolutely, more fatalities with alcohol (car crash) and opiates (respiratory failure).
    Click to expand…

so its safer then some medical alternatives by a few factors of magnitude but its not a real medicine?

I don't recall saying that its not a real medicine, but yeah, I'll say it now:  marijuana is not a real medicine.  Just like eating willow bark or foxglove isn't considered taking medicine.  There are components of marijuana that have the potential of being medicine (e.g. CBD)--if the FDA changed the schedule, perhaps we could actually study it.  Of course, with the stream of bluster coming out of DC, I'm not holding my breath.

And re-reading this thread about Big Pharma and then PoF's post made me chuckle...I recall when I was rotating at the VA, a methanol overdose being treated with Vodka from the local grocery store...he did just fine, but now we have a super expensive drug which is the standard of care.  Big Pharma will be just fine....

Leave a comment:

• PhysicianOnFIRE
    replied

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Alcohol is not considered medicine in 99.99% of uses. An exception is when injected directly into a bundle of nerves to achieve neurolysis to treat intractable pain in cancer patients. It's also a good topical antiseptic, but that's not a medicinal use, either.

Leave a comment:

• triad
    replied

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Leave a comment:

• G
    replied

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Leave a comment:

• ACN
    replied
    Virginia Republican introduces bill to end federal marijuana prohibition

H.R. 1227: Ending Federal Marijuana Prohibition Act of 2017

Leave a comment:

• The White Coat Investor
    replied

Use enough medicinal marijuana, and the site starts to look like this (see image)

I'm just happy it's back!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X