Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New locks for doors - any recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New locks for doors - any recommendations?

We will be moving into a new home (residential, safe neighborhood) later this summer and plan on switching out the locks on our exterior doors. A quick cursory google search shows there are several options available - varying safety features, wifi enabled, key code entry, "smart locks", different manufacturers, etc... I was curious if the community has any recommendations for manufacturers, specific models, recommended features, etc...

I really like these. Very convenient
    Schlage BE365CAM619 Be365 Camelot Keypad Deadbolt, Satin Nickel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NJJ1MQ..._FZBcFb7WXVMJS

Comment

Schlage locks. Consider adding supplemental Nightlock door security.

Realize that a brick through the window negates most door locks.

Comment

Nothing wifi/Bluetooth connected.
        keypad is fine.
        Schlage otherwise.
        3" screws

Comment

Originally posted by JK View Post
          We will be moving into a new home (residential, safe neighborhood) later this summer and plan on switching out the locks on our exterior doors. A quick cursory google search shows there are several options available - varying safety features, wifi enabled, key code entry, "smart locks", different manufacturers, etc... I was curious if the community has any recommendations for manufacturers, specific models, recommended features, etc...
          If the existing hardware is decent quality, consider having a locksmith rekey the locks instead of replacing all the hardware. I'm biased, since a buddy of mine is a locksmith, so he usually send one of his techs out pretty quickly and gives us a bit of discount.

Comment

If you like the locks, you can rekey. We rekeyed a couple locks when we moved into our new house. If you take out the lock and bring it into a shop, it should be super cheap - I think we paid $7/cylinder.

We also have the Yale/Nest lock on the side door that we use the most often. It’s very convenient. I wanted a smart-lock and we already had the nest thermostats and smoke detectors. I LOVE the remote feature. If I’m going to bed and wonder if I checked it or went for a walk, I can look at my phone instead of walking downstairs or turning around. When we go to the car, you don’t have to pass off keys to turn on the car then go back and lock the door. It also has a guest feature - when the in-laws come to town, it gives them a passcode that expires when you set it to expire. Even my wife who is anti-tech in most things admits it’s nice.

Comment

Front door - Nest lock. Made by Yale
              Door from garage into house - Yale August Smart lock. Which has a key option, keypad and wifi smart lock / unlock. I like this better that Nest.
              Both doors also have additional deadbolt locks that we can activate when we go on a vacation.

For other doors to the Patio from the rear and inside th3e house, we went with a higher end commercial version from a building supply company. Doe not have Schlage, but also we do not have to pay for that name.
              Last edited by Kamban; 07-11-2020, 04:20 PM.

Comment

We like Schlage with the keypad. No WiFi. Easy to reprogram.

Comment

Working...
                X