• Show
Clear All

• adventure
    replied
    Monday's. Ugh. Monday's.

Leave a comment:

• EJ at Dads Dollars and Debts
    replied
    I am a big fan of Wednesdays off. You would be off right now. That way you would never have a hump day:

http://www.dadsdollarsdebts.com/blog-1/2017/03/22/hump-day-march-22-291

Plus every work day would be a Monday or Friday, as your day off is just 2 days away. I plan on taking off Wednesdays when I go 80%. Plus it is less disruptive to your colleagues who want to take 3 or 4 day weekends/vacations.

Leave a comment:

• RDB
    replied
    I am only 6 years into my career (dentist). I worked 6 days a week for a couple years (half day Friday and Saturday). Then dropped Saturday, then dropped Wednesday. I became more efficient and do more in less time. I have been on 3.5 days/31 hours for the last three years.

Leave a comment:

• Antares
    replied
    I'm in solo practice, and have worked 4 days a week for 20+ years, since early in my career. I'd much rather work 4 longer days than 5 shorter ones.

Leave a comment:

• HikingDO
    replied
    I've worked for several different practices in 20 years, and have never worked a five day work week, always four days, ten hours each. I wouldn't even consider a job that won't allow that.

Leave a comment:

• DoubleMDs
    replied
    Wow way more people on here that have scheduled weekdays off then I would've thought. How many work a full five day M-F week? Or for others how quickly into practice did you go to an abbreviated workweek?

Leave a comment:

• RogueDadMD
    replied
    If you have kids then absolutely Monday or Friday if it's not a financial killer.

It's not just the 3 day weekends during the summer, but schools have random Mon/Fri off during the year that you can take advantage of throughout the year by just being off and being able to do things and not have to send them to a babysitter or daycamp or whatever those days.

Leave a comment:

• HikingDO
    replied
    FM doc, I'm off every Friday and love the three day weekends. Almost feels like working part time.

Leave a comment:

• mjakec
    replied
    I have experimented with Wednesdays and Fridays off and I prefer Wednesdays. Never work more than 2 days in a row.

Leave a comment:

• Otodoc
    replied
    thursday afternoons.  that way to take a long weekend, i only have to cancel my friday, and i dont operate on fridays so it works pretty good for me.

Leave a comment:

• Kamban
    replied
    Fridays off for me

Leave a comment:

• FIREshrink
    replied
    haven't worked Mondays since residency. That day off, after a busy weekend, when the kids get back to school - great.

Before the kids we did 3 day weekend trips like crazy, not so any more during the school year but we do during the summer. So a Wednesday could be nice during the school year but I'm pretty content as is.

To be honest, I leave a bit early on Wednesday now, too. Around 3 pm.

When I drop down to 0.8 FTE I'll probably have one set day off and one rotating day off.

Leave a comment:

• kingsnake
    replied
    One benefit of Mondays off is that during the summer I can do more spontaneous 3 day weekend things with my boys aged 5 and 7.  We live in the upper midwest so....camping trip, Twin Cities or Chicago visit, up to a friends lake house, etc. we can come home Monday and I don't have to take a Monday off 30 days or more ahead of time to have a 3 day weekend trip.

Downside of Monday is probably losing some income...but that's OK as i'm close to FI

Leave a comment:

• wideopenspaces
    replied
    I like having something to look forward to during the week so Mondays off really isn't my favorite because then you have nothing to look forward to the rest of the week. It's like eating dessert first when you know your dinner consists of liver and cod fish. Or something like that, I don't actually dislike my job that much. I would do Wednesdays to break up the week. Right now I just work Friday and I have to say it's a pretty amazing schedule ;-)

Leave a comment:

• Joseph
    replied
    Took Mondays for five years because the office was closed. It was OK.

Now take Wednesdays off and I find it to be a better fit for me.  Always have the weekend and can tell myself that I can do two days in a row, no problem.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X