Birthday gift ideas for wife?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birthday gift ideas for wife?

My wife will be turning 34 in a couple months and it got me thinking about possible gift ideas. I'm curious from both husbands/wives...what were the best gifts you've received/given or wish you'd received in the following cost categories:

< $100 Category

$100-500 Category

$500+ Category

Given past 2 birthdays:

100-500

AirPods
    applewatch

wish to receive: Rolls Royce Cullinan( just kidding)

Comment

The generic gifts seem pretty lame to me. Assuming they're not using you, most competent women value a handwritten postcard or the receipt or movie ticket stub from an early date over a Tiffany necklace.

I think you're better off doing a photo collage/mini album, "coupon" for massage or picnic or whatever, a fun dinner with a striptease joke for "dessert," or something similarly personalized. I did a bicycle planter this year (maybe $60 or so, she likes both of those things)… hits the spot much better than a $1000 generic laptop or even a $30k car or something. The goal is to say "I get you and I appreciate you," not "I am beneath you and making my payment on your continued company."

If you know your girl and she actually wants something straight off the Best Buy or Apple store shelf and likes to get that type of stuff from you (not just can't afford it and needs someone to buy it), then cool. You know her best, but she would be unlike the majority I've ever encountered and talked with. Most women will wear fancy expensive earrings or purses or use spendy gifted electronics a time or two, yet they cling to a simple letter, photo, or cheapo earrings from their late mom for decades. Sentiment is the word. Best of luck

Comment

I go to Macy's to purchase either rings/earrings/bracelets of precious grown stones. It's not fake jewelry. Chemically it's the same, just not dug out of third world mines. It's not uber overpriced gaudy jewelry where you would feel bad if you lose ie. But they're sparklely and pretty enough that my wife appreciates it(or she acts like it). Price spectrum can be all over the place but I zero down to $150-$300. Often times when I ring up the item at the major retailer, there's some event or holiday related 25-40% sale, which often times is an unexpected surprise .

Comment

<$100: small air compressor, very versatile, many many different uses.
          $100 < x < $500: 32" lcd tv just for my computer, I do a lot of work on the computer, the "screen estate" is understated.
          >$500: my "beater" car I bought for ~$900, I don't care what happens to it, scratches, dings, forget to lock it, much easier to drive compared to my "cream puff" cars.

Looking back, I don't think ^^^ this is useful for most wives.
          $1 saved = >$1 earned. ✓

Comment

My wife prefers some shared experience rather than a thing. The cheaper the better.

Giving things creates a cycle of tit-for-tat of trying to match spending on things that neither of us care to receive or will remember in the future.

Comment

Up to $500: please don’t default to flowers. I have no interest something that is already dying the moment it is presented. To me, imagination and/or personal touch means far more than the cost.
              Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Originally posted by jfoxcpacfp View Post
                Up to $500: please don’t default to flowers. I have no interest something that is already dying the moment it is presented. To me, imagination and/or personal touch means far more than the cost.
                This made me chuckle. I imagine you are a great person to work with - as in, regardless of what the actual work is, I continue to imagine you'd be a great colleague in the cubicle/booth/seat/truck/whatever next to me - you'd keep the day fun.
                Last edited by adventure; 06-27-2020, 06:20 AM. Reason: typo: I always forget the a in colleague

Comment

My wife is always cold and appreciates items that keep her warm. Robe slippers blankets. These things wear out from constant use and repeat washing from baby vomit so it is somewhat perpetual. I just get something a little nicer each time.

However the bedjet is probably one of the if not most expensive gift I have given her and she tells me it changed her life.

​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by JK View Post
                    My wife will be turning 34 in a couple months and it got me thinking about possible gift ideas. I'm curious from both husbands/wives...what were the best gifts you've received/given or wish you'd received in the following cost categories:

< $100 Category

$100-500 Category

$500+ Category
                    < $100 Category
                    Mug that keeps coffee warm - https://ember.com/products/ember-mug-2
                    Succulents/plants (alive!!! - jfoxcpacfp ) and cute pots for planting
                    new phone/wallet case

$100-500 Category
                    Oura Ring - https://ouraring.com/
                    Apple/Garmin/Smart watch
                    Apple airpods
                    New running shoes
                    Bose noise cancelling headphones. Great for plane trips.

$500+ Category
                    new phone

Comment

< $100 Category
                      -- whatever the spouse got.

$100-500 Category
                      -- whatever the spouse got

$500+ Category
                      -- house.

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post
                        My wife is always cold and appreciates items that keep her warm. Robe slippers blankets. These things wear out from constant use and repeat washing from baby vomit so it is somewhat perpetual. I just get something a little nicer each time.

However the bedjet is probably one of the if not most expensive gift I have given her and she tells me it changed her life.

​​​​​​
                        I've been looking at the BedJet for my wife's birthday coming up actually. What are your experiences with it? Did you get the dual climate version (essentially two units as far as I can tell)? Is it too loud?

Comment

Sounds silly, but here goes.
                          Buy her something she has wanted but never pulled the trigger. Sometimes it’s she can make do and chooses not to upgrade. The last two gifts I got my spouse pre-stay at home are priceless or at least get a hug and thank you once a week.
                          •A good mixer- replaced the hand and cheap ones. It’s amazing how many baked goods are a snap when mixing isn’t a chore.
                          •An up to date sewing machine-not a cheap one and not “Godzilla”. She’s made masks, surgery caps, starting on a blouse. Basically teaching herself and making useful stuff.
                          Also bought her a set of the ink art pens. If she has or did have a hobby, stock her up with upscale supplies.
                          •Jewelry works but it’s difficult to find the midpoint between useful and really pricey. I have popped for expensive earrings and necklaces. Seldom used, but she has them for occasions.

Comment

A handmade card with a heart felt note. You’re welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by adventure View Post

This made me chuckle. I imagine you are a great person to work with - as in, regardless of what the actual work is, I continue to imagine you'd be a great colleague in the cubicle/booth/seat/truck/whatever next to me - you'd keep the day fun.
                              Awww, thank you! And 5 extra points for adding the explanation for your edit
                              Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Working...
                              X