WSJ today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSJ today

The wall street Journal has an interesting article on the front page today.  I lists everyone employed by a not for profit business who makes over 1 million per year.  As you might expect lots of large hospital and med school Ceos.  Some are really surprising.  I found one person that I know.

I dislike that a relatively conservative paper found that newsworthy.
    Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

I think the point is that lots of "not for profit" institutions really do make quite a bit of profit for some people and perform very little charity. I have no problem with the docs on the list since they are likely working hard. Some large charities and museums surprised me.

Comment

I think the story I found most appalling was the ministry that made 8m in a year and paid its head minister and wife around 4m. That was something else.

Comment

I think a non-profit deserves the same quality of talent as a for-profit organization with a similar size and mission. The way they get that is by paying the talent the same. I don't think someone who agrees to work for a non-profit organization should be required to have a "lower income" motive. It's the organization that is supposed to be non-profit, not its employees.
          Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

My beef with non-profits is when they run for-profit businesses out of the marketplace. This is a big issue in Utah with IHC and the University system getting tax breaks and then expanding continually to gain market share by taking it away from the for-profit hospital systems (and docs.) My tax dollars are supporting my competitors. I think that's an issue.

Comment

I can't see the list without subscribing.  Do they include compensation above base pay?  I am almost interested enough to wander down to the library to check out how many of my health system's two dozen vice presidents made the cut!

Comment

I think a non-profit deserves the same quality of talent as a for-profit organization with a similar size and mission. The way they get that is by paying the talent the same. I don’t think someone who agrees to work for a non-profit organization should be required to have a “lower income” motive. It’s the organization that is supposed to be non-profit, not its employees.

You are right, of course, about talent, etc.  However, I have a hard time wrapping my head around Wolf of Wall Street style antics with a charity mission (I'm looking at you Wounded Warrior Project).  And that also opens up a can of worms about executive compensation in general.

Comment

I can’t see the list without subscribing.  Do they include compensation above base pay?  I am almost interested enough to wander down to the library to check out how many of my health system’s two dozen vice presidents made the cut!

For 501(c)(3) this info should be readily available on the internet.

Comment

I can’t see the list without subscribing.  Do they include compensation above base pay?  I am almost interested enough to wander down to the library to check out how many of my health system’s two dozen vice presidents made the cut!
                    Click to expand…

For 501(c)(3) this info should be readily available on the internet.

Interesting.  I found propublica and picked a random year.  The summary there says $1.9M for executive compensation, yet if you look at the 990 it is $3.9M (not counting other of $0.7M).  The CMO, CNO and others are not listed as highly compensated employees, plus there was an interim CEO that year with income listed as "0"...although he was a super nice guy, I suspect he wasn't working for zero.  Garbage in, garbage out.

Comment

My beef with non-profits is when they run for-profit businesses out of the marketplace. This is a big issue in Utah with IHC and the University system getting tax breaks and then expanding continually to gain market share by taking it away from the for-profit hospital systems (and docs.) My tax dollars are supporting my competitors. I think that’s an issue.

This happens a lot with hospitals, its pretty much easier to make money as a non profit hospital due to some of the rules. Doesnt seemt right.

Comment

What kind of tax break should do non-profits get ?

Comment

I could not post a link to the graphic because of the subscription thing.  The graphic posted base salary and total compensation.  The large local not for profit hospital in my area has run several fitness centers, independent imaging centers, and small hospitals out of business.  It also hurts when a big not for profit recruits your competition and guarantees their salary for some period or hires them out right.  I think the salaries of not for profit hospitals should be as easy to find as a publicly traded business. It does not mean the salary is wrong but since we the taxpayers support these institutions (by giving them tax-exempt status) we should have the figures.

Comment

If you know the name of the article and google it, you can usually pull it up through the back door. Share  hatton1?
                            Working to protect good doctors from bad advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Charity Officials Are Increasingly Receiving Million-Dollar Paydays is the title.  WSJ 3/6/17

Comment

Working...
                              X