Free Pass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Pass

Since this is a financial forum where free is one of the great words in its arsenal, let me introduce you to a free option for 2017

Free entry into Canadian National Parks. On Canada's 150th birthday,  all the national parks are free with this pass. Normally it is an expensive entry fee for each park but for this year everyone is free of charge to enter. For people who want to visit Banff or Jasper or any of the numerous Canadian parks, 2017 is the year to do it.

Here is the link to it

Now that is cool - thanks! I hope some forum members can take advantage of it!
    Working to protect good doctors from bad advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

I am going to take the other side and go "short" the free pass. Like last year's US NPS "100th anniversary" promotion, which cause a total madhouse at some of our US national parks, I expect that the free admission will drive more people into the Canadian national parks, too. I will return to Banff when the admission fee is triple the normal. (I would rather pay more and see fewer people.)

On the other hand, with the continued favorable exchange between the dollar and the Euro, travel to Europe has been on sale for several years, and the money saved is substantially more than with a free Canadian national park pass. I am just having trouble finding the right time and trip construction to make it back to the Old Country.

Comment

I am going to take the other side and go “short” the free pass. Like last year’s US NPS “100th anniversary” promotion, which cause a total madhouse at some of our US national parks, I expect that the free admission will drive more people into the Canadian national parks, too. I will return to Banff when the admission fee is triple the normal.  (I would rather pay more and see fewer people.)

On the other hand, with the continued favorable exchange between the dollar and the Euro, travel to Europe has been on sale for several years, and the money saved is substantially more than with a free Canadian national park pass. I am just having trouble finding the right time and trip construction to make it back to the Old Country.

lol, actually, you make a good point, but for residents...
        Working to protect good doctors from bad advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Thanks!  We already have plans to spend a couple days in Vancouver, so this might give us an opportunity for some free touristy stuff.  FWIW, the pass has free shipping too.

Vagabond, you're right of course that there will be a bump up in visitors.  However, I've only been to a handful of Canada's parks and from what I've seen, they're similar to the US...30 minutes away from the overlook and the crowds decline like an inverse logarithm.

Comment

Also, the USD is pretty strong against the loonie too!

Comment

people who want to visit Banff or Jasper

My wife and I drove this last summer (did the Ice Fields Parkway) and it's amazing and bucket-list-worthy.  Don't miss Maligne Lake up in Jasper!

Comment

Thanks!  We already have plans to spend a couple days in Vancouver, so this might give us an opportunity for some free touristy stuff.  FWIW, the pass has free shipping too.

Vagabond, you’re right of course that there will be a bump up in visitors.  However, I’ve only been to a handful of Canada’s parks and from what I’ve seen, they’re similar to the US…30 minutes away from the overlook and the crowds decline like an inverse logarithm.

I usually say that the crowd gets very thin 100 yards beyond any paved walkway, so I completely agree on that point. However, if you have trouble even getting to the trailhead and parking, it does not matter what does or does not goes on beyond the pavement.

That said, if you travel seasonally off peak or very early in the morning, you can largely have it all to yourself.

Comment

I thought this was going to be a different topic. ?

Comment

:lol:

Comment

Thanks for that...I'm relieved to know I wasn't the only one!!!

Comment

What a great day for a cheapskate:  I get my REI dividend letter the same day I get my free park pass from Canada!  Thanks again for the tip, Kamban.

Comment

What a great day for a cheapskate:  I get my REI dividend letter the same day I get my free park pass from Canada!  Thanks again for the tip, Kamban.

You just made my day!

I forgot it was that time of year!!

Comment

Update on a related topic.

The cost for a lifetime senior pass to the National Parks is set to increase from $10 to $80 on 8/28/17. I know many members here are below 62 years of age but for those few who are above that, it makes sense to get it before the 700% price increase. Since the online ordering has a backlog and costs an extra $10, those near a park can get it in person for $10.

My in-laws got theirs at Acadia National Park last week. It allows three extra adults and children under 16 in the same vehicle as the pass holder, to get in the park for free.

Comment

Hike one mile into the wilderness at any national park and there are virtually zero people. I just got back from Yosemite. The valley was PACKED. But our first night of backpacking was spent completely alone. Not a soul in sight. And we were only 5 miles from the road.

Comment

Working...
                              X