No announcement yet.

Personal cell number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a google voice number that I give out to patients that forwards to my cell phone. That way caller ID will come up with my GV number and I know it is either spam or a patient call.

Comment

During covid peak we were very short staffed etc and I started giving my cell out bc I thought it was not safe for someone w covid to not be able to call the office and let me know they were feeling worse etc. calls were just not being answered by our front desk bc they had a line of 10-20 people trying to check for testing etc. now 2yrs later I’m getting texts on weekends for ear pain, pink eye, xanax…for these I won’t respond till next business day and I’ll have my staff call them. Patients are slowly getting the hint. I have asked a few repeat offenders to “please call the office for refills/appts during normal business hours.”

Comment

Originally posted by Lithium View Post
        Every time a physician calls himself a provider, God kills a kitten.

Please think of the kittens.
        No a puppy , and he writes his obituary with puppy tears

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post

I have made it explicitly clear with my secretary that I should be interrupted when a physician calls looking to talk to me.
          One drug company found a frickin awesome way to get through to me: Dr Smith called asking for me. Patched through. Was Dr. Smith from India to tell me about a new drug. Jeez!

Comment

Originally posted by gap55u View Post

One drug company found a frickin awesome way to get through to me: Dr Smith called asking for me. Patched through. Was Dr. Smith from India to tell me about a new drug. Jeez!
            Ah yes, Dr. Smith of the Hyderabad Smiths?

Comment

Instant hang up or did you ream him out first?

Comment

Not interested, never call again, add to do not call list. I wish I’d remembered what company/drug.

Comment

Not interested, never call again, add to do not call list. I wish I’d remembered what company/drug.
                  I would not prescribe it out of spite!

Comment

Happened to me about 10-20 years ago when my front desk would say that Dr. Patel or your friend Patel is on the line wanting to speak to you. And it was a Patel the stock broker touting a hot new company's stock. After ti happened 2 times, I refused to take any calls unless I could recognize the name. I always asked them to leave their number and reason for their call in order for me to call back. Invariably they refused or hung up.

Comment

I would not prescribe it out of spite!
                      If it’s the best or most warranted drug or product, prescribe it (begrudgingly) because you’re looking out for the patient’s best interest.

If there’s a different prescription drug with comparable efficacy, order that instead. If there’s a generic that’s just as effective, order that unless there’s some crazy reason not to.

Comment

Originally posted by Hank View Post

If it’s the best or most warranted drug or product, prescribe it (begrudgingly) because you’re looking out for the patient’s best interest.

If there’s a different prescription drug with comparable efficacy, order that instead. If there’s a generic that’s just as effective, order that unless there’s some crazy reason not to.
                        In my experience if they are out peddling a drug it is usually something that has several equivalents and they are just trying to market their brand.

But honestly I have not seen or talked to a drug rep in years. Even before the pandemic. I would not agree to attend any meeting unless it was a novel drug and something I am likely to prescribe over generic equivalents. I don't need panara bad enough to hear about eliquis for the seventh time.

Comment

I gave mine out to select clinical trial subjects in the drug studies I ran; that way I could give directions as the study coordinator (with my PI’s blessing, of course).

For the monitoring studies, no way (we told them the symptoms to look for and those in monitoring had a family history of the condition in question).

Comment

I'm a PCP and there was a time in the beginning of my career that I gave out my number to a few select patients. And guess what? They called me when they were sick or needed clarity on the plan of care. Patient's perceive the quality of care as spectacular when they have easy access to you and it felt good to me to provide that level of care. But, for me, I learned quickly that this level of care is sustainable only in a lower volume practice with less medically and psychiatrically ill patients (concierge, anyone?). It's a complete set up for burnout to do otherwise, IMO. I enjoy medicine but I also enjoy my time after hours and on the weekends. There are some physicians who don't mind being frequently accessible and some carry on into their 70's and 80's in this manner, which is amazing to me. But that's not me and I tend to think it's not most physicians, for the long haul at least.

Comment

I've had that happen several times. I always ask them "you want to build a business relationship with me, but you want to start the relationship with a lie?"
                              Always silence or stuttering.

Comment

Put the phone down and continue on.
                                Do you miss landlines? Pressing the buttons you could actually play a tune. Da, da, dasaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Comment

Working...
                                X