Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you lost your medical job tomorrow...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you lost your medical job tomorrow...

This post is inspired by The Happy Philosopher's latest blog, which was effing outstanding.

While it sounds impossible (it really is not--docs lose their jobs for a myriad of reasons everyday), what would your immediate reaction be? What does the next day, week, month have in store for you? Just assume arrive at work and either the hospital or practice is burned to the ground or is closed, you get your walking papers, and it is a clean cut-- no loose ends, tails, expenses, or residual income. Just bye bye.

I'll post my thoughts later.

This post is inspired by The Happy Philosopher’s latest blog, which was effing outstanding.

While it sounds impossible (it really is not–docs lose their jobs for a myriad of reasons everyday), what would your immediate reaction be? What does the next day, week, month have in store for you? Just assume arrive at work and either the hospital or practice is burned to the ground or is closed, you get your walking papers, and it is a clean cut– no loose ends, tails, expenses, or residual income. Just bye bye.

I’ll post my thoughts later.

I'd mourn for a second and then pack my bags and go home.

I love what I do, I make a lot of money doing what I do, it isn't even that hard most of the time. But I'm forced to take a job far away from home to see the volume I currently see. It's a beautiful place, people vacation here all the time, people aim to retire here. But it isn't home to me.

Having built up a sizable stash for retirement (7 digits) before my mid 30s, I'd pack up and look for a job in the toxic wasteland (at least for doctors) that is California. Home sweet home

Comment

Go home and write a post about it. Like this one:

https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/i-lost-my-job/
      Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

I'd write a book and start a blog...and sue for VA benefits.

Oh, and I'd probably find a new job.

Comment

Short of saying "I'd rent another office", let's assume my something made it impossible to practice in my state. I lost my license, maybe. I am tempted to say I'd move closer to my family in a lower COL area and try to live off savings. I'd probably try to get licensed there (in PA), but the idea of getting a job or rebuilding a practice....I'm not sure I'm up for it. Maybe I'd try to build a part time small practice.  I might just to make due with less.
          My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFF...MwBiAAKd5N8qPg

Comment

go 100% into online e-commerce.

Comment

In the past 4 months I've repeatedly thought that it is really unfortunate that I love my job so much. If I didn't, I would quit for 2 years to stay home with baby. Instead I'm working very part time hours and managing my patients as best as I can as I slowly increase the time I'm at work. So if I lost the job for some reason, I'd feel very sad for my patients as they would be hard pressed to find a new provider very quickly. But for myself I'd do a little happy dance and stop working for the 2 years before looking for something else. In the meantime I'd work at the free clinic once a month to keep up my skills and license and all that jazz.

If I had to quit medicine completely, I would consider being a professional organizer, interior designer, real estate agent, or teacher.

Comment

Well if you would have asked me this question a year ago it would have induced panic. That was before I got my finances straight thanks in no small part to this site. Fortunately now I would be able to take it in stride knowing that my emergency funds would keep me afloat for easily a year.
                What would I do? Start looking for a new job asap. I'm too young to not be working a lot and making as much money as possible. So I'd quickly find more work. Hospitalists are fortunately in high demand so I'm sure it wouldnt take me long.

Comment

Go home and ski.  Pick my kid up from school.  Make a nice meal for dinner.

Repeat for awhile.

Consider maybe eventually thinking about discussing the theoretical possibility of some day perhaps conceivably picking up a few locums gigs to make some spending money.  Maybe.

Comment

Definitely take some time off and figure out what I want to do when I grow up.

I'd probably end up finding some locums work and pick up a handful of shifts a month.

Comment

Full time YouTube video creator and maybe find a cozy stand alone ED for living expenses.

Comment

Fully retire.  Perhaps sell my in town house and move to he lake full time

Comment

My first emotion would be one of relief. I am not sure whether I no longer like my job or my field, but I am close enough to walking away that I might just do that. I would go home and open a really excellent bottle of Barolo that I have been saving for the right occasion.

In the next month or so, I would call some friends in my field to see who could use me on a part time basis. I think that going 60 to zero by slamming on the breaks is not a good fit for me. I would prefer a smoother glide into my next phase of life (I shudder to use the word retirement) and need some time to figure out what is next.

While I do not wish misfortune on my hospital, my colleagues, or my partners, a sudden catastrophic event (like losing the contract) might be the kick in the ****************** that I need to move forward. You know, "the longer you stay, the longer you stay", the House of God reference, which is applicable in so many life situations.

Comment

While I do not wish misfortune on my hospital, my colleagues, or my partners, a sudden catastrophic event (like losing the contract) might be the kick in the ****************** that I need to move forward. You know, “the longer you stay, the longer you stay”, the House of God reference, which is applicable in so many life situations.

Exactly.  Never put words to it, but that sums me up.  All the BS that keeps getting added on each year is like a death from a thousand cuts.  Why would this little cut be the straw that breaks the camel's back?  But decapitation, now THAT would be a different.

Comment

would cut discretionary spending, then spend about 7 months managing the homestead/property and traveling around the country camping, backpacking, hiking, canoeing. At the end of summer I'd put the kids back in school and get another job, probably something in telepsych so I never had to commute again.

Comment

Working...
                              X