Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Private school -COVID 19

Hello,

Wanted to check with forum members to see what their pvt school is doing with tuition.

For this academic year, they are putting in efforts for online teaching , but obviously content is not the same and we end up doing all the work

Anyway , this year is almost over

For next year, they have told us that tuition with this year’s increase will remain the same .

I thought at least they will not increase the tuition. I am not sure how school will look in coming academic year . If we have a surge, they might close it again or might not even open it in fall.

I understand the views of many forum members regarding the pvt school . So my question is for parents who believe in pvt school education

Thanks

Are you talking elementary / high school or medical school or undergrad?
    If K-12, then I would take them off private school and save money. I had a kid in private school through 5th grade. If this had happened when she was there, for the coming year she would have been in our local public school. i don't see myself paying $1500 per month for online private school education.

Comment

They still have bills and salaries to pay. Our daughter's school hasn't mentioned anything about partial refunds or decreased tuition.

Comment

I haven't gotten any taxes back for public school.

Comment

Originally posted by southerndoc View Post
          They still have bills and salaries to pay. Our daughter's school hasn't mentioned anything about partial refunds or decreased tuition.
          I understand about their bills and salaries. But if I am seeing decreased number of patients with lesser revenue and paying my employees at the same time their usual wages, I may have to find ways to cut expenses. Since I am still paying for public education with my state and property taxes, why not make use of it.

Comment

We are entering senior year Pvt school. With class size average 12, social distancing within the classes themselves are going to be relatively achievable next year. We fully anticipate inclass instruction next year. A little more challenging with science labs probably will be present and computer and things like robotics where interaction and fomites involved

The ability for public schools to achieve this with any measurable social distancing is Herculean. Not only that, the general attitude to social distancing of our public school kids basically sucks and that's a top performing public school too.

So my daughter will remain in Pvt school with full anticipation of on campus instruction

Comment

Thanks all.

Kamban: Thanks, Elementary. If it is online next year, I will not be justify the expense
              Southerndoc: I didn't expect decrease, but also do not expect them to increase it as well, but looks like they are a lot of rich people whom pandemic hasn't affected( very obvious in school online meetings).
              Lordosis: You do realize that we also pay taxes for public schools
              StartTrekDoc: I do agree with you, but our class size, approaches 18-20, ( tuition roughly 16 K/year) for each kid. If they are open like pre-COVID era, I have no problem paying, but if they are doing this online, I don't intend to pay for younger one. Older one going into 5th grade, I might need to think twice before switching school for 1 year

Comment

Originally posted by Kamban View Post

I understand about their bills and salaries. But if I am seeing decreased number of patients with lesser revenue and paying my employees at the same time their usual wages, I may have to find ways to cut expenses. Since I am still paying for public education with my state and property taxes, why not make use of it.
                If I was managing the school and can retain a few more students by reducing or not increasing the tuition , I would do that

i just cannot imagine that most of the parents are still making the same salary and think some would
                Drop out ( although it does not reflect in conversations or online meetings ).

Comment

Rule of thumb. Well to do people don't like to appear poor or struggling. It's the daily workers on the edges that will become MIA from the schools and more often than not they are the ones that really bring the diversity and vibrancy of a private institution.

This is where the school really digs in deep and actually raid the endowment

Comment

Originally posted by StarTrekDoc View Post
                    Rule of thumb. Well to do people don't like to appear poor or struggling. It's the daily workers on the edges that will become MIA from the schools and more often than not they are the ones that really bring the diversity and vibrancy of a private institution.

This is where the school really digs in deep and actually raid the endowment
                    You are absolutely right

Comment

Originally posted by StarTrekDoc View Post
                      We are entering senior year Pvt school. With class size average 12, social distancing within the classes themselves are going to be relatively achievable next year. We fully anticipate inclass instruction next year. A little more challenging with science labs probably will be present and computer and things like robotics where interaction and fomites involved

The ability for public schools to achieve this with any measurable social distancing is Herculean. Not only that, the general attitude to social distancing of our public school kids basically sucks and that's a top performing public school too.

So my daughter will remain in Pvt school with full anticipation of on campus instruction
                      Class size 12 and in school tuition - I would do it.

In fact my daughter had only 2 classmates during her 5th grade and almost had one on one private tuition. But too few in number led to lack of social interaction among peers ( other 2 being boys) at school and we wanted that, since she has no sibling at home. We did not want her to start being an adult too early in life. Luckily her middle school had 25 students and all were nerdy people like her, so she fit right in like a glove, with all her idiosyncrasies. :-)

Comment

The private school my son attended (graduated in 2017) sent out an email about a month ago that tuition would be decreased by $2000.

The competing private school in town was mentioned in a recent NYT article for receiving $2.5M in PPP money. Apparently, their $54M endowment has lost 20% of its value.

Comment

Originally posted by VagabondMD View Post
                          The private school my son attended (graduated in 2017) sent out an email about a month ago that tuition would be decreased by $2000.

The competing private school in town was mentioned in a recent NYT article for receiving $2.5M in PPP money. Apparently, their $54M endowment has lost 20% of its value.
                          I think that is a sensible thing to do. If everyone is taking a paycut, why can’t the school employees as well. Or at least don’t increase the tuition .

Anyway, we don’t have to send the kids to pvt school . If school remains online, I don’t think it will make a big difference.

Comment

Originally posted by uksho View Post

I think that is a sensible thing to do. If everyone is taking a paycut, why can’t the school employees as well. Or at least don’t increase the tuition .

Anyway, we don’t have to send the kids to pvt school . If school remains online, I don’t think it will make a big difference.
                            From what I have observed, the private schools here have a much more robust remote learning experience than the public schools. We live in the 2nd best school district in the state (has been ranked #1 at times), and over the course of my daughter’s public school career, it has matched the quality of offerings and education of my son’s private school experience. (One major difference is that the private school handles anything that involves parents MUCH better, including college counseling, communications for whenever a problem arises, open houses, etc.)

However, the pandemic has demonstrated another difference. The private schools (and this includes my old school in a different city) have online live classes, replacing the in person classes, with resumption of high expectations for work and achievement. My daughter’s top public school posts daily or weekly assignments with limited expectations and about an hour per day of effort required. She is a high school senior and one assignment was to count the number of light bulbs in our house. She has had an hour or two of live class, since this began, which has been more like a hangout than a class. It’s like night and day

Comment

Originally posted by VagabondMD View Post

From what I have observed, the private schools here have a much more robust remote learning experience than the public schools. We live in the 2nd best school district in the state (has been ranked #1 at times), and over the course of my daughter’s public school career, it has matched the quality of offerings and education of my son’s private school experience. (One major difference is that the private school handles anything that involves parents MUCH better, including college counseling, communications for whenever a problem arises, open houses, etc.)

However, the pandemic has demonstrated another difference. The private schools (and this includes my old school in a different city) have online live classes, replacing the in person classes, with resumption of high expectations for work and achievement. My daughter’s top public school posts daily or weekly assignments with limited expectations and about an hour per day of effort required. She is a high school senior and one assignment was to count the number of light bulbs in our house. She has had an hour or two of live class, since this began, which has been more like a hangout than a class. It’s like night and day
                              Nice I helped my kindergartener with that assignment. Don't forget the ones in the fridge and oven.

Comment

Working...
                              X