Psychiatry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Turf Doc View Post

If you care about lifestyle and money, derm seems like a pretty solid choice. This whole thread was weirdly critical of her imo
    Derm, path, rads, gas - keep these in mind if you want high r/r of training vs comp & lifestyle. Psych decent too if you practice in posh area.

Comment

Originally posted by xraygoggles View Post

Derm, path, rads, gas - keep these in mind if you want high r/r of training vs comp & lifestyle. Psych decent too if you practice in posh area.
      Yep, im real interested in rads. I'd imagine derm is "better" in regards to those factors but it seems less interesting to me + i dont want to deal with trying to match that lol. thats why I'm especially interested in how the OP seemingly switched to derm successfully late in med school

Comment

Originally posted by Turf Doc View Post

Yep, im real interested in rads. I'd imagine derm is "better" in regards to those factors but it seems less interesting to me + i dont want to deal with trying to match that lol. thats why I'm especially interested in how the OP seemingly switched to derm successfully late in med school
        She was the single best applicant in the history of applicants. Thought she made that clear.

Comment

”This is 100% correct. My interest isn't maximum income for minimal work because if it were, then I would have gone for derm, no offense to derm. I am fortunate enough to have derm stats. I just feel like it is easier to be okay with making less if you are absolutely in love with what you're doing because it fulfills you in other ways, and I don't have that.
          In for a penny. In for a pound.”

Comment

Originally posted by fatlittlepig View Post

you should have fallen in love with orthopedics or something. rumor has it people who are obsessed with achieving a certain salary will not be happy.
            ICBM out of the tube and on its way to target.

Comment

Does the OP know about PE's foot in the Derm door?

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post
                Is that what the MBA is for?

Comment

Originally posted by Wave View Post

Never hated the job, still doing it part-time - guess I just wanted something more, and like I said, I enjoyed medical school so I don't feel like it was all lost. I have talked to a career coach, not sure it helped much. Some people here are also willing to help me figure out if there is more for me in medicine, so fingers crossed.
                  My PhD is in synthetic and physical organic chemistry. One of my biggest mistakes in life was closing the door on pursuing professional opportunities in that field (five years of bench work plus a postdoc).

Medicine is a huge universe; try not to limit yourself too much or you might miss out on something pretty fulfilling. And by the time you learn about what you missed, it likely is too late to course correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Wave View Post

I did some research in my neck of the woods based on the advice of a poster here, and i think 200-250/hr is the going rate in my neck of the woods. The bigger issue I have uncovered during some of my private discussions here is I want a 7on/7off kinda gig in order to manage some of my non-medical responsibilities, and that raises issues of continuity esp OP but it has been enlightening to parse out my thoughts and figure out what the devils are in the details.
                    Maybe I missed this in a previous post, but what are your “non-medical responsibilities”?

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post

Is that what the MBA is for?
                      Probably to facilitate a move from clinic to the PE front office…

Comment

Originally posted by F0017S0 View Post

Probably to facilitate a move from clinic to the PE front office…
                        Different career. Dealing with cantankerous physicians might be more job satisfaction than dealing with cantankerous patients. PE is not easy, nor is clinical practice. Oh by the way, PE has the same “partner issues” as medicine. Everyone wants more money and better life style.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post

Different career. Dealing with cantankerous physicians might be more job satisfaction than dealing with cantankerous patients. PE is not easy, nor is clinical practice. Oh by the way, PE has the same “partner issues” as medicine. Everyone wants more money and better life style.
                          Diffrent strokes for diffrent folks. Did not mean to imply PE is “easy”, though I think it is easier than wrangling patients to follow your advice. Likely more cushy…

Comment

Originally posted by F0017S0 View Post

My PhD is in synthetic and physical organic chemistry.
                            You did a PhD?

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post
                              Meh - no biggie - he/she will still have a cushy life with high comp.

PE is suboptimal sure, but not the end of the world. Also, it's nowhere near as ubiquitous in derm vs other fields.

Comment

Originally posted by xraygoggles View Post

Meh - no biggie - he/she will still have a cushy life with high comp.

PE is suboptimal sure, but not the end of the world. Also, it's nowhere near as ubiquitous in derm vs other fields.
                                Plus you can come up with reasons the sky is falling in basically every field. And in the ones where it's not falling, people generally dont feel like it was that great to begin with

Comment

Working...
                                X