Psychiatry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wave View Post

Haha, i know. tsk tsk. first world problems. I'll live.
    I wasn’t being sarcastic. I do feel bad for you, you seem unfocused.

Comment

Originally posted by fatlittlepig View Post

I wasn’t being sarcastic. I do feel bad for you, you seem unfocused.
      you have hurt my feelings
      In for a penny. In for a pound.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamban View Post

I think we have beaten this topic to death.
        My bad then, thanks! and yes we have but I'd like to hear more...especially via PM as those have been particularly detailed.

Comment

Originally posted by resident_1 View Post
          This post is legitimate, and psychiatry is nice field to make good money.
          Psychiatry is quite versatile (can have good income with relatively low regular 8hour/day work with no call). Or can make quite a bit of money.

Jobs that pay high money come with more risk:
          1. State mental hospitals (with overtime)
          2. Forensic mental hospitals
          California pays quite high.
          here is a job $200/hr, no weekends 8-4pm,
          https://www.doccafe.com/job/physicia...ility-200-hour
          3. Running your own Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation Clinic (along with med management and psychologists)
          4. telepsych to prisons
          Ohio: psychiatrist is top earning employee $456k in 2016.
          https://www.daytondailynews.com/news...LntjzCeJGF3fJ/
          I did some research in my neck of the woods based on the advice of a poster here, and i think 200-250/hr is the going rate in my neck of the woods. The bigger issue I have uncovered during some of my private discussions here is I want a 7on/7off kinda gig in order to manage some of my non-medical responsibilities, and that raises issues of continuity esp OP but it has been enlightening to parse out my thoughts and figure out what the devils are in the details.

Comment

I did some research in my neck of the woods based on the advice of a poster here, and i think 200-250/hr is the going rate in my neck of the woods. The bigger issue I have uncovered during some of my private discussions here is I want a 7on/7off kinda gig in order to manage some of my non-medical responsibilities, and that raises issues of continuity esp OP but it has been enlightening to parse out my thoughts and figure out what the devils are in the details.
            If your goal is to make 95+ percentile income as an inpatient doc, you're much better off in a compensation model based on production/RVU's in which you bill on complexity. The income you're shooting for working every other week translates to about 40 RVU's a day, which is tail end of the bell curve level of efficiency. The problem with this is that in many facilities you can't always control for the volume (recently my unit has been half full).

Comment

Originally posted by Lithium View Post

If your goal is to make 95+ percentile income as an inpatient doc, you're much better off in a compensation model based on production/RVU's in which you bill on complexity. The income you're shooting for working every other week translates to about 40 RVU's a day, which is tail end of the bell curve level of efficiency. The problem with this is that in many facilities you can't always control for the volume (recently my unit has been half full).
              Fair. My guess is 7/7 off isn't very common in psych or at least not where I hope to practice someday but there are a few such IP gigs here that are around 400k plus bennies but I don't know the details. I do know the area/hospital though, it can't be that busy - at least as far as my student eyes can see. My guess is it may be a bit difficult to get people here so they are willing to pay more. Now adding a medical directorship that I may or may not be able to do with the MBA seems to add about 15-20k a month so I get to that 500k. Sounds great now, who knows how it would be when I'm in the thick of it.

Comment

Fair. My guess is 7/7 off isn't very common in psych or at least not where I hope to practice someday but there are a few such IP gigs here that are around 400k plus bennies but I don't know the details. I do know the area/hospital though, it can't be that busy - at least as far as my student eyes can see. My guess is it may be a bit difficult to get people here so they are willing to pay more. Now adding a medical directorship that I may or may not be able to do with the MBA seems to add about 15-20k a month so I get to that 500k. Sounds great now, who knows how it would be when I'm in the thick of it.
                7 on 7 off is pretty common in psych IP. That pay is extremely uncommon, every time I see something like that recruiters are baiting "total compensation" and inflating it with all the benefits including possibly even a pension. Take a look around on Practicelink or another job board if you haven't already. Also, if you expect to earn 15-20k a month, that sounds like half-time administration at the very least. At my former outfit I believe they paid $125 an hour for admin time and were nonplussed when no one wanted to be dept chair. Medical director jobs aren't hard to find, and most won't care if you have an MBA. Maybe there are some unicorns out there that would treat you as part of the leadership team rather than having you there as a JCAHO requirement.

Comment

40 wRVUs a day, no thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by resident_1 View Post
                    This post is legitimate, and psychiatry is nice field to make good money.
                    Psychiatry is quite versatile (can have good income with relatively low regular 8hour/day work with no call). Or can make quite a bit of money.

Jobs that pay high money come with more risk:
                    1. State mental hospitals (with overtime)
                    2. Forensic mental hospitals
                    California pays quite high.
                    here is a job $200/hr, no weekends 8-4pm,
                    https://www.doccafe.com/job/physicia...ility-200-hour
                    3. Running your own Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation Clinic (along with med management and psychologists)
                    4. telepsych to prisons
                    Ohio: psychiatrist is top earning employee $456k in 2016.
                    https://www.daytondailynews.com/news...LntjzCeJGF3fJ/
                    Yeah I forgot about forensics. Working at prisons is generally actually safer than in a clinic, so I have heard.
                    Also forgot about forensic work in the courtroom. I get the impression that you can make a LOT doing that. Would need a forensic fellowship and may be difficult to get the $$$ work initially.

Comment

7 on 7 off is pretty common in psych IP. That pay is extremely uncommon, every time I see something like that recruiters are baiting "total compensation" and inflating it with all the benefits including possibly even a pension. Take a look around on Practicelink or another job board if you haven't already. Also, if you expect to earn 15-20k a month, that sounds like half-time administration at the very least. At my former outfit I believe they paid $125 an hour for admin time and were nonplussed when no one wanted to be dept chair. Medical director jobs aren't hard to find, and most won't care if you have an MBA. Maybe there are some unicorns out there that would treat you as part of the leadership team rather than having you there as a JCAHO requirement.
                      Something to keep in mind. The 400k hospital info I got from people who work there. I am sure they are nuances I didn't ask about because this is a future me problem, but the main one I got was preference for people who would take admin stuff and preference for CAP or geriatrics fellowship trained. They were also handwavy about supervision requirements but I didn't get into that because i just wanted general info. I guess the TLDR is that is is relatively straightforward (not back breaking) to make 500k in psych, most psychiatrist don't actually want to if it means changing where they work or their number of hours but for those that want to, they can.

Comment

reread some of my posts here and lol. couldn't have been more obnoxious if i tried lol anyway, finishing said md/mba this week and ended up matching derm. thanks to everyone who helped and gave advice, especially privately.

Comment

reread some of my posts here and lol. couldn't have been more obnoxious if i tried lol anyway, finishing said md/mba this week and ended up matching derm. thanks to everyone who helped and gave advice, especially privately.
                          When did you decide to go for derm?

Comment

Originally posted by Turf Doc View Post

When did you decide to go for derm?
                            when they realized all they cared about was money

Comment

Originally posted by Craigslist View Post

when they realized all they cared about was money
                              Not just money - lifestyle & money. Prolly a smart move tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by xraygoggles View Post

Not just money - lifestyle & money. Prolly a smart move tbh.
                                If you care about lifestyle and money, derm seems like a pretty solid choice. This whole thread was weirdly critical of her imo

Comment

Working...
                                X