Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please give me your details on biking to work

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by burritos View Post

    When I talk with mountain bikers many have(as I have had) an anxiety with cars. This danger is real and proximate but can be mitigated with good street awareness. On the flip side, many pure cyclists have a nervousness of MTBing. They worry about riding over irregular terrain with obstacles and crashing on mountain trails. Also legitimate concerns, as all my wipeouts have been on trails.
    I have been spoiled by bike paths for too long, its very freeing. Roads where I am are just awful now, narrow, no shoulder, ditches. I run now.

    Comment


    • Why are mountain bikes so much cheaper then road bikes? Seems counter intuitive.

      Comment


      • Seriously, be careful out there. My father has always been an avid biker and has completed several Ironman races. In the past, he would drive out to rural areas to only bike on very wide-open roads on the weekends. One day he was hit by a vehicle that fled the scene. He laid there until another driver eventually pulled over to help him and take him to the hospital where he underwent multiple operations. They never found the car that hit him. Now, for the past fifteen years he only bikes on a stationary in the garage except for race days. In his opinion, it’s just not worth the risk no matter how safe you try to be. He rages whenever he sees anyone biking on a busy street during peak driving hours.

        Comment


        • Share the road!


          Seriously we need better infrastructure for biking.

          I remember seeing all the maniacs biking in Amsterdam. I do not know how they did not crash. There were way more bikes than cars but there were still a lot of cars.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by burritos View Post

            When I talk with mountain bikers many have(as I have had) an anxiety with cars. This danger is real and proximate but can be mitigated with good street awareness. On the flip side, many pure cyclists have a nervousness of MTBing. They worry about riding over irregular terrain with obstacles and crashing on mountain trails. Also legitimate concerns, as all my wipeouts have been on trails.
            I love mountain biking, and will bike on some really steep and rocky terrain before I’d even consider riding on a road with cars.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by HikingDO View Post

              I love mountain biking, and will bike on some really steep and rocky terrain before I’d even consider riding on a road with cars.
              Commuting and recreation by bike are two completely different activities.

              https://forum.whitecoatinvestor.com/...top-this/page3

              https://news.sky.com/story/in-china-...enace-11191053

              I had the opportunity to WALK in an ocean of bike traffic in Beijing. At large intersections, it is scary. Bike riders out of necessity are aggressive. You literally feel like you are crossing the street at the start of the Boston Marathon and a flood of bikes is coming straight at you. A tidal wave of humanity on wheels crashing towards you. We were told keep your pace, they will miss you (maybe). Of course we use an old lady crossing the street as a shield.

              Driving in Boston was tough. Commuter bikes don’t tolerate traffic jams. No rules. Path of least resistance. Same experience when walking.

              The point is cars, bikes and pedestrians all seem to think they have the right of way or at a minimum think a rolling stop or their progress should have priority. Mixed use is a problem.
              Congestion is always a problem.

              Comment


              • Yep, there is no way around the fact you are just increasing the N of opportunity when you're out there with vehicles, at night is just a recipe for disaster. I love bike only paths, not here, so I run, its not worth it and I have at least 30k lifetime bike miles I love it.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Tim View Post

                  Commuting and recreation by bike are two completely different activities.

                  https://forum.whitecoatinvestor.com/...top-this/page3

                  https://news.sky.com/story/in-china-...enace-11191053

                  I had the opportunity to WALK in an ocean of bike traffic in Beijing. At large intersections, it is scary. Bike riders out of necessity are aggressive. You literally feel like you are crossing the street at the start of the Boston Marathon and a flood of bikes is coming straight at you. A tidal wave of humanity on wheels crashing towards you. We were told keep your pace, they will miss you (maybe). Of course we use an old lady crossing the street as a shield.

                  Driving in Boston was tough. Commuter bikes don’t tolerate traffic jams. No rules. Path of least resistance. Same experience when walking.

                  The point is cars, bikes and pedestrians all seem to think they have the right of way or at a minimum think a rolling stop or their progress should have priority. Mixed use is a problem.
                  Congestion is always a problem.
                  Wow, that China scene sounds awesome. Guess shoaling is not rudeness, but a necessary trait.

                  When I drove in in NYC 20 years ago, I learned that to maneuver in between the avenues, yes, look right or left, but checking the blindspot was an unnecessary step. If you're in someone's blind spot, just assume someone is moving into it cause no one gives a craap. And if you're trying to obey all rules and be courteous, you're just being a nicehole.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Lordosis View Post
                    Share the road!


                    Seriously we need better infrastructure for biking.

                    I remember seeing all the maniacs biking in Amsterdam. I do not know how they did not crash. There were way more bikes than cars but there were still a lot of cars.
                    Talk to your City Planners at Town Hall Meetings about bike lanes, etc

                    Comment


                    • https://bikeleague.org/bikemonth#:~:...%2C%20May%2021!

                      National bike to work week is next week for those who care.

                      Comment


                      • Lesson learned--Several years ago I decided to bike to work. I had a new clinic, nice bike path 10 miles to and from work and bought a souped up electric bike from China. Enjoyed the ride to and from work immensely. I looked forward to the bike commute as the highlight of my day. Unfortunately--my mind could wander. I thought I was being overly cautious with bike safety but one day was not focusing on the ride as much as I should. I was at an intersection of a street with a stop light that intersected with the bike trail. I had the green light, and even stopped to make sure the driver turning right into me was stopped at the light and not turn into me--but didn't make eye contact with him to verify this. Going into the intersection he suddenly accelerated into a right turn and I experienced the undercarriage of a pickup truck. Busted bike, busted shoulder, busted schedule that day.

                        Stopped commuting by bike for sure, but now a few years later I'm back to commuting in a new city, new position. Good bike trail to work again but I wait at any intersection and make sure I make eye contact with a turning driver. Everyday there's 1-2 episodes of a driver not honoring the walk signal and turning into my right of way, and I just stop and wait until I'm sure the coast is clear. I stay on the bike path and avoid riding in traffic. Commuting is enjoyable again.

                        I've personally known 1 doctor who died biking and 3 others that had bad bike/vehicle accidents--one a surgeon that took 1 year to recover.

                        Comment


                        • SunShineBottom Wow! Kudos for getting back on the bike after your past accident. I feel trepidation when I think of my hubby biking to work in South LA side street/"highway." (although he hasn't ridden in a while). I ride with two kids on the back of my ebike and I try to stick out for cars (orange bike; yellow vest and helmet) but you never know. I also think my odds of being rear ended on the highway are good since I have been rear-ended at least twice in past 10 yrs from distracted drivers. What bike do you ride now? how do you like it? Any special "souped" up gear you recommend for the ride?

                          Comment


                          • Juiced Bikes--Cross-Current. This was one of the earlier e-Bike companies and they have great bikes at modest prices.

                            Comment


                            • UPDATE

                              Now that I am using old rusty it is falling apart faster then I can keep it together. I bought another cheap mongoose mountain bike for $150. Tremendous improvement! Again I could care less about performance and even comfort is not that much of an issue since it is a short ride.

                              It is amazing at how quickly I am noticing improvement in my stamina. Obviously these early gains are improving efficiency and muscle memory but it is still nice. I really enjoy the days I can ride and I am disappointed if I cannot for some reason or another. I wish I have done this years ago...

                              First off thank you burritos for starting this thread which I am sure helped motivate me to actually start this and everyone else for their support!

                              Second, If there is anyone who could make this work in their life; It is awesome! Try it out!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Lordosis View Post
                                UPDATE

                                Now that I am using old rusty it is falling apart faster then I can keep it together. I bought another cheap mongoose mountain bike for $150. Tremendous improvement! Again I could care less about performance and even comfort is not that much of an issue since it is a short ride.

                                It is amazing at how quickly I am noticing improvement in my stamina. Obviously these early gains are improving efficiency and muscle memory but it is still nice. I really enjoy the days I can ride and I am disappointed if I cannot for some reason or another. I wish I have done this years ago...

                                First off thank you burritos for starting this thread which I am sure helped motivate me to actually start this and everyone else for their support!

                                Second, If there is anyone who could make this work in their life; It is awesome! Try it out!
                                I know it's late in the game for 2021, but you could think about doing something like this next year: https://www.ptny.org/cycle-the-erie-...nual-bike-tour

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X