Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please give me your details on biking to work

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by fatlittlepig View Post
    My kids wear, I don’t. I prob would if I were commuting.
    I was the same way until I read the trauma scan on a guy who works in my department. He had a horrible looking head ct with multiple bleeds. If I can lower my chance of that happening to myself by wearing a helmet then sign me up.

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by fatlittlepig View Post
      People wear helmets?
      Mountain biking for 20 years now. Have had 3 concussions from falls(none in the last 14 years since kids and being more careful). Generally, the falls happen when you don't expect it.

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by goldenchimpy View Post

        I was the same way until I read the trauma scan on a guy who works in my department. He had a horrible looking head ct with multiple bleeds. If I can lower my chance of that happening to myself by wearing a helmet then sign me up.
        Was that road biking or mountain biking?

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by fatlittlepig View Post
          My kids wear, I don’t. I prob would if I were commuting.
          I would encourage every adult to wear a helmet when biking. If you don't, you are playing Russian Roulette with motorists.
          Most drivers do not like sharing the road with bicycle riders.
          By wearing one, you would also set a good example for your kids.
          Ok, off my soapbox now.

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by burritos View Post

            Was that road biking or mountain biking?
            Road bike on a quiet neighborhood street near his house. It sounded like a blind curve was involved and someone driving way too fast.

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by burritos View Post

              Generally, the falls happen when you don't expect it.
              I would hope so. If I expected a fall I would avoid it.

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by burritos View Post

                Mountain biking for 20 years now. Have had 3 concussions from falls(none in the last 14 years since kids and being more careful). Generally, the falls happen when you don't expect it.

                When I first started cycling, I recall an experienced cyclists decided to ride her bike to a local store. For some reason, she decided to ride without her helmet "since I'm only going around the block". She ended up being involved in a slow speed crash and hit her head very hard on the sidewalk. She suffered very bad brain trauma and was in rehab for a year. Not sure what is going on with her now.

                Its the slow speed crashes that are usually more dangerous. At a higher speed, you may get a broken clavicle but its usually a lot of road rash....but I'm talking racing here, mostly

                Comment


                • #68
                  Does anyone here use a full carbon fiber road bike for commuting? Is that overkill?

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by burritos View Post
                    Does anyone here use a full carbon fiber road bike for commuting? Is that overkill?


                    When I do commute to work by bike, I use my full carbon gravel bike. The wheels are 700x38 tubeless. Not as fast of a ride but I feel more secure if I have to cut thru grass/dirt.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by burritos View Post
                      Does anyone here use a full carbon fiber road bike for commuting? Is that overkill?
                      I have a carbon road bike, but it is definitely not my commuter bike.

                      I love the road bike for my long, fast weekend rides in the country, but it is definitely not a good bike in the city. The riding position is too low on the road bike - in the city I prefer to be more upright to see traffic and pedestrians. I use flat pedals in the city to be able to put my foot down quickly at stop signs and for obstacles vs having tight cleats on the road bike. A good carbon road bike does not carry panniers, but my commuter bike can haul a load. I have a bell to warn pedestrians on my commuter bike, but I wouldn't be caught dead riding a road bike with a bell.
                      Last edited by Neuro-doc; 05-31-2020, 09:42 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by burritos View Post
                        Does anyone here use a full carbon fiber road bike for commuting? Is that overkill?
                        It is definitely not overkill to have a full carbon road bike.

                        As has been previously stated on this forum, the correct number of bikes to own is n+1 where n is the number of bikes currently owned. Road bikes are things of beauty and speed, and should not be wasted on a commute to work. Have a different bike for your daily ride to the clinic.

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Originally posted by Neuro-doc View Post

                          It is definitely not overkill to have a full carbon road bike.

                          As has been previously stated on this forum, the correct number of bikes to own is n+1 where n is the number of bikes currently owned. Road bikes are things of beauty and speed, and should not be wasted on a commute to work. Have a different bike for your daily ride to the clinic.
                          I have one alum road bike. Been commuting on it for over a month now and I love it. I've put more miles on the bike this month than I did the previous 15 years. Thought I would be scared of cars, I discovered I'm not. Ever since the trails have been closed, road biking has replaced my mountain biking. It's actually more enjoyable, though it could just be a newness thing. So you're saying get a full carbon but don't use it for commuting? Spend the coin, but just use it for weekend trips. As of right now, commuting for me is fun. So far I look forward to it though I could see it getting old.

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            It's been a year. As a physician to any other physician(or others with high achieving personality traits) who have or are considering bike commuting, I recommend it. Best low cost convenient life hack decision I've made in a long time. On par with IF. I would say complimentary.

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              I have always thought about biking to work, not having a shower is a negative , at least for the first few patients of the day. But most important I thought it might actually be a negative on good health due to the roads traveled and cars on the way to work, maybe I will look for an electric bike that can go faster.

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Originally posted by Random1 View Post
                                I have always thought about biking to work, not having a shower is a negative , at least for the first few patients of the day. But most important I thought it might actually be a negative on good health due to the roads traveled and cars on the way to work, maybe I will look for an electric bike that can go faster.
                                I was concerned about these issues for 20 years before I finally went for it. My main regret is that those hang ups kept me from bike commuting in the first place. A moist towel and deodorant bar fixes the 1st issue. Road awareness deals with the perceived threats drivers and pedestrians don't register. Though this last year, I have biked by 2 car accidents, 1 pedestrian fatality and about a dozen roadkill(raccoons, rabbits, squirrel, owl, and one deer). So yeah, road awareness.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X