No announcement yet.

Medical Discussion of Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think we use too many carrots and not enough sticks in this country.

I think the only way forward is to fine, then shut down businesses that do not enforce masking on their customers.

Is it beyond the pale to imagine the government hiring lots of "narcs" in street clothes going to grocery stores, gas stations etc. making sure they are turning away all customers who aren't wearing masks and handing out tickets to businesses that aren't complying? Too dangerous a job?

It's a lot harder to control what people do once they get inside but the least we can do is make sure no one goes in an enclosed space without a mask.

Comment

• Originally posted by fatlittlepig View Post

You’re just now realizing that the country has a problem?
      No...I'm finally accepting that it appears intractable and unfixable, and hoping I'm wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by snowcanyon View Post

No...I'm finally accepting that it appears intractable and unfixable, and hoping I'm wrong.
        “What, exactly, is our plan?”
        Hoping is not a plan is it?

Comment

• Renowned historian and filmmaker Ken Burns recently called the covid pandemic America's 4th great crisis, after Civil War, Great Depression, and World War II. Hard to argue at this point that it's not.

With the recent surge in the Sun Belt, this could finally be the straw that broke the camel's back, in terms of covid-deniers finally waking up and realizing this is a real threat, when it starts to affect their loves ones and neighbors at an ever increasing rate. Maybe people will start to take the advice of competent leaders and scientists, but then again, probably not. Until social media places more restrictions on disinformation and propaganda, not much will change, is my guess.

Comment

• Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

I think it's probably too late for all that to happen.
            It's not too late. It's just not likely to happen, because many people are virulently anti-fact/anti-science. They gain more by politicizing facts than by advancing rational science. The profit motive is all wrong. So this continues.

​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by FIREshrink View Post

It's not too late. It's just not likely to happen, because many people are virulently anti-fact/anti-science. They gain more by politicizing facts than by advancing rational science. The profit motive is all wrong. So this continues.

​​​
              It's mainly Facebook, which is the biggest culprit of misinformation. Now that a slew of advertisers are pulling ads from the platform, they may be more amenable to changing their policies to better filter out all the drivel. Their share price took a huge hit last week, so something will be done for sure. Money talks. But will it be enough - highly unlikely.

Comment

• have you seen the "karens" in florida promoting resistance to wearing masks because "why would you mess with gods breathing system"? Unfortunately until many of them get infected and stuck in an ICU, nothing will change their opinions. Also heard of sheriffs in washington trying to rally people against face masks. Its not like our country hasnt been through this before (antimask 1918 SF). Wearing masks works, and combined with washing your hands can lead to a path forward with minimal other measures required to minimize/contain the disease. But much of our country will refuse these measures and unfortunately prolong our social, health and economic pain.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tim View Post

“What, exactly, is our plan?”
                  Hoping is not a plan is it?
                  Our plan is the swedish plan, 'merican style.

Comment

• Originally posted by FIREshrink View Post

​​​
                    You're also talking about a country that was founded on not listening to what the government told them for better or for worse.

Comment

• Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

You're also talking about a country that was founded on not listening to what the government told them for better or for worse.
                      I would kindly push back that this is objectively not true - there's a big difference between that and a more historical account of our founding being attributed to not wanting to listen to a govt in which WE HAD NO REPRESENTATION - it wasnt 'govt is evil' - it was 'govt that doesn't rep us through a democratic/republic process is evil.'

That's an important distinction in today's political atmosphere and sorry for not staying totally on topic here.

Comment

• Mask compliance here in NY is pretty good. I just had my fist patient who refused to wear one. And for some reason my staff let her through. I stuck my head in the room and said if you refuse then leave. Guess what she put on a mask. I had a discussion with my office staff about being tough.

​​​​i hate wearing a mask as much as anyone else but I understand it's importance. I long for the day we can burn these things!

Comment

• Originally posted by East coast View Post

I would kindly push back that this is objectively not true - there's a big difference between that and a more historical account of our founding being attributed to not wanting to listen to a govt in which WE HAD NO REPRESENTATION - it wasnt 'govt is evil' - it was 'govt that doesn't rep us through a democratic/republic process is evil.'

That's an important distinction in today's political atmosphere and sorry for not staying totally on topic here.
                          I guess I don't make that big of a distinction as the bottom line is that they didn't listen and Americans are still reluctant to listen to the government and many have good reason.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lordosis View Post
                            Mask compliance here in NY is pretty good. I just had my fist patient who refused to wear one. And for some reason my staff let her through. I stuck my head in the room and said if you refuse then leave. Guess what she put on a mask. I had a discussion with my office staff about being tough.

​​​​i hate wearing a mask as much as anyone else but I understand it's importance. I long for the day we can burn these things!
                            I think compliance may improve when people start seeing that Granny has to go to the refrigerated truck for a while because the morgues are all full. Outside of the urban NE, the rest of the country has not had that fear of God struck upon us. The tenor of the media has changed and we are all numb to this.

I still do not know anyone who’s come down with this, which makes it harder to practice social distancing. My hospital mask broke today so I had to tie it back in place, and my ear is already sore. Most of the social workers and some of the nurses seem content to wear them around their chins, which is probably about as effective as a broken condom.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lithium View Post

I think compliance may improve when people start seeing that Granny has to go to the refrigerated truck for a while because the morgues are all full. Outside of the urban NE, the rest of the country has not had that fear of God struck upon us. The tenor of the media has changed and we are all numb to this..

Besides not trusting the government, people are also highly suspicious of the news media. The recent protests and riots have not helped the mask debate, and have probably only worsened it. This is not a slight against the protesting. All this time telling people to minimize group size, don't gather at funerals, stay six feet apart, and wear a mask. Next thing you see on TV are large crowds side by side protesting, a very large crowd gathered for the Floyd funeral, and basically minimal mention of social distancing/mask wearing reminders from any one in an authoritarian, or leadership, position. Not sure anyone would've listened but it would've helped push the social distancing/mask wearing idea further if the news media had at least continued to say "I know this is a very tumultuous time but we still need to remember to do our best to prevent the spread of the virus". At least they would've been getting the message out over and over again to remind people. Instead, most news media almost immediately dropped most coverage of the coronavirus to cover the protests. People have the right to protest but I hope they will be considerate, and remember any elderly or frail family members and stay away from them during this time.

Comment

• some protests had good mask compliance. other protests looked like a nightmare scenario for spread. Agree it was a wasted opportunity to highlight mask wearing importance for any outside public activity around others.

Comment

Working...
                                X