Medical Discussion of Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

That comparison was mainly to the link about the guy that got 90 COVID shots but I also understand you didn't really mean that it's safe just because one person got 90 shots.

It would be easier if these companies would release all of their data. To my knowledge, I don't believe that has been the case for Paxlovid but I quit following it over the last few weeks as cases plummeted.

Agreed, would also increase trust in the general population. It is ok to have a nuanced approach and to also say that we don't have all the answers.

Comment

• Hospitals are greatly decreasing mask mandates.
      Public transportation is eliminating mask mandates.
      Employers are removing new hire vaccine requirements and masking.

I wonder if “violators” or “terminated” people will be allowed a pardon of back into life. The CDC seems to have a Covidian Complex.

I wonder if the negative test requirement for return ? The political value of COVID is in remission. I wonder when and if “boosters” will ever gain political credibility.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tim View Post
        Hospitals are greatly decreasing mask mandates.
        Public transportation is eliminating mask mandates.
        Employers are removing new hire vaccine requirements and masking.

I wonder if “violators” or “terminated” people will be allowed a pardon of back into life. The CDC seems to have a Covidian Complex.

I wonder if the negative test requirement for return ? The political value of COVID is in remission. I wonder when and if “boosters” will ever gain political credibility.
        I'd prefer a mask on plane (athough i get it- hepa filters and all) over a "test at resort, then stay there another day before you fly back" mandate. One cant be faked, one can. If we are tossing all mandates aside, the neg test done at a resort in a foreign country is more useless imho.

Comment

• With the dropping of mask mandates but some transportation ares still holding on it, there will be bound to be some confusion.

NJ has dropped it for NJ transit but NY transit trains and subways still have it. So should NJ passengers commuting into NYC put it on at the border?

Airlines and many airports have dropped it but Philly and SF airport still cling to it? So will unmasked deplaning passengers be fined in those airports or will they provide masks there to passengers on arrival?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kamban View Post
            With the dropping of mask mandates but some transportation ares still holding on it, there will be bound to be some confusion.

NJ has dropped it for NJ transit but NY transit trains and subways still have it. So should NJ passengers commuting into NYC put it on at the border?

Airlines and many airports have dropped it but Philly and SF airport still cling to it? So will unmasked deplaning passengers be fined in those airports or will they provide masks there to passengers on arrival?
            Point well made. Somehow everyone seem to claim they are following the science. It now seems NY, Philly and SF all use the same "experts". The WH seems to support those as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kamban View Post
              With the dropping of mask mandates but some transportation ares still holding on it, there will be bound to be some confusion.

I once lived on the boarder of NY and PA. The state boarder was the Delaware river. Motorcyclists would don/doff their helmets as they crossed the bridge.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lordosis View Post

I once lived on the boarder of NY and PA. The state boarder was the Delaware river. Motorcyclists would don/doff their helmets as they crossed the bridge.
                I can guess which side had the higher availability of donor organs…

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxPower View Post

I can guess which side had the higher availability of donor organs…
                  The bridge. Call it a tie.

Comment

• EDIT: This chart apparently does not originate from the NYTs. I don't subscribe to the NYTs and they have a paywall so I couldn't look up the article. I got this chart from another article describing it. Sorry for the inaccuracy!

Click image for larger version  Name:	FQuBD7hWYAIHFr8?format=jpg&name=small.jpg Views:	55 Size:	33.5 KB ID:	330240
                    Last edited by K82; 04-19-2022, 06:31 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by K82 View Post
                      I found this chart interesting from the NY Times comparing case loads in states with mask mandates vs no mask mandates. This certainly seems to suggest that masks don't make any real difference. I am very happy I can now fly without one!

Click image for larger version

Name:	FQuBD7hWYAIHFr8?format=jpg&name=small.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	330240
                      I don't have access to the NYT. Did they happen to have city data in states with/without mask mandates?

Comment

• Originally posted by G View Post

I don't have access to the NYT. Did they happen to have city data in states with/without mask mandates?
                        This is not a chart from NYT nor was it in the NYT. It was done by Ian Miller (using data from NYT best I can tell) who wrote a book on ineffectiveness of masks mandates.

I'm not debating whether it's accurate or not and have no reason to suggest it isn't. But I would say the initial characterization is misleading by K82

Edited to add: I couldn't really find all that much on the person who put this together. Other than that they are connected with the Brownstone Institute - "Libertarian think tank that advocates for Anarcho-Capitalism". Again, not suggesting the data is incorrect or misinterpreted, but I was hoping for some more credentials. Suffice it to say that this has only shown up in very specific ideologic circles at the moment.
                        Last edited by East coast; 04-19-2022, 02:16 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by East coast View Post

This is not a chart from NYT nor was it in the NYT. It was done by Ian Miller (using data from NYT best I can tell) who wrote a book on ineffectiveness of masks mandates.

I'm not debating whether it's accurate or not and have no reason to suggest it isn't. But I would say the initial characterization is misleading by K82

Edited to add: I couldn't really find all that much on the person who put this together. Other than that they are connected with the Brownstone Institute - "Libertarian think tank that advocates for Anarcho-Capitalism". Again, not suggesting the data is incorrect or misinterpreted, but I was hoping for some more credentials. Suffice it to say that this has only shown up in very specific ideologic circles at the moment.
                          My apologies. I got it from another article and when I tried to look it up at the NYTs website it had a pay wall, I don't subscribe so I couldn't see the article. I will addend my post.

Comment

• Originally posted by East coast View Post

Case loads of what? Per 100k people, infractions, hospitalizations. Graphical presentation is easily manipulated to imply false conclusions.
                            I wish CDC or some impartial group would actually present data, numerically and graphically about masking.

Comment

• This isn't where I initially saw the chart but I found the article that describes its origin best:

https://www.city-journal.org/the-fai...17NvGo.twitter

As I understand it, Ian Miller took data from the NYTs and plotted the chart. I was mistaken that the Times published it but I don't have any reason to believe the data is inaccurate (I haven't been able to find anyone refuting his numbers), although I don't have access to his source data from the NYTs.
                              Last edited by K82; 04-20-2022, 04:05 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tim View Post

I wish CDC or some impartial group
                                “Or” is definitely the correct wording here.

Comment

Working...
                                X